JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I'm looking for some clarification in regards to the dreaded Measure 114. I've had a Remington 572 since my grandfather gave it to me when I was 8 years old. The gun is priceless to me and still gives me loads of enjoyment to shoot. With the mag ban looming, I've got 3 questions that I've been wondering about. First, will I be able to transport it? Second, will I be able to target practice with it outside of private property? Third, will I be able to go hunting with it?

For those of you that are more versed on the particulars of 114, thank you very much for shedding some light on this for me. And for the record, I'm for sure voting no. Got the bubble filled in already. And I've told everyone I know or run into to vote no as well.

I agree with bwpaull. Your would seem to fall into an exception.

"PROHIBITIONS/EXCEPTIONS TO LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES
SECTION 11. (1)
(B) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with 0.22 caliber rimfire ammunition;"

Whew. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I'd been hearing conflicting comments on that so wanted to check. Now we all need to rally and vote the whole thing down so none of us need to worry about it.

Second, will I be able to target practice with it outside of private property? Third, will I be able to go hunting with it?

For those of you that are more versed on the particulars of 114, thank you very much for shedding some light on this for me. And for the record, I'm for sure voting no. Got the bubble filled in already. And I've told everyone I know or run into to vote no as well.
Under Section 11 it states "....at a public or private shooting range or shooting gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law"

So yes, you can hunt with it. Also in addition to the stated hunting I consider "or for recreational activities" to mean including target shooting. Which is currently permitted on State, BLM and National Forest lands except in areas prohibited. So if 114 passes, I plan on still shooting my 14 round tubular magazine Remington Nylon 66 in those outdoor places.

As it only calls out the .22's what about our beloved Lever Actions in larger calibers then the .22? Some of mine can hold more then 10 rounds, and even a few can hold more then the hunting regulations allow! I have NEVER been challenged by any state official or LEO about my Marlin 1895 with it's 7 round magazine tube! I have never been challenged on my Mod-8 Semi that holds 8 rounds!

As it only calls out the .22's what about our beloved Lever Actions in larger calibers then the .22? Some of mine can hold more then 10 rounds, and even a few can hold more then the hunting regulations allow! I have NEVER been challenged by any state official or LEO about my Marlin 1895 with it's 7 round magazine tube! I have never been challenged on my Mod-8 Semi that holds 8 rounds!
Explicitly exempts lever action rifles with tubular magazines.

That's what what I read ....
PROHIBITIONS/EXCEPTIONS TO LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES
SECTION 11. (1)

(C) A tubular ammunition feeding device that is contained in a lever action firearm.

Doesn't specify anything about caliber.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top