JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Ruger American in 7.62x39 about 9 months ago. I wanted a training rifle for the kids that shot good and was cheap to feed. It's been an excellent shooter right out of the box and with x2 shots it took x2 deer last season with Barnaul 123gr soft point. (My dad taking his buck and mine a doe)
Pictured below is how the rifle was set up during hunting season, minus the cheek rest.
D5BEE760-7369-4ADC-A18D-C85B21E28CEE.jpeg
OpticsPlanet had a "TRYBE Defense" sale recently and I saw an aluminum chassis that fits the Ruger American for $300. It's significantly cheaper than any other chassis or stock, so I bit.

Testing-
I didn't weigh the rifle with original stock setup but with the barreled action on the chassis, feels slightly heavier. My setup with chassis is 11lb 8oz. That's scope, bipod and suppressor. It's heavy but not so much I would go back to the oem stock. The website says the chassis is 3.7lbs. My oem Ruger stock was 2.1lbs with cheek rest still on.

I did x3 4 shot groups with the oem stock, dropped it in the chassis and did x3 more 4 shot groups.

OEM stock- at 100yds off bench on a sled.
Barnaul 123gr SP 1.5in group
Wolf 123gr HP 1in group
Brown Bear 123gr HP 2.5in group

TRYBE Chassis- 100yds off bench on a sled.
Barnaul 123gr SP 3/4in group
Wolf 123gr HP 3/4in group
Brown Bear 123gr HP 1 3/4in group

Barnaul on left. Wolf on right.
363AED46-284F-466B-A54A-C50271676388.jpeg C9EFCCAF-917C-441A-BBC8-2673FD530D5D.jpeg

The chassis its self is comfortable in the hand and simple in design. Easily adjustable length of pull with plates at the end of the stock. Multiple cheek pieces to get the right height for eye relief. The cheek rest is hard plastic. I'll probably stick on some 1/4in foam. The grip is basic and not great. It'll get replaced with the fat Ergo grip.

The bad news is the magazine. I figured the Ruger mags would work. I figured wrong. It looks like it takes a short action AI mag. I ordered one to test. Hopefully it feeds the 7.62x39, but I guess I'll find out soon.
FCCEB666-768A-4890-B449-2450E2A34F50.jpeg 7A5D0AA5-4A93-4840-8D40-09C8B41B419F.jpeg

Last note on the Ruger American 7.62x39… the bolt is horrendous. It chatters the whole time going forward. I'm going to try lapping it, but if you buy one, give the bolt a try in the store first. Even knowing the bolt sucks, I'd still buy this rifle again.

I have the exact same rifle and am thinking about the exact same chassis. Did you ever find a magazine that works? They don't really make AICS mags in 7.62x39 but I read online that 6mm arc mags may work just as well.

I'm impressed also that your groups improved from the chassis alone, I didn't think the Ruger stock was that bad.

I have the exact same rifle and am thinking about the exact same chassis. Did you ever find a magazine that works? They don't really make AICS mags in 7.62x39 but I read online that 6mm arc mags may work just as well.

I'm impressed also that your groups improved from the chassis alone, I didn't think the Ruger stock was that bad.
This is the kit I bought for the mags. It works perfectly.

I also ended up sending the bolt to AD Arms and getting it fluted. It's significantly smoother now.

Honest question, not meant to be sarcastic.
After swapped mags , mag guts, chassis, bolt polishing... how much cheaper is it that just paying up for a CZ in 7.62x39? Including time and general aggravation?
Now that CZ has the 7.62x39 Trail, I probably would have gone that route. My Ruger is a keeper because of the accuracy, but everything else on it needed work. I will price out the total cost later and update this reply.

Honest question, not meant to be sarcastic.
After swapped mags , mag guts, chassis, bolt polishing... how much cheaper is it that just paying up for a CZ in 7.62x39? Including time and general aggravation?
Total $970 ish minus scope, rings, base, bipod, and AICS mag body.
Gun $475
Chassis $299
Bolt handle $64
Bolt flutes $84
Mag conversion $45

So, a rifle that shoots 3/4in groups for under $1k with steel cased ammo, I'm okay with that.

IMG_4304.jpeg IMG_4305.jpeg IMG_4306.jpeg IMG_4303.jpeg

@Knobgoblin , Thanks!

I have the Ruger ranch x39 as well. I haven't had any light strikes, but I'm only a few 20rd mags through so far. Can't get it to reliably feed with factory 20rd Ruger mini-30. I'm also not a huge fan of the bolt, but for the cost, I'm not too concerned and am not going to complain. It does lock up tight, so...

I'm looking at upgrading to the aftermarket magwell that accepts the Magpul akm magazines. I have plenty of those and from what I have seen there is a huge difference between the factory magwell and ruger mini-30 mags, vs the aftermarket magwell and the magpul akm mags.

Ultimately, I wasn't really trying to make another hunting rifle. I'd like to keep it in the factory stock, do the magwell swap and add a cheek riser. I might take a little material off under the barrel to make sure it isn't making contact anywhere. Have seen online where this has made a slight difference for people.

I may have to look into having the bolt fluted though, that sounds like it would be worth the cost, if it improves the feel.

I have had the Ruger ranch 7.62x39 for over 6 months and most likely have had about 200 rounds through it, no issues with barnaul FMJ 123 gr although I haven't seen any around lately. I will say although that I have had really good experience with that ammo in both the Ruger as well as the SKS.

Did you use a torque screwdriver like https://a.co/d/9fgjiFD to install the action and barrel into the chassis? I see a lot of YouTube videos where people use these to get the right torque on the screws but I'm not sure if it's a must have. Was wondering if you did or not?
I did not. I've got one like that for scopes and mounts but on the chassis I just snugged the bolts and loosened them a couple times. Then added a drop of blue thread locker and cinched them down snug.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top