JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 6'x10' utility trailer with 3' high sides that I use to haul my UTV into the woods. I have a Coleman tent that is a 8x10. I thought it would be cool to find a tent that would fit in the Utility trailer for extra security and ease of set up on camping sites.

I've been searching and every tent that will fit either has the door on the side, and won't work. Or, is a pup tent design with limited vertical space.

Then I came across truck bed tents that may be perfect. My trailer is 71.5" wide inside, and full-size truck beds are 65" wide, so my trailer is 6.5" wider than every truck bed tent I've found.

Does anyone have a truck bed tent? Do you think my trailer being a few inches wider would be an issue?

This is my trailer:

8jTo3wPoRICCjLWaiGfqHA.jpg

This is the tent I'm looking at...

A1TSeClsbOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was thinking about this too, only I thought about adding a frame to mine so I could have storage underneath. Similar to a roof top tent.
When you get it post some pics and let's see how it works

@clearconscience I've thought if one could mount up a couple USGI litters on a trailer, sort of like how the ambulance jeeps had brackets and the like for the litters, one could have a raised sleep area? Not sure how itd work with a tent structure, may look more like a Rooftop tent than a truck bed trailer..

Actually... @HaveGun , does your trailer have upside down J hooks on the sides for tarps? Maybe look into finding bows and cargo covers similar to that used by military trucks... may have to do some modding like brackets for the bows

Yeah, I could have easily come up with a PVC frame and made an A-frame structure, but I couldn't figure out how to keep it fully enclosed on the ends to keep out mosquitoes and allow for ventilation. A good tarp is about $40, plus all the pieces of PVC and whatnot and I was getting close to the $100 price of the truck bed tent.

Yeah, I could have easily come up with a PVC frame and made an A-frame structure, but I couldn't figure out how to keep it fully enclosed on the ends to keep out mosquitoes and allow for ventilation. A good tarp is about $40, plus all the pieces of PVC and whatnot and I was getting close to the $100 price of the truck bed tent.
Curve the pvc with heat. Canvas tarps way bigger than needed could give you enough materials for ends. Or box frame it with same shape as the front frame, and do something similar to this
29a31c76701aa71aa9ca04855e7c8026.jpg

@HaveGun, how did this turn out?

I ran across this thread by Googling "Putting a truck bed tent on a utility trailer" and this popped up... FIRST PAGE.
Congratulations, you're famous.

I just picked up a (cheap) utility trailer built from a pop-up camper. The steel frame is solid, and the "builder" was pretty ingenious, in a redneck-engineer sort of way... but it's ready for a rebuild so l thought I'd convert it to a dual purpose trailer; utility and "residential" for our once or twice/year adventures in pretend homelessness.

It probably needs to be narrowed a bit to standard truck bed dims, I'll be doing my own redneck engineering on it soon. I thought if l got it to the same dimensions as my Dodge's bed l could still use the tent on my solo trips when l pack much (MUCH) less gear and don't need the trailer.

Yeah... it's unattractive
20210526_130445.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR