Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Training Ammo

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Miyamoto Musashi, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Central Oregon "Do nothing which is of no use"

Ammo Manufacturer - Military Ballistics Industries
    Bullets -.40 S&W 180 grain full metal jacket (FMJ)
    Ammo Casings - Boxer primed once-fired brass
    I'm about 200rounds in to the case. So far one ftf, only other thing is accuracy. It's been great for testing my skills but not the guns ( accuracy). For those that care hope it helps, I'll post again at the 500round mark if anybody wants.

.32cents per round

2. forefathersrback

forefathersrback Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Keep us posted.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Got about another 150 rounds down range. Had one round ftf, primer didn’t have a mark. Tried it again in deferent piece, it fired but stove piped. After further inspection case was split.
    Training with this ammo has made me pay way closer attention to the feel of the gun. Biggest worry is getting got by a squlb. I usually use higher end stuff but I like these, they force me to pay attention to all the details.

forefathersrback likes this.
  4. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

Nothing like filling a clip with reloads, that you did your self and the bullet falls out of the cartridge. Yup, it can happen. Than the tedious checking all reloads you have done, turns out that it was only one that did not crimp.

forefathersrback likes this.
  5. forefathersrback

I realize your almost half way through your case, keep us up to date. I've been looking for some practice ammo to use. Thanks.

6. forefathersrback

Sometimes.

7. Miyamoto Musashi

been thinking about reloading pistol, I do rifle just not set up for pistol yet.

8. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Freedom Munitions has .40 on hand once in awhile. Just need to keep checking. Price is probably closer to 28 cents per round for reman. I, and others in this area, have shot thousands of rounds this ammo in 9mm without problems. I don't work for them or anything like that, it's just that I've really had good luck with FM. They're relatively local to the NW since they're in Idaho. http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-2

9. Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for the tip! I got maybe three to four weekends to go with this lot, I'll keep an eye on FM and order. Hopefully they sell a shock collar for my trigger finger, it keeps pushing my shots to the left.LOL

10. PiratePast40

Believe it or not, my M&P pro did that for quite awhile. Doesn't do it much any more. Maybe the gun is getting used to me!:)

11. Miyamoto Musashi

Got some more down range this weekend, not a problem one with the ammo.
    I have a issue of shooting upwards of 5" left at ten yards on a quick draw & shoot. Funny I get good groups just left of bulls eye. On a slow cadence I'm right on. What has worked for you guys that have had this same deal going on.

12. PiratePast40

See if this helps any:
    Pistol-shooting-chart.jpg

13. Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks, I'm thinking too little trigger finger is me. I'm running a beretta 96, its got a long travel in double action. I can see now as I thumb the safety up my trigger finger is not right. Now I can't wait to apply this fix!
    Thanks again.

Sgt Nambu and forefathersrback like this.
  14. PiratePast40

My experience has been that I'm probably the culprit in most inaccuracy issues. I try to shoot from a stable rest and really concentrate on smooth trigger pull before making a final decision to change the sights or blame the ammo. Having someone else shoot the gun is also an option so you can get their opinion. Assuming of course, that they have a skill level above yours.

That doesn't mean that some ammo isn't more accurate than others. My M&P seems to be more accurate with 124g HP and 147g FMJ, than with 115g ammo. And my comment about the gun shooting low and left until it got broken in, was a reference to my own skill level, and not the guns accuracy.:)

15. forefathersrback

Pirate, thanks, I found the chart very helpful.

16. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

This ones a good training aid also

image.jpg

17. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

What matters in any confrontation is reliability. Regardless of where the ammo comes from (manufacturer) you KNOW where it is going, into your gun. It sounds like you are shooting a S&W M&P in .40. Fine weapon, but, all magazune fed handguns need to do two things reliably: (1.) headspace on the crimp; (2.) feed from the magazine,. Rega
    If
    Regardless of where the ammo comes from, get yourself a Dillon on Wilson case gauge and check that each round enters and reliably falls free from the gauge. That the OAL is correct. Then check that the crimp the manufacturer put on the rounds works in your chamber, or better yet, run each round thru your Golden taper crimp setup.
    takes more time, but you will like the results in training and combat much better.
    Lead reloads often have wax on the outside on the case that can impede movement from the magazine to the chamber and negatively effect chambering at all.Run these thru your tumbler before using, then thru your case gauge.

18. Miyamoto Musashi

I should make a target out of this LOL.

19. Miyamoto Musashi

You make some good points, I will apply these extras to my "good ammo". As for my training ammo I wish I could get more malfunctions out of it. I think it's a good thing to train with malfunctions. I have a long gun that hates steel mags, pretty much sure to get a failure to feed. I always put these mags in the mix when training. I have never had a weapon (knife, firearm or stick) that didn't fail. Things break, best to train for it.

20. 7SFCW4

7SFCW4 Out and About, Oregon Active Member

depending on action (if you are talking about an AR, FAL or G3) your failure to feed issues are most likely mag spring related. Either there are burrs inside the mag body, the inside of the mag body is not lubricated, or the spring is weak. The bolt is moving faster than the spring is/can. What family of long gun are we talking about?