Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA knife laws

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Nwcid, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I am usually pretty up on state laws but was just asked a question I can not find an answer to.

What are the laws concerning minors and knives?

I have seen RCW 9.41.250 and .270 but that does not really cover the question. Links would be helpful.

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

3. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

RCW 9.41.040 is the only RCW with both knife and minor in it. (use the legislature's search function).

IMHO: you first need to define "minor" (under 18) and then "knife". If the type of "knife" you are asking about is defind as a "dangerous weapon" then we all have a problem because our CPL is not a "concealed weapons license", it is a "concealed pistol License".

4. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

It looks like RCW 9.41.270 is the controlling section for knife carrying/possession in public, and it doesn't make a distinction between minors and others (thus applying to everybody). It seems to be applicable only based on circumstances (knife carried to intimidate or to cause harm to others), but the case law needs to be checked to see whether courts extended that section with their interpretations.