JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just submit my form 1 for my SLR106CR about a week ago. Two questions about the process.
1. Since I filed as an individual can I get the receiver engraved my receiver ahead of time since individuals are only required to engrave their full name (as appears on the form) and location of the make?
2. Can I officially add a stock to it as soon as it approved or do I have to wait for the physical tax stamp to be in hand?

I just submit my form 1 for my SLR106CR about a week ago. Two questions about the process.
1. Since I filed as an individual can I get the receiver engraved my receiver ahead of time since individuals are only required to engrave their full name (as appears on the form) and location of the make?
You can engrave whatever you want, whenever you want. It doesn't become anything official until your tax stamp is in hand. I would personally wait until I know I'm approved though.

2. Can I officially add a stock to it as soon as it approved or do I have to wait for the physical tax stamp to be in hand?
Best to wait until your stamp is in hand.

Just had two SBR's go through the Form 1 process. Not supposed to construct guns until you have the stamps in hand. They have been really fussy about all forms filled out properly.

They don't actually mail you a stamp. It's in electronic form on the emailed approval they send you.

You can engrave anytime you want, but as others have said, I would wait for approval first.

As soon as you get the email from ATF saying it's approved you are GTG.

They don't actually mail you a stamp. It's in electronic form on the emailed approval they send you.
Correct

I just did a eForm 1 through Capitol Armory. 47 days later I get an envelope from the ATF. In it was an actual stamped form. eForm 4s get emailed to you

1- You can get it engraved while you wait, but what if you get denied? Just wait. I got mine engraved locally for $40 and it took 20-30 minutes while I waited. Heck, who can't find something to look at in a gun store?!

2- No, do not build it before the stamp. Usually a quick turnaround time on form 1s. Best not to poke the bear. Once it arrives you can do anything you want with it.

I just did a eForm 1 through Capitol Armory. 47 days later I get an envelope from the ATF. In it was an actual stamped form. eForm 4s get emailed to you

1- You can get it engraved while you wait, but what if you get denied? Just wait. I got mine engraved locally for $40 and it took 20-30 minutes while I waited. Heck, who can't find something to look at in a gun store?!

2- No, do not build it before the stamp. Usually a quick turnaround time on form 1s. Best not to poke the bear.
Was not aware of that. Thanks for the clarification.

I have 3 SBR approvals from the brace ban. I never received any paperwork or tax stamp. Just the authorization for the SBR that I can print out from the website.

I mounted a stock the day I received the notification email. No one has asked me to show them my paperwork yet. In 35 years of shooting I have never even seen an ATF agent... that I know of. I certainly have never been confronted by one. I have had a couple of cops stop by and say hello in a friendly manner. They have never asked to inspect anything.

Did you file electronically or paper?

Last Edited:
I have 3 SBR approvals from the brace ban. I never received any paperwork or tax stamp. Just the authorization for the SBR that I can print out from the website.

I mounted a stock the day I received the notification email. No one has asked me to show them my paperwork yet. In 35 years of shooting I have never even seen an ATF agent... that I know of. I certainly have never been confronted by one. I have had a couple of cops stop by and say hello in a friendly manner. They have never asked to inspect anything.

Did you file electronically or paper?
By "authorization from the website" do you mean an approved Form 1? That is what you need.

No one has asked me to show them my paperwork yet. In 35 years of shooting I have never even seen an ATF agent... that I know of. I certainly have never been confronted by one. I have had a couple of cops stop by and say hello in a friendly manner. They have never asked to inspect anything.
They have much bigger fish to fry than us. There are people out there attempting to sell automatic weapons abroad. There are people building missiles and bombs. Those are the things that worry the ATF. This I heard directly from an ATF agent.

All that being said, if you have any scorned exes or disgruntled former employees - beware. This is how the IRS gets most of their tips. I assume most federal agencies (like ATF) are also tipped off in a similar way.

Best thing of course, is just to play by the rules and not worry about it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews