JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im stationed in Washington where it is legal to own a suppressor but not utilize,:confused:, but I dont mind taking a trip down to oregon every once and a while to shoot every other month or so to enjoy a freedom I cant enjoy in my current state of residence.So in short where are the nearest ranges in oregon to shoot coming from Ft. Lewis.

Why don't you just hit up the range on base for free and less travel? When I was in (just under two years ago) the range officer opened up the range at least once a week for open use?

I remember showing up a few times and was offered thousands of rounds to use just to lower inventory (could NOT take home, just fire there)...

Just a thought?

Why don't you just hit up the range on base for free and less travel? When I was in (just under two years ago) the range officer opened up the range at least once a week for open use?

I remember showing up a few times and was offered thousands of rounds to use just to lower inventory (could NOT take home, just fire there)...

Just a thought?

Because of this part:

legal to own a suppressor but not utilize

Even active duty mil. can not legally fire a privately owned suppressor in the state of Washington.

I know what the law says, but even though it doesn't exempt LE and Military, we still use them.

There was a thread awhile back about this...I spoke with the Asst. AG directly, and he said even though there's no exemption, he also doesn't feel it would be prosecutable either.

Of course I told him I didn't think anyone wanted to be the guinea pig for that...

So to answer your question, Military and LE are able to use them...we have for years.

I would love to wait on my can to get here and know of somewhere I COULD use a suppressor legally, seriously. wichaka, I would hate to be pulled into my first sgt's office for screwing up, he knows im a gun nut, but just trying to do it right, you know.

I understand, and was no way trying to help justify the use of it. If I did come across that way, I apologize.

If the Military tells you no, then its no. The same here, if the Chief or Sheriff chooses not to use them, then its no.

can u bring them across State lines?
Yes, but there is paperwork involved (as with everything ATF) an approved Form 5320.20 is needed.

I always understood military bases were considered federal land and NOT the states land therefore you're not obligated to follow state laws while on the base, military laws apply?
That is what I understood to be true too. Have friends at Camp Pendleton and Twentynine Palms who have all different kinds of non KA legal assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

I always understood military bases were considered federal land and NOT the states land therefore you're not obligated to follow state laws while on the base, military laws apply?

That is the idea and thus making it OK to use. I would speak with the range officer before hand. At most, you will draw attention to yourself and others will want to shoot it.

In simple words; The military polices its own on base and if the person in charge of the ranges gives you a "good-to-go", then run with it. If he says no (which would be wrong and a long shot), just embrace the suck and deal without?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders320

Just a thought?

Because of this part:

Quote:
legal to own a suppressor but not utilize

Even active duty mil. can not legally fire a privately owned suppressor in the state of Washington.[/QUOTE]

Being in the military and on a resticted government facility, you cant what? Thats just the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.. You'd think your commanding officer could just give you a pass or something..

Montana and Texas are sounding better by the day.. these idiots the run OR and WA need to pull thier heads out

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but there is paperwork involved (as with everything ATF) an approved Form 5320.20 is needed.

That is what I understood to be true too. Have friends at Camp Pendleton and Twentynine Palms who have all different kinds of non KA legal assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

That is incorrect, Silencers are exempt from form 5320.20.

In any case, the OP would be foolish to try and shoot anywhere within WA state lines, even on base.

No one has ever been prosecuted in WA for shooting with a legally owned silencer in the state. That says a lot about whether the law is aimed at home made "contrivances" that are legally possessed or if its aimed at legally owned silencers. I have several legally owned and federally registered silencers and I use them frequently.

I've been browsing and asking, and I hoping you folks might be able to help.

My first ever Form 4 just got approved and I picked up my Spectre. I was hoping that you folks can suggest a non-membership required place to shoot in OR. GPS coordinates or maybe a google map to some outdoor locations would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Memalose. On 205 take the Estacada exit. When you exit Estacada, drive about 6 miles and you will see the marina. About 2 miles past the maria is a big green steel bridge. You can't miss it. Turn and go over the bridge and then continue 6.8 miles to the quarry. You can not shoot below the quarry. Shoot at the quarry or continue past it and find another place.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top