JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could do it, but the end result would be very heavy.
It would also cut out light to the shelf area.

*Table Trivia
Supposedly it was a table built like this that saved Hitler's life on 7/20/44.
A table "leg panel" shielded him from the blast.
Not heavier than the 4x4 legs plus under framing others have suggested here.
Something simple/easy/quick to build, no framing, just simple cleats in the corners/junctions.
just another design to consider...
:D

Pleasing to the eye, but I think I'd still vote for straight legs for a utility table.

Straight legs
+
Easier to build
Easier to add lower shelving
More space for shelving

-
Basic in appearance

Splayed legs
+ Pleasing to the eye

-
Harder to build requiring compound angles
Diminished space for shelving
*Tripping hazard

*When maneuvering around a table, you subconsciously estimate where the leg is as you look at the corner.
A splayed leg doesn't fit the equation. Ever trip on a sawhorse leg ?

A good sawhorse leg compound angle is 2/12 (9.5°) x 18°
Might be a starting point ?
It would be a great time to buy that compound mitre saw...if I didn't already have one;P. I amlost never build nice stuff for me. If it doesn't work there's always the sawzall and a woodstove.

You can pick up laminate (e.g., Formica) and a bit of rubber cement for a really nice work surface. I picked up several pieces at a local Habitat ReStore, for three bucks each, and my several rolling carts are covered [or getting covered].

Any router will allow you to flush trim the laminate, after it's secured to the table top. Just get a cheap flush bit with the bearing on the bottom and move (counter clockwise) around it. You can then, lightly sand the sharp edges.

Mine started out looking good, but are showing more use than most kitchen counters would show after a month of renters.

When routing laminates spray plenty of WD-40 on the bearing and knives. It helps prevent the glue or contact cement from building up and fouling things. Also soak the bits in lacquer thinner and clean when you are done. Also if going against an edge already with laminate on it like the edge of a counter top, if you put petroleum jelly on it it makes things easier.

I guess I don't look at a work bench as a piece of furniture.o_O
I can appreciate some of the craftsmanship shown here, but it would
be a real crime if I did any where near to some of these shown what I've done to mine.:rolleyes:

My bench has been drilled, cut, acid and paint spills and burned by hot lead, you name it. :eek:

But...The best thing about using a 3" solid core door is, after I've beat the crap out of it,
I can turn it over and start on the other side.:D:p

So have all my benches, they look like worms bored a bunch of holes in mine plus paint over spray ( I have butcher paper to cover it when I paint or varnish... I use what I build...

Oh and to all of you who weld steel, I weld WOOD!!!

Put a few small ones together... I think I can park my car on them though... 32 (9).jpg 33 (9).jpg

Too damn clean and orderly. Every time I see a pic like this I want to head out and start cleaning my shop up. Fortunately almost every time I think of this I soon find something else I need to do first :)
Very nice looking job you did there!

In all fairness, I was rebuilding a bubblegum space so it was empty at the time.. I am still working on shop nirvana...

Got it in the house and it's up and running finally. I made 150 rounds of .40 cal. So much stuff to move in from the shop:eek:. Luckily I have a large closet with adjustable shelves for extra storage. I already knocked over a half hopper of powder so it's christenedo_O.

20180516_054444.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR