JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To each his own, but I bought my last used vehicle decades ago.

Used is a gamble I'm not willing to take and of course can afford not to...

Also, when you buy a new vehicle get an extended warranty from a different dealership.

Why?

You'll save a ton of money on the cost of the warranty and it'll be credible.

Example: I bought a Tundra pickup here in Texas, but the extended warranty I bought from a Toyota dealership in Illinois.

Have I ever had to use it thus proving it's a reputable warranty?

Yes, honored twice at the dealership where I bought my Tundra from with zero deductible.

Oh yeah, every time I buy a vehicle I keep it for a long time and eventually the extended warranty pays for itself like the time my AC went out in year 5, that cost alone exceeded the cost of the extended warranty.

Last Edited:
An ad I saw many years ago on craigslist...

craigslist ad for 1995 Pontiac Grand Am.GIF

How do you get "fleet pricing" on a used vehicle? :s0153:

As an employee of my company, which buys lots of new vehicles from the local Ford dealer, I get "fleet pricing" on new Ford vehicles. In other words, I can buy a brand new Ford vehicle at a much reduced price.

Really no such thing as fleet pricing for used vehicles.

Sorry, I must have used the wrong term. Dealer pricing? Dealer to dealer purchase.

I only shop for private party vehicles.

Mostly for the lower prices due to income.

It has some disadvantages like having to schedule and then be at multiple peoples houses until you find the one you want.

Also dealing with CL or wherever your looking for used vehicles.

You also have to have an idea as to how to fix broken stuff or at the minimum know how much it's going to cost you.

The last vehicle I bought was a 2008 explorer with 95k miles for my wife. I got it for the same price as was the average for a 1999-2000 with 175-200k miles.

Yea, some are too good to be true but great deals are out there if you don't have the money and are willing to put in the time.

I have nothing against new cars. If they're what you like and you can afford them, they're great. A friend was just showing me his new truck. It's really nice, but his payment is just slightly less than my mortgage.

For me, it's just not going to happen. I might as well talk about buying a Lear Jet. With a single blue-collar income, a house full of kids to raise (including two in braces), future college to help with, and retirement savings woefully inadequate for my age, cheap wheels are a must.

I've found that most of us have very different priorities. For some, a nice vehicle defines who they are. For others, as long as it gets you from point A to point B reliably, it doesn't matter. At this stage in life I'm in the latter category. A used car with only 80k miles? Yeah that's a low mileage car that's probably out of our price range. :)

One of the major things that worries me about buying a car is everything I hear from others about various breakdowns and defects. We've been lucky with our three vehicles and their combined 3/4 million miles. I spend very little on maintenance and have never had a major breakdown. The occasional starter replacement here or power steering pump there- easily replaced myself for well under $100. I keep telling my wife that we're due for major problems one of these days, but these old vehicles are Energizer bunnies, they just keep going.

For pickups, I buy new. Or really, really old.

For cars, buying a 2-3 year old lease return is about the smartest purchase you can make with significant savings. A three year old car has taken the majority of it's depreciation while still having low miles and being dependable.

Pickup prices are insane around here due to the high demand.

When I bought my new 2014 Ram 1500 4dr 4x4 pickup, used ones 2-3 years old with 50k miles were $25k to $28k. I paid $29k for a brand new one.

When buying a Toyota SUV or pickup, might as well buy new since the resale value is insane as well.

I bought a brand new Toyota 4x4 pickup in 1992 for $12,800. I drove it for a year and realized I wanted an extra cab pickup. Traded it in on a Ford Ranger and got $12k in trade.

I buy my original owner low mile dealer serviced vehicles from estate sales.
A lot of Craigslist car sellers are a bunch of liars and the only reason a vehicle in an estate sale is up for sale is that the owners have died and they couldn't take it with them.

When I had to replace my Ram last year due to my dog no longer being able to get into it, and needing more room for my grandsons, I initially wanted a Toyota Sequoia and wanted to spend $10k or less for used.

Every single Toyota Sequoia, 4Runner, or Land Cruiser for under $10k had over 200k miles.

I found an incredibly nice 2005 GMC Yukon with 81k miles for $10k. Bought it, added a mild lift and roof rack, and it has been trouble-free now with 98k miles on it.

RnP1M7VBTjqDVXnL7WK8Bg.jpg

I'm with CLT65.

If I made $300K a year, I'd probably save up $50K just go buy something new...lots of advantages and that new car smell...maybe on my bucket list if I ever get to retire.

But currently, that's not me, so quality used it the goal. I don't have to buy some beater $1900 car, but $600+ monthly car payments for the next 5+ years? No thanks.

And also, the brand I'm looking at is insanely popular in my neck of the woods...I'm have to go at least 50+ miles to get at least some reasonable prospects. I've gone as far south as Portland and even actually considered one in Sacramento (cheap airline ticket well offset by cost savings, just the drive back...time could be spent elsewhere).

I've directed a mobile car inspection service to visit the lot and look at my #1 choice tomorrow.

Time will tell.

Boss

I've found the same thing about Toyota trucks. I bought mine second-hand 18 years ago. It's been a great truck, solid and trouble free. Several times in the last few years I've had strangers come knock on my door to ask if I want to sell my truck. I politely say no, but I want to ask "Do you see a For Sale sign?!"

Nope, I'm going to drive my old Tacoma into the ground. It's been an awesome little truck and I don't plan on parting with it until it's plum worn out. I'm sold on Toyotas.

Used Car/Truck Checklist
Year___ Model ______ Color______ Miles _______ Eng Size ____ Trans ___ AC ___ Asking Price ______
Seller ______________ Contact ( ) - Address _________________________

Brakes/Tires/Alignment/Suspension:
Tires - Uneven wear
Parking Brake
Brake Noise
Pulling
Vibration/Pulsing during braking and just cruising
Suspension Noises

Engine/Trans:
Check engine light (Does it work? Is it on?)
Battery Terminals
Smoke/Odor
Look under for leaks
Oil condition
Coolant condition
Engine Sounds
Cold Start

Exterior:
Windshield
Dents/Scratches
Doors, hood, trunk open/close properly
Headlights, markers, signals, emergency flashers, lenses
Rust

Interior/Instruments:
Dashboard lights/gauges (Check Engine Light)
Windows up/down
Door locks (inside/out)
Wipers/washer
AC, heat
Stereo
Alarm
Odors
Upholstery

Various:
Clear title - And Available?
Extra keys/remote
Sunroof function - leak
Water damage
Service Records
Visible Repairs
Spare condition/inflation
Jack

Another thing to consider is if it was used to tow things, and what, which can age a vehicle in dog years.

Yep, and if its an aftermarket tow hitch, and you have an extended service contract (which I normally get), that could be an issue. And if the vehicle has no rated towing capacity...:(.

And yes, extended service contracts...they have loopholes...you need to be familiar. While some say put $100 in an envelope for repairs (yeah, no problem:rolleyes:), IMHO you don't buy the ESC for 'little stuff'...you buy it for somethin like when in 8 months the transmission goes out and you're looking at a $3K+ repair bill and that $600 you have in the envelope ain't gonna cover it.

All things to know.

Having a big wad of cash and going and selecting that brand new 'Vette is probably more fun.

Boss

Well, I've got a pre-purchase inspection supposed to be done in about an hour...too far away to for me to get to with work, so will check in with him around lunch time.

One of the ~3 or so contenders appears to have been moved to another dealer and the price bumped up over $3K!:eek: WTH?:eek: And they wonder why used car sales people don't have the most sterling reputation.:rolleyes:

We'll see how this all plays out...

Oh, and just to make it more fun, looks like the electronic control board for the dryer went out last night...only $216 to replace.:eek: Perfect timing!:rolleyes: I guess I can't complain too much, never another problem in the last ~14 years.

BOSS

Well, I've got a pre-purchase inspection supposed to be done in about an hour...too far away to for me to get to with work, so will check in with him around lunch time.

One of the ~3 or so contenders appears to have been moved to another dealer and the price bumped up over $3K!:eek: WTH?:eek: And they wonder why used car sales people don't have the most sterling reputation.:rolleyes:

We'll see how this all plays out...

