JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I have several tree stumps and a couple of pounds of smokeless powder I am not likely to use--Clays Universal or some such and one other.

I cannot have explosions here--crowded--but wonder whether I can gain any benefit burning the unwanted powder in the holes that have been drilled into the stumps, whether I can do it without danger of explosion. Or whether it would just be an exercise in watching pretty flames.

Okay, I have several tree stumps and a couple of pounds of smokeless powder I am not likely to use--Clays Universal or some such and one other.

I cannot have explosions here--crowded--but wonder whether I can gain any benefit burning the unwanted powder in the holes that have been drilled into the stumps, whether I can do it without danger of explosion. Or whether it would just be an exercise in watching pretty flames.
NO

Loose smokeless powder won't explode when set afire. It will only "explode" when confined.

Without confinement it is an accelerant - a flammable powder. Most powders won't light with a simple flame either - they would take a torch to get them lit.

It won't do much though as it burns rather quickly. Depending on the amount, it will burn out in less than a minute.

You would do better cutting the stump down as even with the ground as possible, then drilling holes down into it, then filling those holes with diesel and letting it soak in, and then lighting it on fire, but that too won't do much good.

Also, it is not burning season - too dry - so you may get a ticket for burning right now.

If you want to get rid of smokeless powder, and don't want to give it to someone, wait until the rainy season and sprinkle it on your lawn and garden in small amounts over a period of time. It is essentially nitrogen fertilizer.

Oregon was "made" by stump burning. Drill holes and set afire.. let burn for around a year or whatever. So I would think an "accelerant" such as smokeless powder would only expedite the process.

Smokeless burns too fast. Need a slow burning fuel like kerosene or diesel (bio of course to make hippies happy). Drill holes in top, add a little fuel and let soak for a day.

Burn baby burn. Time is on your side.

Smokeless burns too fast. Need a slow burning fuel like kerosene or diesel (bio of course to make hippies happy). Drill holes in top, add a little fuel and let soak for a day.

Burn baby burn. Time is on your side.

Pour used cooking oil/etc. onto the stump, use a mix of diesel and gas to get it started. Also, charcoal briquettes have been used to keep it going. There are a number of vids of how to burn stumps on youtube.

But wait until it is safe to burn!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads