JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was a last hurrah before Wash. state laws and procedures change July 1st. It seemed to me that a lot of nice guns came out of the woodwork, with their owners thinking that it might be more difficult to sell after the change in the law.

The new changes will cause headaches for buying/selling semi-auto rifles. All of which have been classed as "assault rifles." Also going into effect, waiting period for all handgun transfers, including for people holding a concealed carry permit. This has to do with the technicalities of how the background check is done, as I understand it. For temporary venues such as gun shows, the difficulty is the seller or transfer agent (FFL dealer) will have to impound the firearm until the background check is completed. I think I read they can release it after ten days, but I'm not certain about that, just read it in the WAC News.

The problem is, under these circumstances, a person doesn't want to buy a gun from a seller who is too distant from his place of residence. Because you are gonna have to pick the gun up some time later. This is gonna be an issue for gun shows, whose attendees come from all over.

Anyway, I didn't go to this show with any object in mind but I did buy this nice Colt Official Police revolver in .22 LR:

YoQONX8.jpg

7TzlUnC.jpg

WmsJ0Xl.jpg

Very nice revolver, made in 1960. I'm basically a Smith & Wesson guy but I sure appreciate the action of a nice Colt like this. These were basically a practice gun for police officers who had the same service revolver in .38 Special. I have a couple of Smith & Wesson Model 18's, which was their .22 practice version of the Combat Masterpiece. I prefer the indirect firing pin of the Smith, as the Colt strikes directly. But this Colt is a real nice piece of machinery. The previous owner said this gun "had been in hiding for a long time."

I got some other stuff, several boxes of bullets at the right price. A brick of brand new CCI Mini-Mag .22's for $22, the same thing that cost $50 about three years ago. Remember that noise? Got some brass for reloading, like I need more.

The year that Colt was made, 1960, the cost to mail a First Class letter was four cents.

I'm not sure how the changes in the laws July 1st are going to play out for the survival of the WAC. They have tried mightily to enable members to deal with the effects of I-594 and for the most part, that has gone over reasonably well. Now the wait time on all handguns as well as semi-auto rifles will be an even bigger challenge. They've already mentioned organizing a safety class that supposedly would satisfy the requirements of I-1639. I don't know how they will get around the wait time for handguns. Maybe some kind of centralized escrow service where all dealers might deposit guns on hold? Surely that would involve staffing and more expense and possibly too abstract for Olympia to understand and accept. Well, I just read that the WAC wants to buy their own office building down in Sumner which has space in excess of what the organization needs for their own administration. Maybe they could set up a strong room to hold pending handguns in escrow, everyone could pick their pieces up there the following month in conjunction with attending the next show. The new law says the dealer must hold it; I don't know that it says where the dealer must do this. Sometimes reading the text of laws allows the discovery of satisfactory solutions that are outside the box.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top