JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've owned 3 Stratford era Charter Arms a few years ago (two 3" Bulldog 44spl and one 2" Undercover 38spl). Well made utility guns. I sold them off individually for a profit.

I had 3 new Charter Arms I had built at the factory and one had to go back several times for repair, then replacement. Another gun went back twice and that caused me to sell off the 3 guns (made in 2020 and 2021).

I like the company though, and found another older gun recently on Gun Broker. A 3" five shot Undercover .38spl with target grips. Very nice shape and a good price. My wife liked the balance and weight of the previous guns so I pulled the trigger on this one. It should arrive on Monday at the FFL.

Anyone else have one?

043D10BE-D14E-4BDC-8E56-25D183DA45C9.jpeg

Sadly, I sold off both "Son of Sam" era .44 Bulldogs that I had. They treated me very well with the one that had to go back - early production with the constructed/over-torqued barrel. The Doug McClanahan days were good times. They are struggling now, and it is surprising that they have weathered the semi-auto onslaught.

Have owned the 3" 44 and a 2' Undercover, good servicable weapons. Traded them for better actions and fit on revolvers. 3" 38 should run you quite well, they point better and get a little velocity gain from a 2". IWB is the way to go for holsters and conceal carry.

I've put some 148gr wadcutter handloads through the Undercover, and POA and POI are nearly the same at 15 yards.

I then tried a few +P Federal Punch 120gr and Winchester white box 125gr SJHP +P and they both shot about 4-5" low and a few inches left at 15 yards.

So, for now, the wadcutters are the round of choice and currently reside in the cylinder until I can test some 158gr SWC loads.

The gun functions and shot well. The +P would be too much for my wife, but the WC would work.

Wadcutters have a place in small 38s, a good place. I use a 148DEWC over 4.1 grains of 231 in my snubbys. May be a little stout for your wife, Good small game load. I don't recommend this load to anyone else. It works in my snubby don't know about yours.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top