JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to drive to Sandpoint, ID this weekend (from Portland) and I'm a little worried about road conditions. I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with this route, especially this time of year and can provide any insight. I need to take a sprinter van with RWD only.

THanks!

You should bring Chains and know how to mount them properly! I have driven that route in snow/ice with my 3500 series Sprinter duelly towing a trailer and it was fine, though I had chains, didn't have to use them, and drove all the way to Douglas Wy. And back in the snow! Having good all season tires is also a major help!

I need to drive to Sandpoint, ID this weekend (from Portland) and I'm a little worried about road conditions. I'm wondering if anyone here is familiar with this route, especially this time of year and can provide any insight. I need to take a sprinter van with RWD only.

THanks!
Looks like snow this weekend. Depending on timing and severity, it could be nasty. An inch of snow in a RWD without snow tires isn't fun.

It will likely be smooth sailing until at least the Tri Cities.

At the least, put some weight in the back. If you stay on the main thoroughfares, which are sprayed and plowed, it should be doable. If you get on any side roads, you may be SOL.

Snow tires.
Take your time. It's better to leave early and make it on time rather than drive like a bat of hell and crash enroute.
Major highways will be your best bet.
Blankets, food, and water in case of trip becoming fubar.

Cannot stress, good actual snow tires. Best bets are the "studdable tires". Look also for this symbol, with or without the M+S

three-peak-mountain-snowflake-3pmsf-600w-332022698.jpg 00003634115255-0644.jpg

Also, having good chains will be of benefit. 25lb or 40lb sandbags, a few above the back axle will help immensely for traction. I agree with having winter rated sleeping bags, wool blankets, warm clothes, a 2 burner propane stove, some canned/dry foods, 5 gallons of water, and fresh batteries in flashlights.. oh also, roadside emergency kit that includes triangle, flares, jumper cables and chem light sticks..

I personally would not go. Or I'd hire someone else, unless a booty call was waiting at the end...

That said, I don't drive in the snow in general, not because I doubt my ability but because I doubt everyone else's. You can be a perfect driver and one idiot can make a dumber Steven hawking out of you in an instant. Even when there's just an inch in Eugene, people end up hopping curbs, going the wrong way down one ways, wrapping up on light poles, through fences...

Now is not the time to learn to drive snow. Have chains and know how to put them on and drive with them. speed and distance are very important. slow down...a lot. Stopping distance....all you can get.
Tires for the conditions, Chains in hand and a head full of knowledge tends to work for me. Be prepared for the conditions including chaining up. Have something to kneal on and gloves for the hands as well as some towels to dry them off. You will get cold hands.
When the signs says "chains required"....put them on. Most states out this way have implemented new laws with fines. Oregon is $800.
If you do not have chains now, get them and then go home and put them on. 1st for the know how and 2nd to make sure they fit your tire and clear your body/wheel wells. Also keep the basic winter "stuff" in your vehicle....some food, water, dry cloths ect...basic winter keep you in comfort type stuff....the stuff the media has to remind some folks about every year.

Damn.
Some of you guys sound like the apocalypse is coming.
There are parts of this country that spend 6-8 months covered in snow and folks survive just fine.
Slowing down, plenty of time to get there, and a few supplies will get you there and back in one piece. Snow tires help tremondously. Chains will assist if needed.

I've been driving up and over mountain passes across Washington state since I was 15. What I've seen in the last 30 years can be attributed to folks speeding, not having proper tires/traction, and not being prepared to stay on the side of the road for a day.
My dad still drives long haul across the country coast to coast in the dead of winter, it's a rare day that his truck doesn't move as scheduled due to weather.

Your drive can be done easily.

Last Edited:
I have made the Portland - Northern Idaho trip (I84 to I82 to 395 to I90) many times, winter included. Unless in the middle of a winter storm or icy rain, the roads, including 95 from CdA to Sandpoint, should be plowed/cleared.

Oregon, Washington, Idaho DOT Trip Check:

bear in mind, there is a difference in the conditions from the valley and east of the bump. wet and slick west side plus all the wackado's who feel the need to go drive just 'cause they can.
Compared to east side that has drier air, dries snow, less populated and folks that adapt well. Spent a large chunk of my life eastside and hauling cattle to westside.
remeber kids...the commercials are a parody. Nobody in their sane mind is going to mach 4 on a twisty snow/ice road with their micro suv.

Damn.
Some of you guys sound like the apocalypse is coming.
There are parts of this country that spend 6-8 months covered in snow and folks survive just fine.
Slowing down, plenty of time to get there, and a few supplies will get you there and back in one piece. Snow tires help tremondously. Chains will assist if needed.

I've been driving up and over mountain passes across Washington state since I was 15. What I've seen in the last 30 years can be attributed to folks speeding, not having proper tires/traction, and not being prepared to stay on the side of the road for a day.
My dad still drives long haul across the country coast to coast in the dead of winter, it's a rare day that his truck doesn't move as scheduled due to weather.

Your drive can be done easily.
When I was a kid I drove a muscle car with 60 series summer tires for three winters in a relatively snowy area. I just put sandbags in the trunk and drove slow. Except in empty parking lots. :)

When I was a kid I drove a muscle car with 60 series summer tires for three winters in a relatively snowy area. I just put sandbags in the trunk and drove slow. Except in empty parking lots. :)

My dad took me out in his VW bus with a porsche engine. Learners permit. Empty parking lot.
Told me to do donuts. After about 30 minutes of that we went and drove around town in the snow. I learned how to drive in that bus. In the snow. Across the state between the Seattle area and Walla Walla in all kinds of conditions.
By the time I was 16 and had my license I had already racked up more miles in a year than most adults in 2 years of driving.
The only time the my dad didn't let me drive was when I was tired. That was a well taught lesson.

Last Edited:
On snow and ice:
  • studded snow tires
  • Gear down one gear
  • 10 mph under the limit YMMV
  • Drive normally but defensively
  • It's not about starting; It's all about stopping

On snow and ice:
  • studded snow tires
  • Gear down one gear
  • 10 mph under the limit YMMV
  • Drive normally but defensively
  • It's not about starting; It's all about stopping
I actually go up a gear. But I'm not going faster than usual, I'm going slower. I'm one gear higher than I would normally be for the speed I'm going because it produces less torque and is less likely to spin the tires. Of course I don't let it lug because that would just make things worse.

my opinion, in general, is if you have to ask if you will be ok you should probably stay home.

and you asked about "this route" but didn't mention which route you were talking about other than from portland.

I actually go up a gear. But I'm not going faster than usual, I'm going slower. I'm one gear higher than I would normally be for the speed I'm going because it produces less torque and is less likely to spin the tires. Of course I don't let it lug because that would just make things worse.
Studded snow tires handle the starting part, gearing down along with decreased speed handles the more important stopping part. When I lived in Eastern Idaho I got so used to driving in snow and on ice that when I came to visit my folks here for Christmas I would have to slow down when I lost the ice which was usually around Twin Falls.

Also, much later had to drive the folks to Bozeman just before Christmas one winter for a family crisis. No issue in their Camry following the same procedure.

I think the key is to take it easy and pay attention, but don't be afraid of it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top