JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm appalled. Appalled I tell you. American military personnel are training on US territory to figure out how to defend US territory? ! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

And peolpe wonder why I'm bailing out of this bubblegum state the minute I retire. And that minute is only a couple of moths away.. :)

Next month's headline:

"Environmentalists welcome Chinese troops training at Washington state parks
Residents hail international cooperation"

"I do not care to catch a glimpse of apparently armed men skulking around and I DEFINITELY do not want to risk having my young grandchildren see such a sight," a resident wrote"

Shame. If I lived where this was going on and had kids or grand kids? I would be taking them to watch and telling them "this is the kind of people who kept you from growing up being a slave. Respect them.

I had a neighbor complain to me that he didn't like the sound of the Air Guard jets going over.
I told him it was the sound of Freedom. He should embrace it.
I think seeing SEALs training would be the "sight of freedom"
Yes! Take you children to watch.

While up in the woods near Cusick WA, I've come across folks from the Fairchild SERE school. I said hello and went about my day. Pretty sure I have PTSD from the experience.

I had a neighbor complain to me that he didn't like the sound of the Air Guard jets going over.
I told him it was the sound of Freedom. He should embrace it.
I think seeing SEALs training would be the "sight of freedom"
Yes! Take you children to watch.
What kind of red-blooded male does not like the sound of military jets? What should they fly over stadiums instead, hot air balloons?

People are so *lame* now, I am ashamed.

I bet if the Taliban was training they'd take their children to learn about other cultures.

What kind of red-blooded male does not like the sound of military jets? What should they fly over stadiums instead, hot air balloons?

People are so *lame* now, I am ashamed.

I bet if the Taliban was training they'd take their children to learn about other cultures.
Same people who moved in right next door to the PIR racetrack and then complained to the city of the noise.

"I do not care to catch a glimpse of apparently armed men skulking around and I DEFINITELY do not want to risk having my young grandchildren see such a sight," a resident wrote"

Shame. If I lived where this was going on and had kids or grand kids? I would be taking them to watch and telling them "this is the kind of people who kept you from growing up being a slave. Respect them.
The only possible way you can live so soft a life as to get the vapors over a training exercise is if there are some very scary men ready to stop all who would dare try to take it from you. Once you regain your footing, go thank one of them before you go get yourself a soy latte and text someone a cat picture.

A while after 911, I cant recall exactly, the State of Comifornia closed down the Angeles Crest Mountains to all public access. You could drive through the 2 Hwy but you could not park. I was unaware as I do not reall there being any public announcements or even postings on the highway.

I was home for a short leave period from San Diego and my friend and I were approached by sheriffs three times whenever we stopped, and this was within about a thirty mile stretch. The first two said only that we couldn't park where we were (Sarcastically: cops are so articulate, aren't they?), so we drove on to another spot with the purpose of day trekking. At our third stop, we parked, locked the car and went for a trek.

Within ten minutes we could hear a loud speaker giving the plate number and description of my car, and directing us to return. For **its and giggles we quietly cased out the two deputies as they wandered around the parking area and when they were in the right spot we crossed the highway, unseen, took cover for a bit, and then quietly walked up on them from behind. I could not believe how close we got to them before we said " hey there deputies". the looks on their faces was priceless. They were not happy.

The asked why we didn't come down, blah, blah, blah... we told 'em, "we're here now aren't we?'
"Why did you sneak up on us like that?"
"What do you mean, we walked up to you right on the same path you were walking"

I know. it was mean and uncalled for but I didn't like the attitude of two previous goons that stopped us because at that time, and in my opinion These were MY MOUNTAINS!! I know them like the back of my hand as I'd been hiking camping and hunting them since I could talk. I wanted an explanation, damnit! Not just an order from some goon (who likely never served) who felt that he didnt have to explain himself.

After the second stop we figured that it was possible that the military was doing some kind of training exercises, as the terrain of The Crest (just the nickname for the entire range) is somewhat similar in its ruggedness to that of Afghanistan (which we already knew was going to be Uncle Sam's next stop).

The goons let us go with a few threats (Hope they had a change of shorts) and we were on our way.

I never did find out why public access was closed. And it was strange to me because in my entire life I cannot ever recall that happening. And like I said before (in my mind) these were MY mountains (....they're mine).

My whole point though, is that if the Army, or SeALs or whoever, actually had been there and we had been hiking and never saw them, I'd say they were doing a pretty good job.

A while after 911, I cant recall exactly, the State of Comifornia closed down the Angeles Crest Mountains to all public access. You could drive through the 2 Hwy but you could not park. I was unaware as I do not reall there being any public announcements or even postings on the highway.

I was home for a short leave period from San Diego and my friend and I were approached by sheriffs three times whenever we stopped, and this was within about a thirty mile stretch. The first two said only that we couldn't park where we were (Sarcastically: cops are so articulate, aren't they?), so we drove on to another spot with the purpose of day trekking. At our third stop, we parked, locked the car and went for a trek.

Within ten minutes we could hear a loud speaker giving the plate number and description of my car, and directing us to return. For **its and giggles we quietly cased out the two deputies as they wandered around the parking area and when they were in the right spot we crossed the highway, unseen, took cover for a bit, and then quietly walked up on them from behind. I could not believe how close we got to them before we said " hey there deputies". the looks on their faces was priceless. They were not happy.

The asked why we didn't come down, blah, blah, blah... we told 'em, "we're here now aren't we?'
"Why did you sneak up on us like that?"
"What do you mean, we walked up to you right on the same path you were walking"

I know. it was mean and uncalled for but I didn't like the attitude of two previous goons that stopped us because at that time, and in my opinion These were MY MOUNTAINS!! I know them like the back of my hand as I'd been hiking camping and hunting them since I could talk. I wanted an explanation, damnit! Not just an order from some goon (who likely never served) who felt that he didnt have to explain himself.

After the second stop we figured that it was possible that the military was doing some kind of training exercises, as the terrain of The Crest (just the nickname for the entire range) is somewhat similar in its ruggedness to that of Afghanistan (which we already knew was going to be Uncle Sam's next stop).

The goons let us go with a few threats (Hope they had a change of shorts) and we were on our way.

I never did find out why public access was closed. And it was strange to me because in my entire life I cannot ever recall that happening. And like I said before (in my mind) these were MY mountains (....they're mine).

My whole point though, is that if the Army, or SeALs or whoever, actually had been there and we had been hiking and never saw them, I'd say they were doing a pretty good job.
In my early 20's I was hanging out with some friends in a pinball hall's parking lot. I spotted a guy I knew standing in an alley and called out to him. He completely ignored me and another guy. Later it occurred to me why he'd be in an alley in tee shirt and have a paper bag in his hand. He was a local cop. Oh yeah, that's where I know him. :rolleyes: He was pretty decent guy and I'm sure he knew we were just out drinking and hitting on the college girls, but I got a nice lecture from him later about not interfering with his work. And a chance to tell him how much he looked nothing like a wino with his pressed pants, pristine shirt and buzzcut hair. I don't think either of us learned a thing. :D

Howabout the Navy just close shop in this state, and move it's operations to a more friendly state? All of it. I wonder how that would go over. Probably too woke to consider such.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top