JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I made a stop at the Beaverton Bi-Mart and picked up some boxes of 308 to test fire. They had some TrueVelocity composite ammunition that was on sale for the same price as some other brands so I grabbed a box as well. Should be interesting to see how it performs against traditional ammunition.

Has anyone else tried composite ammo?

View attachment 1332625
So what is the case made out of? I'll be interested to hear about your results on that.

There is supposed to be less heat transfer from the case to the chamber because the case being polymer is a poor heat conductor. This would most likely be a plus if you lived in the full auto world .

From what I understand the manufacturer is trying to get a military contract to supply ammo. They might be able to as it's cheaper to manufacturer the cases and it's lighter so troops can carry more. Though life span of the case is yet to be determined. But does have the advantage of not being as vulnerable to cold temps, temp fluctuations or rust as brass is. Though i don't see it holding up well in extreme heat, but I could be wrong.

Refer to a thread about this very ammo from possibly a year or more ago. I weighed several cases and complete rounds, found they're likely full of it about using less powder. They do not function in a semi auto without modification.

They had some TrueVelocity composite ammunition that was on sale for the same price as some other brands
I was surprised to see this comment, because I've noted in the past that the price was substantially more. So just now, I went to the True Velocity site. The prices they show for .308 are $70 per box of 20. So Bi-Mart must've gotten a heck of a deal to be able to sell them for a comparable price to just about any brass cased version.

it's cheaper to manufacturer the cases and it's lighter so troops can carry more.
I wonder about this. Because the plastic case involves two separate elements of differing materials, may not be quite the shortcut. The original list price as mentioned above certainly doesn't seem to reflect any economy of manufacture.

Seems like I've seen some plastic / metal head composite .223 Rem. cases laying on the ground, they weren't any premium brand as I recall. Was it PCA Spectrum?

Seems like it could be made run in an semi auto with an adjustable gas system. If I had a bimart near me I would buy some to try in my frankenfal. That rifle will eat anything.

Seems like it could be made run in an semi auto with an adjustable gas system. If I had a bimart near me I would buy some to try in my frankenfal. That rifle will eat anything.
I don't think so. My experience says you would need much more gas, not less. The way to fix this issue would be a lighter recoil mechanism or maybe a suppressor

I don't think so. My experience says you would need much more gas, not less. The way to fix this issue would be a lighter recoil mechanism or maybe a suppressor
That is where the fal gas system excels. It is usually set to bleed off some gas even with lighter loads. It can be opened up to direct more gas to the piston if needed. An ar10 would need a large enough gas port to begin with to possibly work with lower pressure ammo.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews