JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
depending on action (if you are talking about an AR, FAL or G3) your failure to feed issues are most likely mag spring related. Either there are burrs inside the mag body, the inside of the mag body is not lubricated, or the spring is weak. The bolt is moving faster than the spring is/can. What family of long gun are we talking about?
47s Its the mag well that's the issue. Tapco mags work but standard steel just don't fit good. The same steel mags work great, just not in this wasr. Like I said this is part of my training, I'm get fast at clearing malfunctions.:D

So, you are talking about a Centry Arms WASR AK 47 clone then?

A major consideration in purchasing a Military style long gun is that magazine interchangeability will not be a factor. If it were me, I would have a gun smith fix the failure to settle the magazine issue (there are far more military AK mags on the planet then TAPCO AK mags), then go back to training.

Training for malfunctions, might be more effective if you train with a buddy, and have him/her load your mags with the occasional non-firing training round, either one of your creating or something like an A-ZOOM snap cap. AK firing pins can be fragile, so if you are making your own snap-cap, I'd advise adding a piece of a pencil eraser to the primer pocket.

Training for combat is alot like training for competition shooting. If you want to win (stay alive), you check your gear BEFORE the fight, not during. I have alot of magazines, most fit perfectly, some have their quirks, but they all fit and are fit for fighting, I check them before hand. I check ALL my ammo before hand. The only things you don't check before hand are things you pick up during the fight, or immediately after. If you pick them up after, you check them when time allows.

Most military arms have "...immediate action drills..." for them published, both the AK and AR do. What are the most common malfunctions and how to clear them in the least amount of time to get back in the fight. You may want to check those out, or take a look at Haley Strategic for AK manual of arms, or Joe Nobody for AR manual of arms.

Remember to "...train like you fight...", range days, should be rain days, early morning or early evening. Bright sunny days are not training days, they are goofing off. Train with your body armor on (shouldering your rifle is completely different), train with a helmet (a bump helmet will do), getting a quick sight picture with three pounds of moving stuff strapped to your head is an acquired skill. Transition from your optic (geardo) to your back up iron sights in training. Better yet, dump all optics and just use your iron sights. Once you can hit anything out to 200 yards, ask yourself what the optics are for? Train with one hand out of the fight. Change mags with your wear arm taped to your belt, pistol and long gun. Train weak hand only (stop training strong arm all together), pistol and rifle. Train with your rifle sling. Have your buddy load your mags with a snap-cap, and when is does NOT go bang, transition to your pistol and be confident when you do it. Suppress the target, reload the pistol, clear the malfunction in your rifle, then re-engage and suppress the target with your rifle.

Lather, rinse, repeat. YMMV.

So, you are talking about a Centry Arms WASR AK 47 clone then?

A major consideration in purchasing a Military style long gun is that magazine interchangeability will not be a factor. If it were me, I would have a gun smith fix the failure to settle the magazine issue (there are far more military AK mags on the planet then TAPCO AK mags), then go back to training.

Training for malfunctions, might be more effective if you train with a buddy, and have him/her load your mags with the occasional non-firing training round, either one of your creating or something like an A-ZOOM snap cap. AK firing pins can be fragile, so if you are making your own snap-cap, I'd advise adding a piece of a pencil eraser to the primer pocket.

Training for combat is alot like training for competition shooting. If you want to win (stay alive), you check your gear BEFORE the fight, not during. I have alot of magazines, most fit perfectly, some have their quirks, but they all fit and are fit for fighting, I check them before hand. I check ALL my ammo before hand. The only things you don't check before hand are things you pick up during the fight, or immediately after. If you pick them up after, you check them when time allows.

Most military arms have "...immediate action drills..." for them published, both the AK and AR do. What are the most common malfunctions and how to clear them in the least amount of time to get back in the fight. You may want to check those out, or take a look at Haley Strategic for AK manual of arms, or Joe Nobody for AR manual of arms.

Remember to "...train like you fight...", range days, should be rain days, early morning or early evening. Bright sunny days are not training days, they are goofing off. Train with your body armor on (shouldering your rifle is completely different), train with a helmet (a bump helmet will do), getting a quick sight picture with three pounds of moving stuff strapped to your head is an acquired skill. Transition from your optic (geardo) to your back up iron sights in training. Better yet, dump all optics and just use your iron sights. Once you can hit anything out to 200 yards, ask yourself what the optics are for? Train with one hand out of the fight. Change mags with your wear arm taped to your belt, pistol and long gun. Train weak hand only (stop training strong arm all together), pistol and rifle. Train with your rifle sling. Have your buddy load your mags with a snap-cap, and when is does NOT go bang, transition to your pistol and be confident when you do it. Suppress the target, reload the pistol, clear the malfunction in your rifle, then re-engage and suppress the target with your rifle.

Lather, rinse, repeat. YMMV.
I like your thoughts, 99% I already do. As for fixing the wasr, I don't feel its a combat SHTF weapon. I use it for training with the platform. Yes I know they can be good but if SHTF I will grab a milled. I try to train for the worst case, rain, snow, cold, hot and picking up a POS off the ground. Someday I will sit down and fix the wasr, I have all ready polished the bolt, bolt carrier, oprod, rails, and G2 trigger. It's all good even the sights are on, it's just down to the mag settle. I'm taking advantage of this for now, snapcaps are great but real malfunction are even more unpredictable.

Miyamoto, did you shoot this week? if so,anything to report on ammo. The wifey and I went out shooting this weekend. The good news is we graduated from hitting the broad side of the barn, to the you suck group. That's at least some progress. Lol. Actually we had some bulls ears catnip. It actually went very well.

Miyamoto, did you shoot this week? if so,anything to report on ammo. The wifey and I went out shooting this weekend. The good news is we graduated from hitting the broad side of the barn, to the you suck group. That's at least some progress. Lol. Actually we had some bulls ears catnip. It actually went very well.
Good for you and your wife, Hit them bulls ears! I did indeed go out, have to say didn't go well. It was so bad that ground crawling zombie sloths would have eating me alive. No matter what I did, just could not mag change to save my life. I'm not joking they would have got me. Accuracy was not bad if and when I could get that second mag in. Thankfully there were only four zombie sloth targets to shoot and not 11 (as my mag cap is ten). It's always an eye opener to have days like that. Reminds me that I'm no john wayne or super hero. After a hour I just tried to push through, figured it was the best training day in a while.

You make some good points, I will apply these extras to my "good ammo". As for my training ammo I wish I could get more malfunctions out of it. I think it's a good thing to train with malfunctions. I have a long gun that hates steel mags, pretty much sure to get a failure to feed. I always put these mags in the mix when training. I have never had a weapon (knife, firearm or stick) that didn't fail. Things break, best to train for it.

You can use snap-caps for that. Watch what the weapon does as it fails to fire and practice slide work. Not quite as good as a real failure but it is helpful. Oh yeah, load your mag under a cloth so the S-C is a surprise. Your cheatin' if you peek!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top