JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get that working on it right now is looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Problem is, my OCD wont let go of it. It kills me to think I could blame a miss (On a steel plate. Not some once in a lifetime big game deal) on ammo that is less than perfect. If I do miss, I want it to be with my best foot forward. The only excuse that's acceptable is "It's my fault".

Fumbling around with perfectly acceptable ammo has been a hobby of mine for 30 years.

Sounds like you would have been the perfect guy to drag along to shoot steel with me the other day. Only 400 yards, but the 2" plate would have put you to the test.. I would have thrown down some money.....;)
u9oetIL.jpg

I'm not generally a betting man either, and also, none of my rifles are "1/4 MOA" rifles.. You might have had a chance to make some money....:rolleyes:

I have a 5"& 8" plate that I use at 300-500 yards. when folks get too confident on the 12"ers. Usually humbles em. Getting to the point that I don't like 12" plates at closer ranges, as they cover up sloppy technique. Starting to think 500 yards minimum for 12"ers. Maybe more.

Dunno if I could hit your 2"er at 400 today (Unless I was allowed sighters. In which case I could hit it pretty regular so long as wind played nice. I figure sighters are cheating. So, first shot.....with me running the piece. You'd likely have my money damn fast). Problem is, I shot enough off a bench to know how well ammo grouped at 200 yards. I figured it would not be the weak link (In my case, the shooter is almost ALWAYS the cause for the miss). But I never got around to doing proper proper homework.

It has shot quite well on plates at range (With occasional unexplained vertical flier) to make me think the piece has the accuracy necessary to make hits at far beyond my skill set.

Long range foray has been educational. Things I have always ignored at close range now bite me if I don't take every variable into account. A kestrel is in my future. So is a 3 ring binder (Yes a 3 ring binder. I'm old enough that I carry a pen in my pocket. I write stuff down on paper. When China blasts us with EMP, my pen will still work, unlike battery operated gadgets the world seems to revolve around today) with all the corrections on laminated paper. Then I can actually make an educated correction, instead of WAG Kentucky windage coonskin capism.

Will work more on it next year. If I get my poop in a group enough to need longer range equipment than the 223 (Like a 6.5), we will take the next step. Likely a Bergara. Although a Tikka (As much as some folks cringe when I say it) will be on the list too.

In the mean time, the ES thing needs to get fixed. Which is fun too.

Cut flash holes.
Deburred flash holes as well (They were done at Nosler. But I did em again just in case)
Primer pockets are uniform
Brass is round. Runout of necks is .001-.0015" or less.
Weighed each powder charge.
Check weights on scale
Seeing how every other category is top shelf (Lapua quality & uniformity) regarding case quality, I have little reason to question it them.
Bullet runout is ~ .002" or less.

Lot numbers on primers, powder brass and bullets are all same.

Shell holder goes with dies.

Neck sized cases only. I have not measured how much force it takes to pull a bullet out of case.

Big picture on asking too much- I may be. But I like the fact that drift and trajectory are almost exactly the same as out primary hunting rifles (270 & 7x57). Educational for sure. Without beating the hell out of the shooter trying to figure wind drift with a 270 at xyz yards. No flinch.

For clarity- I have no intention to hunt big game much past 400 yards. If I can hit at twice that range on command, then the 200-400 yard shots become easier. The critters deserve that much from me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top