JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I first turned 18 I went out and purchased an AR-15 to exercise my 2A rights.

I wasn't a man flush with cash at the time, not that I am now either hehe, and went ahead and purchased a DPMS sportical. All in all, once equipped with sights, the rifle functions great (having dumped a few hundred magazines through it in 5 years or so) and have never had any serious issues with it. I have upgraded my rifle with a free-float Midwest rail system, all of the factory furniture has been replaced with Magpul upgrades, and some Yankee Hill bits here and there. However, as time goes on, and I become more interested in training to use my system, I have begun to realize the limitations of the basic sportical system...
I was displeased with the prospect of having to procure a new upper half for a dust cover, shell deflector, and forward assist (costing in some cases 900+ dollars for one equipped with a rail system) until I realized, rather recently, that I could replace the upper receiver myself with a stripped aftermarket one.

The one I have chosen as a potential candidate is the Vltor MUR-1a. I would appreciate any thoughts on this upper or other suggestions for uppers with M4 feed ramps. (maybe a place where I can find one :s0114:)

Also, as I do not have a torque wrench, barrel nut wrench, vice, or the prerequisite skills I will need to go to a gunsmith to have this done. (any recommendations in the Lane County area/ a price guesstimate for the smith to preform the switch?)

The last questions I have are regarding the barrel of the Sportical. I know it (the sportical barrel) has M4 feed ramps but is there any other variable I need to be aware of when selecting my new stripped upper? Also is it possible to replace the gas block, the one I have is really chunky and wiggles around a little ( likely normal, but it makes me worry I may loose gas sometime when I really need it...)

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads