JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Measure 114 requires that FFLs and other transforers, notify the "state" within 48hrs of a transfer being completed.

(c) The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless the dealer receives a unique approval number from the department and, within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify the state that the transfer to the permit holder was completed.

Who is the FFL suppose to contact at the "state"?

How is the FFL suppose to contact them?

For FFLs that allow the seller to keep the firearm during the background check wait, how is the FFL suppose to know when the firearm was handed over to buyer?

Last Edited:
It's my understanding that the ffl should be taking possession of the gun from the seller, loging it into their a&d book, storing it until the buyer passes everything then the ffl releases it to the buyer.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's my understanding that the ffl should be taking possession of the gun from the seller, loging it into their a&d book, storing it until the buyer passes everything then the ffl releases it to the buyer.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
That is the way it has worked at every FFL I have been too but I heard from other members that some shops allow seller to keep the firearm while the buyer's background check is being done.

Maybe at joe-bobs kitchen table ffl where everyone is hunting buddies, but I don't think that atf would approve if they found out. If the gun turns out to be stolen from 20 years ago , osp will want to take possession of the gun and they will expect it to be with the ffl. An ffl in corvallis had an issue where he released a gun early because it was the kids birthday , osp denied the transfer( well known customer) and the ffl had to get the gun back. It did not end well for the ffl. Unless there's some administrative rule allowing it, I would hold onto the gun. If I were the ffl.

Wow! How could an FFL be so stupid as to enter a firearm into his bound book and not have possession of said gun?

Idiots like these just play into the hands of the antis.

Wow! How could an FFL be so stupid as to enter a firearm into his bound book and not have possession of said gun?

Idiots like these just play into the hands of the antis.
Most people can just walk away and talk about not obeying unjust laws, but if you happen to be licensed by both the state and federal governments, the ramifications are much more severe. Everyone is frustrated and justifiably angry about this BS.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The law is written the FFL puts it in his books when then transfer is approved. That implies the FFL would not need to have possession. If he held on to it he would have to put it in his books when receiving it. So a FFL can either hold onto it or the seller can. Most FFL's chose a policy to do it one way or the other.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top