JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So today we had our Veteran's Day assembly at the high school I teach at ... I was asked to be a speaker.
Public speaking , especially about such a personal and emotional topic is difficult for me to do.
Talking to folks ,well wishing and well meaning as they were , about a topic that can at times be way out of their realm of experience is doubly difficult.

I kept it pretty simple:
Gave a bit of background about me...
Where I am from...
Why , When and where I served...
What units...
Schools attended ..
Medals and Awards earned...
Just what "Service" means ( at least to me )...
A bit about combat...
How important it is to listen and not just hear what a Veteran has to say...
A lot on remembering that every Veteran has different feelings about Veteran's Day and their time in the Service...Plus if you do thank a Veteran...Please be sincere and not have your "Thank you" , just be something you say on a cold , wet November day.

I think it went well... I still have a teaching job there...:D
The kids did seem attentive and the comments from the other staff were favorable.
All in all it was a good experience and one that I hope was rewarding to those who were there.
Andy

Thank you Andy. For your service to this country and for speaking about it. I hope you motivated many to follow in your footsteps.

My biggest regret in life (I've mentioned this before) is not joining. I was close, but chose a female over enlisting. Big mistake.

If I was closer, I'd be honored to shake your hand Andy. And the hand of ANY Veteran member of NWFA. My sincerest gratitude and respect to you all.

What you did was a great thing Andy. There are so many that really have no clue what it's all about.

Thanks for your service my friend you are one of the great ones!

Thanks Guys ... I do wish you all could have been there as well.
If you have ever read any of my posts here regarding the military , combat / taking a life , the notion of being of service and understanding others then you have the gist of my speech...
Andy

I'm happy to relate that there is very little about my thirty-three years service [full-time - no reserve] that can be talked about.

I went there, did things, and I always came back home, which is more than half of my original intake of twenty-two managed to do.

Not a day goes by that they don't occupy my thoughts in one way or another.

I don't do reunions, I don't attend the Legion stuff, although I support it, and this Sunday I'll be at a local churchyard where four young men of the RCAF lie buried. I care for their graves, and a few others around this part of the world where there are well over a thousand of them in this county alone.

I know that at least two of the other Canadians there attending the little service of Remebrance from the local tri-service unit are former students of mine, and I'll be happy to meet up with them and tell lies.

We only wear a poppy for a short time in each year, but many of us have one permanently pinned to our heart.

article-2230190-15E92A19000005DC-471_964x612.jpg

tac

So today we had our Veteran's Day assembly at the high school I teach at ... I was asked to be a speaker.
Public speaking , especially about such a personal and emotional topic is difficult for me to do.
Talking to folks ,well wishing and well meaning as they were , about a topic that can at times be way out of their realm of experience is doubly difficult.

I kept it pretty simple:
Where I am from...
What units...
Schools attended ..
A bit about combat...
A lot of remembering that every Veteran has different feelings about Veteran's Day and their time in the Service...Plus if you do thank a Veteran...Please be sincere and not have your "Thank you", just be something you say on a cold, wet November day.

The kids did seem attentive and the comments from the other staff were favorable.
All in all it was a good experience and one that I hope was rewarding to those who were there.
Andy

Thanks, Andy. Welcome home, and thank you for speaking for the rest of us.

Those of us that served, remember. Those of us that didn't remember as well. This Saturday is a day of solemn commemoration. Let us stop, bow our heads and be grateful.

Amen.

Last Edited:

I kept it pretty simple:
Where I am from...
What units...
Schools attended ..
A bit about combat...
A lot on remembering that every Veteran has different feelings about Veteran's Day and their time in the Service...Plus if you do thank a Veteran...Please be sincere and not have your "Thank you" , just be something you say on a cold , wet November day.

Andy

Thanks for sharing that. It's awesome you got a chance to share that with the kids Andy - everyone needs to be taught how important our military and our veterans are to this country. Still looking forward to the day we can meet in person.

My biggest regret in life (I've mentioned this before) is not joining. I was close, but chose a female over enlisting. Big mistake.

If I was closer, I'd be honored to shake your hand Andy. And the hand of ANY Veteran member of NWFA. My sincerest gratitude and respect to you all.

I feel the same way. I had considered the military, but got deep into work and school and didn't go in. I feel like I missed out on an important experience. Heck, I could have found myself polishing @Stomper's boots!

Thanks Andy if those kids only knew what you have done and other's have done for all of us MUCH RESPECT MY FRIEND AND MUCH RESPECT TO ALL YOU VETERANS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top