JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My fellow Brothers in Arms, when you served over in Vietnam (I didn't, too yong at the time) would you (could you) have EVER imagined you'd someday see a return address like this on a padded envelope containing one of those custom shaped, foil party-ballon?!

o_O:eek:

46A9AA9A-DA72-470E-B1A9-84A256677407.jpeg FBD79449-1F3E-4C02-AD6A-07A3A6C46CB4.jpeg

Anyone who was there, or was just alive at that time, along with those who missed it. Watch the Ken Burns documentary on this. He does not pull punches or try to blame it all on the GOP. VERY well done.

Well they love us over there now, and we even have a military base there again! They're weary of China attempting to invade them like you wouldn't believe.

Well they love us over there now, and we even have a military base there again! They're weary of China attempting to invade them like you wouldn't believe.

They loved us when this mess first started too. It was only some super stupidity that turned it onto the mess it became. What school used to tell about it was not even close while this conflict was going on. Now days I doubt most schools even mention it. That show Burns did on it was VERY well done. He gives the history from the mid 1800's on to explain why it turned out the way it did.

I was listening to a radio program and they were talking about Vietnam and a couple guys that were knee deep in the ish there. The program took them back to Vietnam for the first time since they left the war and they talked about the profound change it made to their lives.
The big difference was the sincere and celebrated welcoming they received upon going back to Vietnam and what a great experience it was. Even though they went there and killed their people, and destroyed their villages, they gave them a loving welcome back.

Then they reflected on the homecoming they recieved coming back to the US after the war.

It changed their thoughts and feelings of the country they once served.

I have mixed feelings about the tourist packages / tourism and US companies setting up shop in Vietnam.

A lot of blood has been spilled over there and many of our service members have not returned or been at peace since serving there.
Seeing what the war has done to both the Americans and the Vietnamese along with some Hmong tribesmen that I knew while growing up still affects my thinking...I know the soldier on my POW / MIA bracelet still does for sure.
Andy

Edit to add:
Just to be clear , the above is how I think and feel...you may think and feel differently... and that is fine.
Luckily we are not limited to what I think and feel...

I have mixed feelings about the tourist packages / tourism and US companies setting up shop in Vietnam.

A lot of blood has been spilled over there and many of our service members have not returned or been at peace since serving there.
Seeing what the war has done to both the Americans and the Vietnamese along with some Hmong tribesmen that I knew while growing up still affects my thinking...I know the soldier on my POW / MIA bracelet still does for sure.
Andy

What was different about this conflict as our citizens currently travel throughout Europe, Korea, Northern Africa, Philippines, Cuba, oh ya, Gettysburg, Texas, Oklahoma, the south, the Native American reservations throughout this country, etc. where our citizens have spilled blood in the service of their country.

Personal note, as a youn' visiting the grandparents home I was fascinated with an oval plaster framed period mother of pearl composite picture of a castle somewhere in Belgium or in Germany. The story line about where it came from and why it is hanging there centers around the picture was something sent by my great uncle Huron and arrived from overseas after my grandparents received the notification of Huron's death while serving overseas in combat. Upon the grand parents death, it was the only item I wish of their property. This framed article has been in places around the world and I have walked the ground where Huron perished.

This activity would not be possible if our citizens did not move on !

WHOA!
Slow down there Hoss...
I said I have mixed feelings....I can see that you do not.
That war in particular has affected my family , men I served in the Army with and friends of mine...
Hence my mixed feelings....
Andy

Andy

I know nothing of war or the experiences there other than what I've read.
But I think there's some real healing that can be done, even for the 50 year old wounds. The PTSD, and the wounds of hatred that never go away. By going back and meeting with the people who you once hatred with the worst anger a person can have, the kind that makes you kill them.
Just like the Japanese and American soldiers who meet after 60 years on the shores of Normandy, or at the Pearl Harbor memorial.

When the two sides can see the people on the other side for the people they are, humans. Who fought for their country and families just like our men and women did.

When they can see the true atrocities of war. That these two men, just like the two countries can be equals, and sometimes even friends when you take the politics and worldly BS out of the equation.

99% of humans want the same thing, safety, freedom, and a good life for their families.

Oh I agree on the meeting of former soldiers of both sides , if they wish...that can be healing.
Just not sure of the idea of buying products made there by a "US" company ...it kinda grates on me.

And yes I have bought German and Japanese products...
I just have a deeper and more personal feeling about Vietnam ...what someone else does , feels , buys , visits , etc ...is fine...Just not so much for me.
Andy

Mixed feelings, of course...

I've learned not to "Hate", but continue to have mixed feelings...

WWII, I lost 1 Uncle on Tarawa and the other on Iwo Jima, last year the Uncle from Tarawa was finally identified and returned for burial in Arlington, he was from Oregon.

I spent nearly 20 months in Vietnam as a Marine, 0331, M-60 machinegun, Grunt...

I ended up in mainland Japan, rather unsure as to how to deal with the culture after having been brought up Post- WWII and the dislike of the people, but as I learned of the people, their culture and lifestyle, I learned, it's not the people per se that get us into wars, but Politicians...

I will not disparrage an entire country for what Generals and Politicians create...

Just my opinion...

And the people who want war to make money.

I seriously doubt if it's the people that want war for money, rather the Corporations and Politicians that want war...

It's always the "People" that are the ones sent to fight those wars...

Never the CEO's nor Politicians...

Read "War is a Racket" by Smedley Butler around 1934 or so, a retired Marine General with 2 Medals of Honor...

I am not talking about ordinary people. Look up who owns Defense contractors, Wall street banks and investment firms. The people that run them need to make money and war is a money maker for them.

Someone I know ordered a pair of Danner Desert combat boots. Supposedly the same boot that gets issued to today's GIs in the sandbox.
When they arrived and I saw the tag that said "Made in Vietnam," I was happy my brother wasn't around any longer, to see that.
I'm pretty sure it would have upset him in ways I can't even fathom.

I'm still hoping McNamara and LBJ are sharing a firepit somewhere though.

I know nothing of war or the experiences there other than what I've read.
But I think there's some real healing that can be done, even for the 50 year old wounds. The PTSD, and the wounds of hatred that never go away. By going back and meeting with the people who you once hatred with the worst anger a person can have, the kind that makes you kill them.
Just like the Japanese and American soldiers who meet after 60 years on the shores of Normandy, or at the Pearl Harbor memorial.

When the two sides can see the people on the other side for the people they are, humans. Who fought for their country and families just like our men and women did.

When they can see the true atrocities of war. That these two men, just like the two countries can be equals, and sometimes even friends when you take the politics and worldly BS out of the equation.

99% of humans want the same thing, safety, freedom, and a good life for their families.

Can not and will not ever go back to the HELL HOLE that took o much from us and gave nothing in return!

We also missed it when Truman insisted in the Marshal plan to rebuild France.

How long after WW2 was "natural" rubber really used - when did the transition to petroleum based rubber for tires etc happen? Other than the rubber plantation what was France getting from their colony?

I ordered some little extra thing on an order once and didn't bother to check the delivery dates. After forgetting about it for a while*, I finally get a small package from Thailand. I had ordered 2, they enclosed 4 and then a day or so later got another 4. o_O

Now I watch the delivery times and try to avoid the long ones.

*CRS (can't remember stuff)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads