JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a question for veterans/civilians. First of all, if your a veteran of any sort I'd like to say thank you for your service. So I heard a while ago that it's very impactful to to tell a Vietnam veteran "Welcome back" over "Thank you for your service". This is because of all the controversy at the time when they returned home. And not being welcomed in their own country. I want to know if people actually do say this to veterans, what their reactions are, and if veterans genuinely appreciate getting told this.

Thanks

Last Edited:
I am a Vietnam veteran. I got out in Dec 1968 and I served 18 months in Vietnam. I couldn't grow my hair

out fast enough when I got out, it was the main identifier. I remain very proud of my Army time that I

gave to my country. I was hassled often, and never one on one. I took a few lumps. Mainly I've learned

to let that rest in my past. It's not good for me to go deep into this. If you'd care to buy me a beer

someday I'd talk more openly.

MANY of them I know are often still bitter about how they were treated. Many of those do appreciate the late praise they get now. The same people who are "woke" now were the ones waving signs, screaming at, spitting at, those Vets. That scum (the woke) never change, only the targets change.

While I am a veteran...I am not a Vietnam veteran.
However.....
Many of the Senior NCO's that I learned how to soldier under as well as just how to be a NCO were....
Without them , their example and lessons...I might not be alive today.

I do know that getting through several tough schools in the Army , along with 4 combat tours is on me , so to speak.
But as noted above...the men who taught me...the men who were the example...who lived it...
Helped shape me as a soldier and a Sergeant.

As far as thanking folks for their service....
It depends.
Serving in the military is very different for everyone...some folks don't want to be reminded of it...or think on it...
Others may appreciate the gesture of a Thank You.
It is important to "know your audience" with this one for sure.
Andy

So if they wear a Vietnam vet hat or shirt or whatever are they more likely to appreciate the "thanks" since they are publically letting it be known?
That's exactly what I'm wondering. Would most vets who wear Vietnam vet attire appreciate the saying Welcome home/ Welcome Back?

Last Edited:
So if they wear a Vietnam vet hat or shirt or whatever are they more likely to appreciate the "thanks" since they are publically letting it be known?
I would say often yes. Many I know do not want to talk about it. Many if asked will but they do not make a point of it. Many are proud to have served though. So I can't see one of them not enjoying hearing others say thank you if they are making it known they served.

It's a 'yes' and 'no' thing. As others have said, if the vet is wearing something indicating their service, I'd say sure, why not. Otherwise, a respectful nod can do the same thing.

As a vet myself, I do not say "welcome back". I occasionally say "thanks for your service". Most commonly I say "go Navy" or "Semper Fi", or "go Army / Air Force". but then again, I have a common experience with them.

I am a Vietnam veteran and I'd never worn anything that suggested I was. I suppose I felt like wearing a hat or something that identified me as a veteran made me feel like I was asking for something. A couple of years ago I visited my son, a former USAF officer in Mooresville NC where he lives. We visited a privately owned military museum representing all branches in Mooresville and spoke to a couple of old veterans there. They had a room with a lot of hats for sale and I bought one as a token of my appreciation for all their hard work. I wore the hat that day, a few people commented and I thanked them. Later we all went wine tasting and the owner wouldn't let me pay for my beer sampler. I still have the hat and don't often wear it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top