Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Transporting AR15

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 0V3RC10CK3D, May 12, 2013.

1. 0V3RC10CK3D

0V3RC10CK3D Mill Creek, WA Active Member

Hello,
    Just curious on the legality of transporting an AR15 in one of those bulldog cases with the mag pouches, can i keep loaded magazines in those pouches with the rifle unloaded in the case? All of this in the trunk of my car.

Thanks.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

To start off here are the WA firearm laws, read them and know them, Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

The legalities of transporting an AR-15 is no different then transporting any other long gun. The only rule is they have to be unloaded.

Here are is how WA defines loaded, RCW 9.41.010: Terms defined.

(10) "Loaded" means:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;

(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;

(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;

(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or

(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

So you situation does NOT meet the definition of loaded so it would be legal.

3. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

Nwcid is right on. You are good to go as long as you keep it unloaded. That means no round chambered, and no loaded mag in the gun. Unfortunately, a CPL does nothing for transporting long guns.

4. 0V3RC10CK3D

0V3RC10CK3D Mill Creek, WA Active Member

Sounds Good. I wonder how many people leave a rifle and loaded mags in the trunk all the time in-case they happen to get an itch for some range time while out and about.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, you never know when a range may come into season and may need shootin' . ;)

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I dont know how many do it incase of a range session but I know a lot that do for many other reasons including defense and SHTF. As long as you are legally carrying you don't need an "excuse" to do so.......