JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pretty simple concept here as the title states. Where do you guys get your trigger time in during the hunting seasons? I try not to do too much shooting at local spots to be courteous to hunters, and try not to get accidentally shot. The most obvious answer is clubs/ranges but if you don't have access to those (on 2 waitlists currently) where do you get your lead therapy?

Ranges for me.

I used to pay no attention to time of year. One day (probably 13 years ago) I was out shooting with @Weebs up in the hills when this old boy rolls up in his truck.

"You guys having a good time?"
"Yeah!"
"Good, cause you're bubblegumming up the hunting!"

He drove off, we packed up, and made a note for the future :)

Cracks me up to hear this.
Shooting does not bother the game one bit, not in the slightest, they hear it all year long, most every day. It is about as normal an experience to animals as wind and rain. How many times have you had to stop shooting practice because a deer wandered onto the range? I know it has happened to me multiple times each year.

It is the increased vehicle traffic, hunters tromping around in the woods where they normally don't, and being pursued relentlessly from dawn to dusk that screws up the hunting.

Hunters complaining about target shooters tells me something about their hunting prowess.....

I try to stick close to areas known for target practice with safe backdrops. If hunting, I try to stay clear of them. I feel for now, there are plenty of public lands to share.
Many less prepared hunters wait till opening day, sometimes the day before to sight in any way.
I'm a hunter with years of noting gunfire, not fired within sight the game, has little affect over other game, other than possibly a cursory feeling of curiosity. To support my notation, I have been in areas where opening day sounded like a battle field till dusk, (sometimes after??!!) yet following days still produced many successful tags and views of game going about their day eating and napping (when you get off the road).
More impactful, are an overload of hunters in one area, especially if they actually get out of their rigs and scour the land disturbing bedding and shelter spots. If you have target shooters and the area does not produce game it is more likely the game are somewhere else at that time not that the target shooters scared them away. If that were true, and the area gets regular target use, there would be no game there anyway.

Though I have no problem with target shooting while I'm hunting, not many others may feel that way.
In particular, Bow Hunters. I cannot speak for the percentage, I'm hoping it is very low, but an inordinate amount (not all) I have stumbled on to seem to believe their tag grants them singular ownership of the woods and have become overtly hostile especially when fortified in groups, when they hear gunfire.
Never reaching beyond words and threats for me, I have heard of others having their tires slit.

Some form of hunting goes on year round. Respectful sharing shrinking public lands seems reasonable to me, It seems to have a different meaning for a few, similar to yield signs on the road.

Not my issue.
I don't pay bankroll to hunt.
Us bottom dwellers are left dry.
Deal with it.
Enjoy your 40+ thousand acres of privacy.

Last Edited:
It's not so much the game being scared off but more so the negativity that comes from hunters who are frustrated that they haven't filled their tag yet. Typically I have to problem telling these people to kick rocks but it does put a damper on taking the wife/kids or new shooters out.

I shoot on public land regardless. 90% of these "hunters" (at least from my observation in the last 15 or so years) shoot from their vehicles anyway, what does it matter? They gonna stop me from shooting? Doubt it....just my opinion :s0033:

Shooting does not bother the game one bit, not in the slightest, they hear it all year long, most every day. It is about as normal an experience to animals as wind and rain. How many times have you had to stop shooting practice because a deer wandered onto the range? I know it has happened to me multiple times each year.

It is the increased vehicle traffic, hunters tromping around in the woods where they normally don't, and being pursued relentlessly from dawn to dusk that screws up the hunting.

Hunters complaining about target shooters tells me something about their hunting prowess.....
Wow, that's a really good point.

I totally agree.

Sounds mostly unanimous; shoot on public lands regardless of the whining from "some unlucky" hunters. That being said does anyone care to share some spots that are near my area? Canby, Aurora, Hubbard, Woodburn, etc... My usual area is near estacada/colton so something closer might help me go more often.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top