JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wish I had the knowhow to cut and paste the response I sent to my reps via the link on this thread. I let them have it from my point of view. Was the walsh you refer to maureen walsh from walla walla? If so, she's gonna get an earfull from this benton county voter.

I was there in person to witness what I thought was a fiasco and I was not disappointed.
What I thought was really inconceivable was that Committee chairman Brian Blake gave Jim Unsworth (Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife director) unlimited time to spiel his reasoning for price increases & then set everyone to 3 minutes!!!!
There were more citizens against than those for this bill (of course they were WDFW people).
I registered before the meeting started and opted not to testify due to having a bad day already and I didn't want it to get worse by being dragged out of that committee room by Capital security, which I knew I would have been....
I got the feeling that those committee who showed up on time (less than half) had already made up their minds and didn't need no stinking testimony from no one......:mad::mad::mad:
Thank you to all that showed up and especially those who testified well done gentlemen and women.

Although there was a good showing of citizens against there should have been people standing out into the hallway to. I know people have to work but they will take a day off to go to the Sportsman Show but won't take an afternoon off to go stand up for their rights (not just fishing) okay rant over, sorry, well maybe not.:rolleyes:

I too was confused about Unsworth getting unlimited time to speak while limiting the rest to 2-3 minutes; however, I did count 15 opposing, 9 in favor and 1 neutral spoke on HB 1647, which ended up making for a much stronger and definitely more diverse argument against this bill. Mr. Robert (Rawl?), the speaker from Grays Harbor who got a little too passionate (understandably so) and was told to cut it out, I think was still able to deliver a very good point and shed light on the real dirty issue no one in government likes to talk about but know exist.

I was fairly pleased with the questions Rep. Blake, Rep. Springer, Rep. Fey, Rep. Walsh and Rep. Walcott asked the WDFW at the closing of the session. I believe these questions made the WDFW uneasy and their answers further proved the point that HB 1647 as it's written is an attack on honest recreational fishermen(women) and hunters preserving a culture, putting food on their plates, making a living, any or all.

Mostly though, I think Rep. Blake's closing statement as the chairman said it best in saying that he fears that increasing fees will equate to less sales of licenses and therefore less revenue for the WDFW. To even say that due to personal economic choices, he himself did not purchase a license last year says a lot.

Perhaps, safe to say we'll be okay? But let's keep an eye on it!

I was there in person to witness what I thought was a fiasco and I was not disappointed.
What I thought was really inconceivable was that Committee chairman Brian Blake gave Jim Unsworth (Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife director) unlimited time to spiel his reasoning for price increases & then set everyone to 3 minutes!!!!
There were more citizens against than those for this bill (of course they were WDFW people).
I registered before the meeting started and opted not to testify due to having a bad day already and I didn't want it to get worse by being dragged out of that committee room by Capital security, which I knew I would have been....
I got the feeling that those committee who showed up on time (less than half) had already made up their minds and didn't need no stinking testimony from no one......:mad::mad::mad:
Thank you to all that showed up and especially those who testified well done gentlemen and women.

Although there was a good showing of citizens against there should have been people standing out into the hallway to. I know people have to work but they will take a day off to go to the Sportsman Show but won't take an afternoon off to go stand up for their rights (not just fishing) okay rant over, sorry, well maybe not.:rolleyes:

Damn, I wish I could been there with you, but I've been in Charlotte all week and won't be able to leave until tomorrow.

In hindsight, it's probably a good thing I wasn't there; there's a good possibility that would have been thrown out for not being able to hold my tongue. I might have told those bubbleguming bubblegummers what I really think of them and their ideas.

As for Blake, have you ever known a demonrat in recent history that hasn't wanted an increase in extortion fees by the govt.?

The sad part about this bill, even though it is sponsored solely by dems, it has the support of some Republicans. This is the only email I received from one of my reps on a related bill, HB 1229. (note that all 3 of my reps are Republicans)

Ed Orcutt said:
Ray,

I agree and have made very clear statements to WDFW that there are very significant economic benefits to maintaining a healthy sportfishing industry. And that we need to maximize the predictability and sportfishing opportunity in order to assure that we achieve that benefit. I have also indicated that sportfishers are expecting more opportunity -- more value -- if they are going to be asked (required) to pay more for their licenses and tags. And I have pushed back on WDFW regarding the amount they are trying to raise the costs -- even if you do get more opportunity.

