JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have started sealing stuff in vacuum packaging.

The original packaging gets deformed.

Will this harm my cartridges?

Any tips on how to keep things neat looking?

I would appreciate any other tips on how to do this the best way, etc.

20211007_143844.jpg

You must have a big vacuum packer!
Some vacuum packing systems have a spigot on them to use with an attachment for vacuum packing jars. If there was a one way valve on a ammo can that one could attach to, then one could vacuum pack an ammo can.

I imagine that if a person put an oxygen absorber or three in an ammo can, the desired effect would be equivalent.

Vacuum packing is cheaper than oxygen absorbers and wraps the ammo/etc. in a protective plastic envelope in case the ammo can is compromised.

Last Edited:
I'm pretty sure the ammunition is fine even if the box gets deformed. I'd say keep going. Don't worry.

But, long term, ammo cans provide armor against abrasion and shelf wear but nothing for oxidation. Unless the ammo can (or individual bag) is pumped full of inert gas, vacuum packing is about it. Primers are the one exposed, unsealed reloading component.
Honestly not much of a concern. For me.

Ammo cans (40mm), and a few dessicant packets.

They'll oxidize, however not anywhere near enough for ME to be concerned about. Same as long term stored ammunition in cans. No problem.

Vacuum sealing doesn't remove anywhere near all of the oxygen either. Perfectly fine for freezer/fridge storage, or moderately extending some pantry foods. Definitely has a place for folks whom eat what they store. NOT LONG TERM, however.

To remove all/most, oxygen absorber packets are required (or the industrial inert gas method - as in foods). Neither of which are worthwhile for primers.

...and O2 removal/displacement requires a NON-permeable container. Vacuum plastic bags are permeable...

IMO. - for whatever that's worth...

I appreciate all the input.

I do store my components in ammo cans, I also date components when I purchase them. Some components/ammo date back to sandy hook days.
I am now vacuum sealing components & ammo before storing in ammo cans.

A few weeks ago, while target shooting my 308, I ran into two bad primers, for the first time that I can remember, with my reloads. This was disturbing!
I don't know if it was because the CCI LRMP primers were purchased in 2017, or if it was the small amount of rain my batch of reloads were exposed to the previous week. I usually reload in small batches of 100 rounds for quality control as well as shooting objectives.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top