JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I thought the consensus was a visitor could bring them in they they had brought them in prior....?
It is. What the video suggests is that it may not matter if the mags were in WA before for a visitor. And that's got to be wrong.

But that's because none is required. If it ever came up you say "I had this mag in WA back in 2019" and that should be the end of it. Actually, "I had this mag in WA before the ban" should be all you need to say.
Say nothing.

It is up to the state to prove that you did not have the mags in WA state at a time when it would be necessary for them to be grandfathered under the law.

I lived in WA state twice - once for about a year in the 70s, once for about 25 years from 1986 to 2011. I have been across the state lines into WA state several times since and there are records in WA state's FFL/BGC data to show that, not to mention several people on this forum who can testify to that fact.

It is. What the video suggests is that it may not matter if the mags were in WA before for a visitor. And that's got to be wrong.
Considering the intent of the law is to probibit sales and imports im thinking its a pretty weak argument to fall back on for a visitor...

Say nothing.
Well, if you're just in a traffic stop and you get asked about something in your back seat, it might grease the skids and get you on the road sooner to answer truthfully rather than take the 5th.

Up to you. I used to shoot IDPA with a bunch of cops, so happening to be around LE with a hi-cap mag doesn't seem like that much of an exotic event.

Considering the intent of the law is to probibit sales and imports im thinking its a pretty weak argument to fall back on for a visitor...
I would not take the advice of the video. I would stick with the phrasing of the law, which says people can have a history with their mags in WA.

Well, if you're just in a traffic stop and you get asked about something in your back seat, it might grease the skids and get you on the road sooner to answer truthfully rather than take the 5th.
If one were to store their mags/other "controversial" items out of view of LEO, well, then, all of that nonsense of having extended dealings with LE is obviated. Even here on the "red side" of WA, when I travel to/from the range, or even just driving around town, I don't leave anything in my vehicles in plain view that might attract the attention/curiosity of either LEOs or thieves. Just makes life simpler that way...

That's all one really needs to do to not get caught up in this BS law, is not to be stoopit and say shiit they shouldn't say or leave shiit lying around that they shouldn't leave lying around.

Last Edited:
SO this date of manufacture? I have never seen one of those on any magazine I own. I am damn sure theres not one on any of the boxes of STD issue 15rd M1 carbine mags I have. And if there was it would range from about 1941 to 1953 So if someone from WA state bought an M1 carbine magazine how would they know?
All my mags are clearly marked from the factory.

PXL_20220422_002042208.jpg

If one were to store their mags/other "controversial" items out of view of LEO, well, then, all of that nonsense of having extended dealings with LE is obviated. Even here on the "red side" of WA, when I travel to/from the range, or even just driving around town, I don't leave anything in my vehicles in plain view that might attract the attention/curiosity of either LEOs or thieves. Just makes life simpler that way...

That's all one really needs to do to not get caught up in this BS law, is not to be stoopit and say shiit they shouldn't say or leave shiit lying around that they shouldn't leave lying around.
Agree. It pays to keep a low profile and it only takes a little bit of prep to do so. I keep everything in regular bags both in the vehicle and when moving stuff to and from vehicle. Why raise hackles either with people who get scared at the sight of a gun or worst case a brand new Leo who yells "gun" or something. Actually had this happen when I was a kid. We were coming back from shooting and everything 100% legal and cop almost freaked "we got a barrel here!" After seeing a 10/22 in the back seat. Then everybody out, backup cops, and the third degree. All because they saw a barrel of an empty gun that was 100% legal. Now everything is stowed out of sight in nondescript/non firearms looking bags.

That's a pretty sad reaction from someone who should have known better.

I would not take the advice of the video. I would stick with the phrasing of the law, which says people can have a history with their mags in WA.
my position is only addressing the phrasing of the law, I still disagree that visitors can bring their into the state.

When I get a few minutes I might review the law again, I think I get where your getting the grandfathered status from Im just not convinced it applies to visitors yet but I can see why the laws grandfather phrasing is complicating the matter.

my position is only addressing the phrasing of the law, I still disagree that visitors can bring their into the state.

When I get a few minutes I might review the law again, I think I get where your getting the grandfathered status from Im just not convinced it applies to visitors yet but I can see why the laws grandfather phrasing is complicating the matter.
To apply variably the law would have to designate a difference between people.

Well, I gave two examples of how one might have a relatively innocent observation of your stuff by LE. My point was simply that it is better to have casual, confident answer than act like there's a big issue. Because it isn't a big issue.

Well, I gave two examples of how one might have a relatively innocent observation of your stuff by LE. My point was simply that it is better to have casual, confident answer than act like there's a big issue. Because it isn't a big issue.
And I gave an example of how one can avoid the innocent observation in the first place. I would much rather avoid any discussion about my stuff entirely, rather than have to answer any questions about it. And I agree, it ain't a big issue, and it shouldn't be, and I wouldn't act like it was. I guess I just prefer to travel about with a tighter rein on my stuff than most. Comes from LD backpacking, I reckon...

after yet another review of the law.
It does mention resident, in Section 15 it defines "lawful permanent resident".
The law clearly states it grandfathers in existing magazines.
The law clearly defines the prohibition of selling to the public and importing "large capacity" magazines.

The law doesn't on its own define "possession" but vaguely provides an import exemption only to those returning to the state. Heres the catch, no where in the law can I find it prohibits possession of any magazines.

The law defines resident per 8 U.S.C. Sec.30 1101(a)(20) as a US resident and does not mention state. So...., you guys are correct the grandfather clause applies to visitors of the state as well as state residents.

So here is my revised opinion on the law, is you guys are right you can visit Washington with a "large capacity" magazine but where your wrong you don't need to prove you had it in the state prior to June 1st
Now what I'm not clear about but it appears it does not prohibit visitors possessing mags manufactured after June 1st. as long as they are your personal mags for personal use and not for sale or distribution in the state.

So here is my revised opinion on the law, is you guys are right you can visit Washington with a "large capacity" magazine but where your wrong you don't need to prove you had it in the state prior to June 1st (actually, prior to July 1st, but I understand what you meant to say)
I am 100% certain that I never said one had to prove possession of the mags in WA state prior to the effective date of July 1. As a matter of fact, I have been consistently adamant that proof of possession prior to the effective date is not required. Any requirement for proof of possession of the mags was stripped from the bill prior to its passage into law.

That's part of what makes this law so stupid - the State has no way to prove that an individual did not have them prior to the effective date (unless the individual tells the State that he/she didn't, which would be pure idiocy to admit), and an individual does not have to prove that he/she did have them prior to the effective date. This law is totally and completely ludicrous on its face.
Now what I'm not clear about but it appears it does not prohibit visitors possessing mags manufactured after June 1st. (corrected to) July 1 as long as they are your personal mags for personal use and not for sale or distribution in the state.
I think you may have mistyped what you really wanted to say... The law, in fact, does prohibit visitors, as well as residents, from possessing mags manufactured after the effective date of July 1, 2022. Everybody (except those within the law's exceptions for LEOs, FFLs, etc.) is prohibited from possessing "high-cap" mags in WA state manufactured after the effective date. Think about it... if the mags are manufactured on or after July 1, 2022, then it's obvious that the mags never could have been in WA state prior to the effective date, which is one of the two requirements for them to be grandfathered (the other being possessed by the same individual that possessed them in WA state prior to the effective date). Since the mags never could have been possessed in WA state prior to July 1, then they are, by the law's definition, contraband magazines and anyone attempting to bring them into the state would be in violation of the law's rules against importation and distribution.

Last Edited:
So here is my revised opinion on the law, is you guys are right you can visit Washington with a "large capacity" magazine but where your wrong you don't need to prove you had it in the state prior to June 1st
I don't think any of us have said you need to prove you had it in the state prior to 7/1. But you do need to have actually been in the state with your mags if you are going to be law abiding.

Now what I'm not clear about but it appears it does not prohibit visitors possessing mags manufactured after June 1st. as long as they are your personal mags for personal use and not for sale or distribution in the state.
"Visitor" isn't a category in the mag law and resident doesn't pertain to the law. So I don't know how you could manufacture a different set of rules for visitors out of what's actually there. It says no moving or transporting mags into the state. I don't know how that could be ignored.

I don't think any of us have said you need to prove you had it in the state prior to 7/1. But you do need to have actually been in the state with your mags if you are going to be law abiding.
If there is a need to have been in the state with your mags then there is a need to prove it. If the state cant prove you havent, then there is no need to prove it. This part is not anywhere in the law, which is why I disagree with it. It makes no sense whatsoever....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top