JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to move next Spring or Summer. We are looking to sell our house, and leave. Some of it is neighborhood decay, other bits are the high taxes and restrictive laws.
Now, my collection is much more substantial than when I moved from California to Oregon post grad school. Any tips on not damaging guns in a safe while driving 8-10 hours. My gut instinct is to pack all my clothes in with the guns. Any tips from anyone who successfully moved recently?

We will most likely be moving twice. Once to a rental, and once to a purchased home. Looking in Northern ID at 5-10 acres if possible or outside Boise.

Those of you from ID, any thoughts? Any tips. And I promise to do everything I can to not californicate Idaho.

I am looking to move next Spring or Summer. We are looking to sell our house, and leave. Some of it is neighborhood decay, other bits are the high taxes and restrictive laws.
Now, my collection is much more substantial than when I moved from California to Oregon post grad school. Any tips on not damaging guns in a safe while driving 8-10 hours. My gut instinct is to pack all my clothes in with the guns. Any tips from anyone who successfully moved recently?

We will most likely be moving twice. Once to a rental, and once to a purchased home. Looking in Northern ID at 5-10 acres if possible or outside Boise.

Those of you from ID, any thoughts? Any tips. And I promise to do everything I can to not californicate Idaho.

Boise is full of commiefornians and it shows.

The further north you go, the better the state gets IMO.

Last Edited:
Good to know. Property values are also appearing to dip lower down there which would allow us to have a homestead and pretty much go off grid entirely. There are also more jobs for me. Truly awesome homes are within our price point in Northern Idaho, but would require us to still have a mortgage. Part of me just wants to ditch that. Ironically, my wife's job would need no changes or approval if we went to Northern Idaho. She would do the same thing. Boise would require employer approval.

However, definitely leaning towards the upper part of the state right now the more people from Idaho I talk to. My wife and I plan to do a fact finding trip this late summer, early fall.

Use blankets and towels rather than clothes. Remember that guns may be oily so you may not want to use the good stuff.

Make sure your insurance policy is up to date and fully covers everything you're moving. Note that most home owners policies cap firearms loss at about $2K. It would be a bummer if...God forbid...you got in a fiery crash and lost everything. Or got carjacked or something.

Good luck and Godspeed! :)

Good to know. Property values are also appearing to dip lower down there which would allow us to have a homestead and pretty much go off grid entirely. There are also more jobs for me. Truly awesome homes are within our price point in Northern Idaho, but would require us to still have a mortgage. Part of me just wants to ditch that. Ironically, my wife's job would need no changes or approval if we went to Northern Idaho. She would do the same thing. Boise would require employer approval.

However, definitely leaning towards the upper part of the state right now the more people from Idaho I talk to. My wife and I plan to do a fact finding trip this late summer, early fall.

If you can work remotely I really like the Sawtooth Mtn's. They are beautiful. Remote. And mostly removed from the Boise mess.
I also enjoy the Riggins and Salmon River Canyon area. Somewhere between Grangeville and south to the New Meadows area would be great if I were set on being closer to Boise.
There is also the Idaho Falls, Rexburg, Driggs, and Victor area. Very pretty parts of the state and super close to Jackson and the Tetons if you like that area.

If you go on a fact finding trip I would suggest I would suggest starting in Sandpoint, south to CDA, south to Lewiston, east to Orofino, to Grangeville, then south to Riggins and along the Salmon River, to McCall, to Idaho City, over to Stanley, and then work your way over to Idaho Falls.

Can you tell I've done a bit a traveling in the state?...

I just finished moving my last load of belongings from Moscow on the Willamette to SW Idaho. Am loving everything about my new location and have absolutely no desire to see Potland ever again.

Consider Ada County, where Boise sits, as the Multnomah County of Idaho. Seems to be plenty of conservatives but is likely more liberal than most/many other ID counties. Eagle and Star are 2 notable Ada County cities with strong conservative voices from what I read.

I moved my special irems personally and used a mix of padding with the fire sricks. I put socks on all and padded them with pillows (wrapped in garbage bags), old sheets, a backpacking sleeping pad or 2, and a range of soft materials without any exposed metal (zippers, etc), things that could be tossed after the move.

Safes were ratchet strapped inside an enclosed trailer and rode well. No issues during transport or after.

Wish you safe travels and good fortune in Idaho.

Clothes, blankets, cardboard to help fill in the empty spots. These new packing peanuts are recyclable, when they hit water they melt, so they're very worth trying.

If you can work remotely I really like the Sawtooth Mtn's. They are beautiful. Remote. And mostly removed from the Boise mess.
I also enjoy the Riggins and Salmon River Canyon area. Somewhere between Grangeville and south to the New Meadows area would be great if I were set on being closer to Boise.
There is also the Idaho Falls, Rexburg, Driggs, and Victor area. Very pretty parts of the state and super close to Jackson and the Tetons if you like that area.

If you go on a fact finding trip I would suggest I would suggest starting in Sandpoint, south to CDA, south to Lewiston, east to Orofino, to Grangeville, then south to Riggins and along the Salmon River, to McCall, to Idaho City, over to Stanley, and then work your way over to Idaho Falls.

Can you tell I've done a bit a traveling in the state?...
I appreciate the assistance. With Oregon getting a lot less family friendly. I know someone who hates north Idaho who was raised there. Every bit of her complaints sound magical. I have friends in Northern Idaho, some who I taught to shoot over the weekend. I am hoping to go rural, Basically North of Moscow is a non-issue for my wife's job. (My wife is also a nurse) We could almost certainly get permission to go south, but there are advantages to being in North Idaho for us.

Working remotely might be a trick. My wife is pushing for me to continue it, but I do not know what the job market is like (and my current remote job would not be viable, though hers is.) However, getting a job in one of the local hospitals or in Spokane would be relatively easy for a RN in Psych with 7 years experience. Boise happened to have a huge number of jobs in psych, which is honestly concerning. Though, I would kind of like to change specialties.

I appreciate the assistance. With Oregon getting a lot less family friendly. I know someone who hates north Idaho who was raised there. Every bit of her complaints sound magical. I have friends in Northern Idaho, some who I taught to shoot over the weekend. I am hoping to go rural, Basically North of Moscow is a non-issue for my wife's job. (My wife is also a nurse) We could almost certainly get permission to go south, but there are advantages to being in North Idaho for us.

Working remotely might be a trick. My wife is pushing for me to continue it, but I do not know what the job market is like (and my current remote job would not be viable, though hers is.) However, getting a job in one of the local hospitals or in Spokane would be relatively easy for a RN in Psych with 7 years experience. Boise happened to have a huge number of jobs in psych, which is honestly concerning. Though, I would kind of like to change specialties.

I like the Moscow area.
We went out the eastside of it to get over to Orofino and Lolo pass last September on a motorcycle ride.

From a sportsman's perspective it looked like some great country for deer, turkey, and upland bird hunting. Lewiston and the river aren't that far away. With WSU just across the state line the area has most modern amenities for your trips to town. Lots of open land. Near to some of my favorite areas of the country. To me it's pretty much perfect. Although I don't like scorching summers and there is no ski hill / resort nearby for my winter time activities.

It sounds like you have a pretty good situation if you are not limited to having just one locale to relocate to.
Keep us updated on what you find and how you arrived at the decision.

The areas you are talking about moving to are a one day trip. I think I would just load up the safe/safes empty, fill them with other items like soft goods such as pillows or clothing and transport the firearms in travel cases. Then just make sure to pack the guns where it is easy to get to so you can unload them at your destination whether your new house/property or your rental so they don't spend the night in your vehicle or whatever the transportation device is.

I made sure that there is nothing within the safe that can move around at all, those items or smaller parts were removed and it put in their own separate boxes.

I individually wrap each firearm with bubble wraps and rubber band them. Put them in their slots and then use multiple zip ties to secure them to one another and the frame of the safe so they wouldn't move an inch even in an accident. Worst case you do get in an accident this would reduce a lot of possible damage. That was mainly for rifles. Pistols I would also individually wrap and usually use empty ammo cans filled with bubble wrap and paper also zip ties close along with the latch for extra protection, again minimizing damage if they happen to be flying through the air at speed if there is an accident.

Boise is full of commiefornians and it shows.

The further north you go, the better the state gets IMO.
Yeah we just went to Boise a few months ago, you can smell the soy :( sucks cuz meridian seemed very nice besides some mediocre traffic at some areas. Maybe it was just because of the meridian mall? But I did like the areas just outside Boise 30 mins or so. My mom had friends out west from there on a "little" price *piece of property, nice neighbors. The kind of place that looks like heaven compared to my current surrounding sh*t hole cities.

Last Edited:

Please report back for the rest of us! We should sticky this thread. Not even joking.

Sorry, Idaho is full :cool:

Seriously though, the amount of people that have moved here in the last two years, myself included, has really driven up the property values, freeway traffic, etc, etc.

I'm in Post Falls and it's been pretty wild watching this semi-rural area turn into a sprawling mess of cookie-cutter homes.

Anyway, I don't have any input on moving a safe. All of our firearms were packed in their own cases when we moved. But I do have to ask: where the hell are you going in Idaho that takes 8-10 hrs to get to? You'll be all the way through North Idaho and a third of the way through Montana by then!

Feel free to message me if you have any North Idaho questions 👍

Seriously though, the amount of people that have moved here in the last two years, myself included, has really driven up the property values, freeway traffic, etc, etc.

I'm in Post Falls and it's been pretty wild watching this semi-rural area turn into a sprawling mess of cookie-cutter homes.

Anyway, I don't have any input on moving a safe. All of our firearms were packed in their own cases when we moved. But I do have to ask: where the hell are you going in Idaho that takes 8-10 hrs to get to? You'll be all the way through North Idaho and a third of the way through Montana by then!

I may have questions. I figure uhauls go slow. And moving is always tricky and slower than I think.

And I am looking for something less crowded and we are wondering about the areas generally within 2 hours of Spokane or possibly we would end up in Boise. My wife does need semi frequent air flights for work.

Just curious because LWS has Delta and United to Sea-Tac, Salt Lake and Denver several times a day. local weather delays are virtually unheard of and are often cheaper than Spokane and very low-hassel/ easy in and out, and one hour (or less) before flight needed.
If you do need to get to Spokane/ CDL, Lewiston is just a 90 min drive on excellent road. Unlike much of Idaho we get almost no snow (often golfing year-round)

Last Edited:

1d5e286c-350f-4cb5-8de3-88491274befa.jpg
My kind of people!
Thanks for the offer I might actually take you up on that.

Just curious because LWS has Delta and United to Sea-Tac, Salt Lake and Denver several times a day. local weather delays are virtually unheard of and are often cheaper than Spokane and very low-hassel/ easy in and out, and one hour (or less) before flight needed.
If you do need to get to Spokane/ CDL, Lewiston is just a 90 min drive on excellent road. Unlike much of Idaho we get almost no snow (often golfing year-round)
Lewiston doesn't get as much snow as Pullman? I heard Pullman get a TON of snow sometimes. Very cold. My brother went to WSU.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top