Oh, and just to make it more fun, looks like the electronic control board for the dryer went out last night...only $216 to replace.:eek: Perfect timing!:rolleyes: I guess I can't complain too much, never another problem in the last ~14 years.

BOSS

Even garage door openers have electronic boards in them these days, I guess doing things the old fashioned way didn't allow for planned obsolescence :eek:

Even garage door openers have electronic boards in them these days, I guess doing things the old fashioned way didn't allow for planned obsolescence :eek:

Yup, and while some aren't too expensive, seems this one is. At least per amazon, I'll have it by tomorrow. Washer/dryer down in a two-income (no time) multi-kiddo family household is equivalent to Defcon3.:eek:

And since I know I'm probably one of the few that doesn't participate in the annual 'clean-behind-your-washer dryer day,' that got taken care of too.:)

Also part of the reason why the No.1 vehicle I'm looking at is also the oldest/simplest...least amount of electronics/gizmo's to fry. K.I.S.S.

Boss

Yup, and while some aren't too expensive, seems this one is. At least per amazon, I'll have it by tomorrow. Washer/dryer down in a two-income (no time) multi-kiddo family household is equivalent to Defcon3.:eek:

And since I know I'm probably one of the few that doesn't participate in the annual 'clean-behind-your-washer dryer day,' that got taken care of too.:)

Also part of the reason why the No.1 vehicle I'm looking at is also the oldest/simplest...least amount of electronics/gizmo's to fry. K.I.S.S.

Boss

At least you are fixing it yourself & saving the big $$$
My landlord from 30 years ago once sent the appliance repair guy out to fix the refrigerator--I watched him & noticed how easy it was & fixed plenty of appliances myself since then. If you contact the parts supply places they'll even help diagnose the problem

I'm a new car snob.

I don't like inheriting the problems of something used.

I'm also an internet sales type.

I get all the local dealers going back and forth via email to give me their prices. I then use their own BS to my advantage.

Especially places like Wilsonville Subaru who claim they are a no BS dealership. Which is Bull. Unlike their saying, "No Bull". They were 2k over some of the others and would not budge on price lol. They said they don't know how the other dealers can sell the car for the prices they do.

Another question I always ask is inventory quantities and sales reports. IE how many cars they sell daily, weekly. The ones selling the most have the lowest margins, IE they sell bulk to make profits. If the lots only sold 5 of the model you want in the last week, your not getting the lowest price. If they have sold 50-100. Much better start.

Let the "internet" sales people battle it out a few rounds via email and you'll find who's telling you less BS than the others.

Reddit is a good source of information too. Lots of car salesmen there spilling beans on what the dealers pay vs the person dumb enough to pay their "absolute no bull lowest price".

Best of luck on your hunt.

It's a female dog for a reason these days. The internet has really F'd up their way of living so they are 10x more hungry for ripping people off then they used to be.

I'm a new car snob.

I don't like inheriting the problems of something used.

I'm also an internet sales type.

I get all the local dealers going back and forth via email to give me their prices. I then use their own BS to my advantage.

Especially places like Wilsonville Subaru who claim they are a no BS dealership. Which is Bull. Unlike their saying, "No Bull". They were 2k over some of the others and would not budge on price lol. They said they don't know how the other dealers can sell the car for the prices they do.

Another question I always ask is inventory quantities and sales reports. IE how many cars they sell daily, weekly. The ones selling the most have the lowest margins, IE they sell bulk to make profits. If the lots only sold 5 of the model you want in the last week, your not getting the lowest price. If they have sold 50-100. Much better start.

Let the "internet" sales people battle it out a few rounds via email and you'll find who's telling you less BS than the others.

Reddit is a good source of information too. Lots of car salesmen there spilling beans on what the dealers pay vs the person dumb enough to pay their "absolute no bull lowest price".

Best of luck on your hunt.

It's a female dog for a reason these days. The internet has really F'd up their way of living so they are 10x more hungry for ripping people off then they used to be.
Yeabut a Subaru actually has a snowflake as the emblem.

Lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads