JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm actually thinking of ripping the door in half and making a bench top out of one half and a lower shelf for storage between the legs out of the other. If I wrap the upper half with 3/4 inch white oak edging that would give a ~21"-22" deep benchtop which is plenty deep and 80+" wide. I'm a big fan of mounting the bench to the wall. My present bench is 4x12x8 cvg fir and it was stout before wall mounting, but when I fastened it to the wall I was amazed how much less deflection there was.

This is kind of stupid on my part since I already have a good bench, but I got a wild hair to make a new one:p.

Edit: spelling and measurements
Yes, a deep bench becomes a crap magnet, collecting all kinds of stuff that needs to be moved when you want to load.
Well. for me anyways, and the reason I went vertical and built a loading cabinet, with a bi-fold door to keep out curious little hands.
OpenCab (2).JPG
I stand to load,
:D

If anyone needs solid doors to build a work bench I have a container full of them. PM me for an address in Vancouver you show up its yours for free.

Cleaning house usually I sell these doors for $20 to you good folks they are free!

I used a solid core for my bench and found it was way too wide to be wall mounted. I'm 5'5" and I couldn't reach peg board mounted items on the wall behind the bench, so I ended up ripping it down to 24" wide. :eek:

I didn't use legs. The door is heavy enough that it just sits on top of two (lockable) steel utility cabinets, with an "L" bracket at each end to keep it against the wall. :)

I used a solid core for my bench and found it was way too wide to be wall mounted. I'm 5'5" and I couldn't reach peg board mounted items on the wall behind the bench, so I ended up ripping it down to 24" wide. :eek:

I didn't use legs. The door is heavy enough that it just sits on top of two (lockable) steel utility cabinets, with an "L" bracket at each end to keep it against the wall. :)
When I built a desk out of a door that's what I did too.
Only I used a couple of short two-drawer filing cabinets and through-bolted them to the underside of the door. They have a large footprint so they provide stability laterally, they provide metal, non-flammable storage, they usually lock, and they're cheap and easy.
And if you need to adjust the finished height you can just use 1xs or 2xs between the top of the cabinet and the door.

Grab a couple of these and 4 lag bolts from Ace hdw and be done with it:
<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
I have two benches in my garage with doors for tops. They are free in the circles I run, so I just ran them through the table saw to cut off the hinge pockets, routed the exposed edges and mounted them up. One frame was from a lab table off a job site, and the second was built from uni-strut parts off another job site. Solid as they get...

Retired for whatever reason shelved gun safes or key lock security cabinets also make great secure storage for all the junk, (er ... priceless goodies!) that all gravitate to the work bench. Remember ... an absolutely clear, clean and dust free work bench is a sure sign of a very sick mind! :)

The man cave door also has a key only door knob. Keeps the grandkids out. Also a dedicated smaller type disk player. And a large fan. And that aforementioned, (?) big deep over stuffed upright chair for frequent breaks sosss the noggin' can be employed thinking up diabolical plans. :)

I've built benches out of solid core doors several times! They work very well.
I have a few different benches in the shop, but this is my main one. It's a Swedish woodworking bench top mounted on a big, heavy duty, Craftsman steel cabinet. The bottom drawers are full of bulk ammo, you could hit it with a Buick! It won't wiggle! :)

IMG_0289.JPG

My first loading bench back in the 1950's -60's was made from a solid core door. My father in law was foreman at a door manufacturer and picked up a reject for me. If yours is like mine was you don't need a frame around it. Those doors are really strong.

Well as few days late but here are the bench pics, table measures 46.6"x7'.
Excuse the the clutter as many projects are going on......:eek::eek::eek::D

View attachment 368233 View attachment 368234 View attachment 368235
Thanks for the pics it helps with visualizing:). I have a stack of reclaimed 2x4 & 2x6 that will make the frame. Probably will go with the California legs and a supply shelf underneath. I hate to move my pegboard over my bench but I got these new overhead cabinents I want to install for powder storage. I like the bench I have now but it's a bit deep. Like mentioned above it's a clutter magnent and it's somewhat difficult to reach over for tools on the wall for a short guy. I'm thinking 18"-20" is plenty deep. Maybe even a bit less.

I've built benches out of solid core doors several times! They work very well.
I have a few different benches in the shop, but this is my main one. It's a Swedish woodworking bench top mounted on a big, heavy duty, Craftsman steel cabinet. The bottom drawers are full of bulk ammo, you could hit it with a Buick! It won't wiggle! :)

View attachment 368200

Nice!!!

Well as few days late but here are the bench pics, table measures 46.6"x7'.
Excuse the the clutter as many projects are going on......:eek::eek::eek::D

I like that you're able to walk around it, more like a large, solid table.:cool:
Having to be against a wall sure has it's draw backs. :(
Now if I could just talk my Son-in-Law into taking the Utility Trailer.......:rolleyes::D

In the small man cave and in the new and improved man cave.

Mounted to an old cabinet & drawers with some small pieces of angle iron, bolted from the bottom. The door came out of a hospital and I cut it down and rounded the corners. Someplace I still have the nice piece to cover the cut edge. One day I will find it and get a round to it---gluing it back on. Stout, functional, smooth, and pretty---what more can you ask for.

2010012.jpg

Bench32-25-14.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top