I hope that helps you to know how I am already working to help sportfishing in our state.

Ed
emphasis is mine

Seriously? He's only "pushing back" on how much they want to raise our licenses? So doubling our license costs is too much, but is 49% fee increase is OK with him? It's not with me! Bubblegum these people, they're pushing me to the point, if this goes through, that I will no longer condemn poachers. Hell, if things keep progressing as they are, I may............. never mind, that talk doesn't need to be out in the public.

Ray

I too was confused about Unsworth getting unlimited time to speak while limiting the rest to 2-3 minutes; however, I did count 15 opposing, 9 in favor and 1 neutral spoke on HB 1647, which ended up making for a much stronger and definitely more diverse argument against this bill. Mr. Robert (Rawl?), the speaker from Grays Harbor who got a little too passionate (understandably so) and was told to cut it out, I think was still able to deliver a very good point and shed light on the real dirty issue no one in government likes to talk about but know exist.

I was fairly pleased with the questions Rep. Blake, Rep. Springer, Rep. Fey, Rep. Walsh and Rep. Walcott asked the WDFW at the closing of the session. I believe these questions made the WDFW uneasy and their answers further proved the point that HB 1647 as it's written is an attack on honest recreational fishermen(women) and hunters preserving a culture, putting food on their plates, making a living, any or all.

Mostly though, I think Rep. Blake's closing statement as the chairman said it best in saying that he fears that increasing fees will equate to less sales of licenses and therefore less revenue for the WDFW. To even say that due to personal economic choices, he himself did not purchase a license last year says a lot.

That's kind of odd that Springer was asking good questions..........he's one of the sponsors of this POS. Probably just trying to put on a show and pretend that he's engaged.

Ray

I do thank you for your assessment of the meeting, although I am there in person you retained more of the contents than I did. I am hearing impaired and do not hear all that is being said as people have different voice tones that I do not comprehend. Even though I am handicapped I still attend these meetings because I am a physical body for them to see. I was sitting on the left side in the second row, do they even show the audience on those webcasts?

I could see that the WDFW trio were squirming in their chairs while the questions were being asked. Good for the legislators for wanting more information (or at least making a show) it's hard to tell of their true intentions (them being politicians and all)....

I stopped buying a waterfowl license years ago when they cut the weekly duck and goose hunting times to 3 days a week. I'm done hunting in this state. More $$$$ and less opportunities. :mad::mad::mad:

BTW, for anyone interested... this is happening tomorrow Friday and Saturday!

"The commission, a citizen panel appointed by the governor to set policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will convene in Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building at 1111 Washington St. SE in Olympia. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. both days."
Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay salmon fisheries under review - KXRO News Radio

Some topics being discussed:
- North Pacific Fishery Management
- Surf Smelt Spawning Beach Occupancy
- Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay salmon fisheries, review and look ahead
- Management of wolf population
- Land transfer in Chelan County

Full agenda for these meetings:
February 10-11, 2017 Agenda | Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission Meeting

Damn, I wish I could been there with you, but I've been in Charlotte all week and won't be able to leave until tomorrow.
Charlotte is not that far from Ft. Bragg (Fayettville) where I grew up....

In hindsight, it's probably a good thing I wasn't there; there's a good possibility that would have been thrown out for not being able to hold my tongue. I might have told those bubbleguming bubblegummers what I really think of them and their ideas.

Why do you think I didn't go & sit up front.... I wasn't having a good day & didn't want to make it worse.....

As for Blake, have you ever known a demonrat in recent history that hasn't wanted an increase in extortion fees by the govt.?

It's no wonder because he is a huge commercial fishing proponent, I mentioned that at the gun rally in Jan. There was one guy who brought up the absence of an increase in commercials license to that made Blake sit up straight....

The sad part about this bill, even though it is sponsored solely by dems, it has the support of some Republicans. This is the only email I received from one of my reps on a related bill, HB 1229. (note that all 3 of my reps are Republicans)

I do wonder sometimes but I know the reason, they (the R's) are vastly outnumbered in this Liberal utopia and get picked on for opening their mouths or questioning anything. The D's are friggin bullies!!!

emphasis is mine

Seriously? He's only "pushing back" on how much they want to raise our licenses? So doubling our license costs is too much, but is 49% fee increase is OK with him? It's not with me! Bubblegum these people, they're pushing me to the point, if this goes through, that I will no longer condemn poachers. Hell, if things keep progressing as they are, I may............. never mind, that talk doesn't need to be out in the public.

It is frustrating to say the least but can only just keep their feet to the fire till it's all said & done. Keep thoes emails coming even to Unsworth.;)

Ray

That's kind of odd that Springer was asking good questions..........he's one of the sponsors of this POS. Probably just trying to put on a show and pretend that he's engaged.

Ray

I too was surprised about that. In the beginning he made a few confusing statements about his involvement in the bill and why he brought this bill to the table at all. It was kind of odd, not sure if he was implying that he did it as a favor and not on his own volition.

He asked the WDFW that if they don't get the 25 million they're asking for by increasing fees, if that would mean they would not do as they plan or if they would stop what they are currently doing. The WDFW's answer was weak in saying that they 25 million is to "maintain current service levels into 17-19" and to that Rep. Springer said it would have been helpful to their case to present to the committee what it is specifically the WDFW would not be able to accomplish without the funding. I thought it was a semi slick way to tell the WDFW "you didn't prepare therefore you may be screwed". Who knows.

BTW, for anyone interested... this is happening tomorrow Friday and Saturday!

"The commission, a citizen panel appointed by the governor to set policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will convene in Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building at 1111 Washington St. SE in Olympia. The meeting is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. both days."
Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay salmon fisheries under review - KXRO News Radio

Some topics being discussed:
- North Pacific Fishery Management
- Surf Smelt Spawning Beach Occupancy
- Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay salmon fisheries, review and look ahead
- Management of wolf population
- Land transfer in Chelan County

Full agenda for these meetings:
February 10-11, 2017 Agenda | Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission Meeting

Thank you for putting this out there!!! I wonder when this was originally put out to the public? There is way too much stuff to keep track of between the anti-gun bills and fisheries mismanagement.... We got to keep on em!!!

I do thank you for your assessment of the meeting, although I am there in person you retained more of the contents than I did. I am hearing impaired and do not hear all that is being said as people have different voice tones that I do not comprehend. Even though I am handicapped I still attend these meetings because I am a physical body for them to see. I was sitting on the left side in the second row, do they even show the audience on those webcasts?

I could see that the WDFW trio were squirming in their chairs while the questions were being asked. Good for the legislators for wanting more information (or at least making a show) it's hard to tell of their true intentions (them being politicians and all)....

I stopped buying a waterfowl license years ago when they cut the weekly duck and goose hunting times to 3 days a week. I'm done hunting in this state. More $$$$ and less opportunities. :mad::mad::mad:

Glad you were still able to represent for us physically, thank you for that.

The camera is pointed at the committee/legislators only during these smaller conference room webcasts but audio is clearly heard from anyone in the room that is speaking.

I too was surprised about that. In the beginning he made a few confusing statements about his involvement in the bill and why he brought this bill to the table at all. It was kind of odd, not sure if he was implying that he did it as a favor and not on his own volition.

He asked the WDFW that if they don't get the 25 million they're asking for by increasing fees, if that would mean they would not do as they plan or if they would stop what they are currently doing. The WDFW's answer was weak in saying that they 25 million is to "maintain current service levels into 17-19" and to that Rep. Springer said it would have been helpful to their case to present to the committee what it is specifically the WDFW would not be able to accomplish without the funding. I thought it was a semi slick way to tell the WDFW "you didn't prepare therefore you may be screwed". Who knows.

I heard most of that conversation but failed to get the whole conversation. Like I was sayin, it's really hard to get their true intentions, they are either mildly concerned or they are some real "Slick Willies"....
DMNT Ray, you are my ears & I am your eyes!!!!:p:p:p

emphasis is mine

Ray

Yeaaaaah umm, that "pushing back" is like saying, I'm still going to stab you in the back BUT not with a sharp knife, a butter knife instead, yeah that's better for you! LOL!

Actually, you'll be happy to know that Rep. Blake (D) told me prior to this hearing that he does not support this bill and Sen. Takko (D) acknowledged "the bill has problems, in fact it could not get a single senator to sign on".

Glad you were still able to represent for us physically, thank you for that.

The camera is pointed at the committee/legislators only during these smaller conference room webcasts but audio is clearly heard from anyone in the room that is speaking.

My situational awareness was scoping out the joint & saw three cameras, 2 pointing at the committee/legislators and the one pointing at the crowd was pointing upwards so figured it was on put that way on purpose. The other cameras disguised as tinted half moons over the speakers was defiantly turned on and probably had facial recognition capabilities.:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you for putting this out there!!! I wonder when this was originally put out to the public? There is way too much stuff to keep track of between the anti-gun bills and fisheries mismanagement.... We got to keep on em!!!

This Tuesday, February 7th is when this hit the news. You're welcome!

There is in fact too much to keep track of. I'm signed up for e-newsletters from all my legislative and congressional reps and sens websites', signed up for notifications on bills sponsored by them from the state's website and also signed up for daily legislative updates overall in WA which include daily agendas and blah blah blah still can't find time to get to all of them oh man, how they make it so easy and so difficult all at once.

They are not sportsmen like us. Our wildlife is sadly just another comodity they can tax to pursue their liberal agendas. The more we like our wildlife, the more they will tax it. Let's give them a real ache in the annulus for that taxation though, huh?

I remember when you sold it, I had just bought my 18' sled.... I liked your setup.
I have taken a new direction and basically said to HEII with Salmon & Steelhead and have since got the Kokanee bug.... I want to do some catfish & warm water species this year if I decide to keep my boat.

I'm in the same boat. If I do get the fishing bug, I will get a freshwater license and fish for warmwater species only. Having a good old fashioned fish fry - yellow perch especially - and some cold beer is a good way to burn a sunny, summer weekend.

If you get the warmwater fishing bug, check the Shouweiler Ponds. They have got a little of everything in there. I have caught catfish, yellow perch, white crappie, black crappie, bluegills (they even have few bullgills lurking about), largemouth, a few smallmouth, and a few walleye (someone dumped them - not WDFW - a few years back) but they are small.

Also there are some huge largemouths in the Shouweiler ponds. I was fishing one of the ponds on the southside and casting this giant green Rebel diving crawdad, and this huge largemouth grabbed it and spooled me!! That was in the late 90's but I caught some real monsters just stitching a nitecrawler on the bottom too. Those little diving Rapalas in rainbow trout and shad work good as well.

Also if you have a small boat check out Wenzel Slough - on the airport side.

They are not sportsmen like us. Our wildlife is sadly just another comodity they can tax to pursue their liberal agendas. The more we like our wildlife, the more they will tax it. Let's give them a real ache in the annulus for that taxation though, huh?

Yeah he did mention at this meeting that it was a market, we could reach this Market by doing a sports pack that it covers everything and we could Market the other people that don't fish but hunt. Snakes on a plane for sure.
When this price increase first came out it came with the letter from him stating that fishing is an expensive Leisure sport like golf or skiing and in Washington we have a corner on that market so it should be funded to make it just as expensive.

Yeah he did mention at this meeting that it was a market, we could reach this Market by doing a sports pack that it covers everything and we could Market the other people that don't fish but hunt. Snakes on a plane for sure.
When this price increase first came out it came with the letter from him stating that fishing is an expensive Leisure sport like golf or skiing and in Washington we have a corner on that market so it should be funded to make it just as expensive.

Last time I checked golfing and skiing did not require licenses, which are pretty much permits. At this rate, someday we'll also be obligated to pay for fishing specific areas of open rivers, lakes, bays and the ocean and they'll call it "resort fishing" or "fishing course".

SMFH

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads