JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You know what, with some use the rifle's magazine (a.k.a clip) is already getting easier to use. BTW, the rifle is a Marlin XT-22. I now think that this is just normal. The problem, in part, is that my hands have tendon problems, and so this makes everything more difficult and painful. Still, that said, I'm a bit surprised that tube fed rifles aren't praised as a better way to go. I realize that I may be in the minority on this opinion (so spare me the rebuttals, please). But as I imagine this new Marlin XT (7 round capacity) magazine fully broken in, still it seems like it will take me (don't laugh) 30 seconds to load, which is about the same amount of time to load 15 rounds into my tube fed Marlin 60 SB. So, for me, I like (overall) the tube fed better than the clip type magazine. The magazine has one advantage though, and that is it can be kept loaded up and separate from the rifle. Thus, when the ground squirrels mock me atop my wood pile outside, and can pop the clip/mag in and run outside, shoot (and usually miss :). With the tube fed I must either quicklly throw a couple of rounds in the tube, or keep it loaded at all times, which is unsafe.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Brian

You know what, with some use the rifle's magazine (a.k.a clip) is already getting easier to use. BTW, the rifle is a Marlin XT-22. I now think that this is just normal. The problem, in part, is that my hands have tendon problems, and so this makes everything more difficult and painful. Still, that said, I'm a bit surprised that tube fed rifles aren't praised as a better way to go. I realize that I may be in the minority on this opinion (so spare me the rebuttals, please). But as I imagine this new Marlin XT (7 round capacity) magazine fully broken in, still it seems like it will take me (don't laugh) 30 seconds to load, which is about the same amount of time to load 15 rounds into my tube fed Marlin 60 SB. So, for me, I like (overall) the tube fed better than the clip type magazine. The magazine has one advantage though, and that is it can be kept loaded up and separate from the rifle. Thus, when the ground squirrels mock me atop my wood pile outside, and can pop the clip/mag in and run outside, shoot (and usually miss :). With the tube fed I must either quicklly throw a couple of rounds in the tube, or keep it loaded at all times, which is unsafe.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Brian

Center fire pointed bullets in a tube are unsafe, rim fire, not so much.

30 seconds to reload a tube is too long. :) Build your brass tube as a speed loader, and fill it up with 15 rounds. Then when you open the tube pour in your 15 22's and put the plug back in. 5 seconds tops. With practice it's almost as fast as inserting a mag. Much faster than inserting a clip. :)

You can pick up old tube fed guns cheap as well.

Pull the spring tube and they all come out, thats just as fast as a mag.

Um, No.

It is the majority of the time (rather than the minority), that when you pull the tube, one live cartridge will remain in the staging area. This repetitive little "feature" has probably resulted in countless surprises (and some discharges).

Always replace the tube, rack the slide at least twice to find that pesky little bugger and insure an empty gun.

No charge for this service, Drive Safely.

Center fire pointed bullets in a tube are unsafe, rim fire, not so much.

30 seconds to reload a tube is too long. :) Build your brass tube as a speed loader, and fill it up with 15 rounds. Then when you open the tube pour in your 15 22's and put the plug back in. 5 seconds tops. With practice it's almost as fast as inserting a mag. Much faster than inserting a clip. :)

You can pick up old tube fed guns cheap as well.

I have an easier solution. Depress the follower and drill a small hole in the end of the tube you take out to load the gun.Load the cartridges in the tube and put a pin thru the small hole to hold the bullets in the tube.
Then when you are wanting to kill some vermin,put the tube in the gun,up to the pin and then pull the pin.Shove the tube in and go kill them tree rats.
Then have a tube for back up.But where are these tube gunna lay anyway? Seems easy for the house,but you going to carry them where you're out hunting?
And are you going to use this for a battle rifle? How is 30 seconds to long to load a tube gun?

Just askin'

Um, No.

It is the majority of the time (rather than the minority), that when you pull the tube, one live cartridge will remain in the staging area. This repetitive little "feature" has probably resulted in countless surprises (and some discharges).

Always replace the tube, rack the slide at least twice to find that pesky little bugger and insure an empty gun.

No charge for this service, Drive Safely.

Plus, this little old girl loads through the stock, not under the muzzle. It's not a quick process.

Oooh! Oooh!

Stupid Teenage Trick for buttstock-loading tube magazine .22's (Applicable to the Browning and the Nylon 66, and the Mossberg 151 among others):

Overload your magazine by 4-5 rounds, put the tube in behind (the tube will stick out of the butt that much). Fire away with the tube on your shoulder. As you fire, the tube recedes to where it should be.

Instantly and Stupidly Teenagedly increase your magazine capacity by 50%! Amaze your Stupid Teenage Friends!

Yours Truly,

Stupid Teenager (still).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews