1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Two deputies shot in Spokane

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by slimer13, Jun 19, 2012.

  1. slimer13

    slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
  2. sheepdip

    sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    why do guys like that have to drag innocent people into their crap?:(
  3. Grunwald

    Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    At least he had the decency to spare the taxpayers supporting him for the rest of his life.
  4. netcarrier

    netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

    Likes Received:
    Hi All This is some infor. on this;

    NORTH SPOKANE-- A man fatally shot him self after police say he fired at two Spokane County deputies during a traffic stop.

    Narcotics detectives asked the deputies to pull over an SUV around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday near Elm Street and Newport Highway.

    As soon as the SUV stopped the suspect, Charles Wallace, stitting in the front passenger seat, jumped out and began firing upon deputies. Even though both deputies sustained gunshot wounds, they were able to return fire. Wallace fled the scene.

    The driver of the SUV sped away from the scene with a female and child in the back seat. The vehicle was located at Division and Graves, unoccupied. Wallace fled on foot towards 9800 N. Andrews.

    The wounded deputies were identified as Matt Spink and Michael Northway.

    Two bystanders rushed over and found the victims on the ground. The Good Samaritans compressed the wounds as they waited for emergency crews. Deputy Northway suffered two shots to the arms and two to the leg, and Deputy Spink had one wound in his leg. Both witnesses describe the deputies as coherent as paramedics arrived on scene. By Wednesday morning, both deputies were listed in stable condition.

    Responding officers found the SUV unoccupied nearby at Division and Graves Streets. They used K9 unit to track the area, but no one was located.

    A few blocks away near 9800 North Andrews, an elderly woman called police to report her Honda Accord had just been stolen. Police say Wallace forced his way into her home and demanded her car keys. The 85-year-old woman chased the suspect out of the house, hitting him with her cane. Wallace, who was armed with a gun, reportedly stole the vehicle and fled again.

    Officials located the suspect on Highway 2 and Big Meadows Road, where a pursuit began. Police deployed Air One to keep tabs on Wallace, as authorities chased him.

    As law enforcement flooded the area searching for the Honda Accord, witnesses were calling in possible sightings. An SPD Detective observed Wallace driving the Honda on Big Meadows Road. When Wallace approached the detective, he fired at the officer but missed. Wallace continued to exhibit extremely dangerous behavior, having no regard for the safety of citizens and law enforcement alike. He appeared to be very determined to avoid apprehension, while being aware that he was a wanted felon. Wallace’s actions dictated law enforcement response for the safety of the community.

    As officers continued to pursue Wallace, Air One provided updated locations and information. Citizens yielded to the numerous law enforcement officers actively attempting to stop Wallace, which was critical to officer response. When Wallace entered Deer Park, a SCSO Detective fired at the suspect in an effort to stop the suspect’s threat to the community. Spike strips were deployed by nearby officers, in order to disable Wallace’s vehicle. Wallace continued driving the car with malfunctioning tires. Ultimately, Wallace’s car struck a guard rail where he committed suicide by a single gunshot wound to the head.

    Police maintained several active scenes throughout the evening as they continued to search for more suspects. They have not confirmed there are more suspects involved other than Wallace.

    They believed a suspect could have been hiding in a home in the 900 block of East Princeton. Three people were briefly held after police evacuated them from the house. One of the men detained told KREM 2 police asked them to leave the home for their safety. They were handcuffed for a short time, and then released out of the crime scene. They are not considered suspects.

    Four people were handcuffed later Thursday evening near Alcan and Price. Police questioned the four individuals, but they have not confirmed these four people are related to the shooting.

    The Spokane Investigative Regional Response Team was activated to perform the investigation. Members of the police department, the Washington State patrol and the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office are a part of the team. Spokane Police Officer Jennifer DeRuwe said every available officer is involved. Investigators will give more information as the investigation continues. DeRuwe went on to say, "When you fire at law enforcement, it shows you really have no regard for anyone around you."

    In a press conference Wednesday Sheriff Knezovich questioned why Wallace was allowed back on the streets with such a lengthy criminal history. He asked, "Why was this individual allowed on the streets and not in a jail where he should have been". Knezovich also said the U.S. Attorney's Office fought against the release of Wallace from jail.

    Police describe the day as extremely dynamic and rapidly unfolding. They are asking the community to help with the investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Check at 456-2233.

    Hope this helps,
    Tony Portland, Oregon
  5. netcarrier

    netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

    Likes Received:
    More from Spokane Deputy Shooting:

    Curious bystanders stood on street corners surrounding crime scenes Tuesday evening. Two Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputies were shot during a routine traffic stop in north Spokane. Circles of neighbors bonded over the constant blips and bloops of police scanners. Everywhere you turned, the voices of dispatch were omnipresent.

    If you thought more people were listening into the scanner yesterday, they were. In an email from the CEO of Radio Reference, Lindsay C. Blanton III says their website saw a spike from the average 30-40 users for the Spokane County scanner channel. The live audio broadcasting platform saw over 2,000 users as the incident progressed.

    Citizens could hear the open microphones at the Combined Community Center, located at 1620 N. Rebecca. The building houses dispatch for police, fire and county calls. As soon as the code 99 emergency call requesting immediate assistance shouted across the airwaves at 4:15 p.m., the injured deputies became dispatchers' number one priority.

    Police dispatch supervisor Tanya Hauenstein says this is the biggest call they can get.

    “That is the call we prepare for. That is the call we train for. It’s the priority for dispatch. People don’t always want to hear that, but we deal with citizens every day. We never deal with that call,” Hauenstein said.

    At Princeton and Cincinnati, law enforcement stood outside a home that was the site of a home invasion on May 31. Neighbors stood by watching them. Cars that drove by hoping to commute home had the same sound of dispatch communicating to law enforcement, streaming from their vehicle speakers. Neighbors even huddled together to eavesdrop on the audio from a scanner application because somebody had it on their phone.

    A standard scanner allows the user to program to different channels to hear various patrols. You can program your scanner to hear specifically north Spokane scanner chatter for the three agencies. What you hear streamed online is all three channels from the city, county and fire. With all three channels streaming, it becomes a mess of information.

    “It’s hard to sort through the traffic. They’re set to scan a number of channels at one time. It might get some unrelated traffic,” Hauenstein said. “Shots fired on one side or a domestic violence on another side. People might combine the two incidents. As a citizen, that’s the first thing they should pay attention to and question what they’re hearing.”

    With that in mind, is scanner traffic streamed online reliable information? The first mention of Tuesday’s shooting came from the Twitter account, @SCFireNews, which stands for Spokane County Fire News. The man behind the account, Noah, stands by listening to the online scanner to help distribute law enforcement information. He declined to provide his last name to maintain some anonymity.

    When he heard an exasperated voice scream "nine-nine" over the scanner, he says he contemplated for about ten seconds if the call was real.

    Noah wrote in an email describing the moment, “Did I really just hear that? As it got going I felt sick to my stomach. I had to step away for a minute. I could hear emotion in the voices of the officers that responded.”

    The call was eventually confirmed and media embarked to scrape together information and learn what exactly happened. Hauenstein stresses that without knowing the full details of a situation, people will skip around and say “we heard this or that.”

    For most media outlets, the standard protocol is to listen, call and confirm information. Without confirming, you run the risk of reporting wrong information. When reporters turn up on scene, sometimes what they heard on the scanner isn’t the case when they get there. You protect yourself from crying wolf.

    In this situation, Noah's fears were true. Two deputies were shot following a traffic stop and were being transported to the hospital for surgery. When news reached law enforcement officers and deputies, nearly every on-shift personnel raced to the scene to help. Hauenstein said it became a mutual aid situation putting a majority of all other calls for the city on hold. She says that many people that put in a call following the shooting had to wait.

    “We had no officers to send to that call with the very few officers that were available city-wide. That’s part of the dispatch game anyway - what call comes first.” Hauenstein.

    You can hear the audio from dispatch as the incident progressed. They’re embedded above in order of each 30-minute part. The first bit of audio signifying the officers shot is 6 minutes and 15 seconds in on part one.

    Tony Portland, Oregon Area
  6. slimer13

    slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

    Likes Received: