JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son lives in North Carolina and is in town on business. He had most of today free so we went to the range. We used to shoot a lot when he was growing up, but it's been many years since we have had the opportunity to shoot together. I took a dozen or more handguns and a 9mm AR, everything from a Sig 232 to a Glock 40 and some 1911's. His three favorite guns were all CZ's. My TSO, CZ85, and the P01. He said the TSO was the finest handgun he had ever shot. He was shooting steel and after the first half a dozen rounds, he turned and gave me a big smile. He is a grown man now with two kids in college, but it was like it was 30 odd years ago, except the guns are nicer. Life is the pursuit of a few fond memories.

My son lives in North Carolina and is in town on business. He had most of today free so we went to the range. We used to shoot a lot when he was growing up, but it's been many years since we have had the opportunity to shoot together. I took a dozen or more handguns and a 9mm AR, everything from a Sig 232 to a Glock 40 and some 1911's. His three favorite guns were all CZ's. My TSO, CZ85, and the P01. He said the TSO was the finest handgun he had ever shot. He was shooting steel and after the first half a dozen rounds, he turned and gave me a big smile. He is a grown man now with two kids in college, but it was like it was 30 odd years ago, except the guns are nicer. Life is the pursuit of a few fond memories.

"Except the guns are nicer"? What's up with that?! Those were the good 'ol days and the good 'ol guns!

Good on you guys. Love shootin' with my adult son! Pisses me off that he's better than me (by a lot!). Got his son (my grandson) a .22 single shot last year for Christmas/birthday. He had just turned 6! That's when I got my son, his. Okay, he was actually 5 and to this day we call it, "The Divorce Gun"! His wife's cool and really dug it!

Another sweet post about shooting and making new memories!

Thank you for this thread.

Cate

Kalashnikov02.jpg
BUT, But, but.......why no AK?

Aloha, Mark

I know what you mean. My nephew is returning from deployment in August and he is already asking if I I'll take him shooting when he gets back. The answer is always yes of course. That's what I call quality time.

Took one of my sons and his uncle (my brother in law) a couple weeks ago. Not an actual range, just our local "sand pit" . I think I'm heading back today.
But fishing seems like a good option too.

My son has been out of the house for less than a year but he knows we can get out shooting anytime he wants to with me. He showed up on saturday and ate a bunch of groceries ( more than double what I put down):eek:, then spent the night with local friends. Sunday I had a long list of stuff to get done while the sun was out, and he asked what I needed him to do. WHAT???? o_O He cleaned the gutters, edged the yard, swept up the mess, tinkered on his car, tinkered on moms car, and loaded almost all the shooting stuff in the truck. All of this while I spent 5+ hours on the mower. :cool: We had a movie night and he magically made more groceries disappear. :eek: Sunday we hit our local shooting place and sighted in 2 rifles with new glass, then burned up a bunch of 9mm, 38, 357, 44, and 223 just playing around until the rain started. The grass was a bit tall for shooting much steel on the ground, otherwise we would have kept at it longer. When we got home he emptied the truck, made more groceries disappear,:eek: then packed his stuff and headed out. I think he has begun to realize that the old mans Dillon and the volume it puts out, is worth coming over and helping out a bit. Must be growing up a bit. :) Now if I could only sway him a bit more towards the revolvers and bolts, instead of the plastic bottom feeders. :D

IMG-0578.jpg

Same kid just 12 years ago trying out a 44 for the first time.

P7250328.jpg

Last Edited:
My son is also getting older and wiser. He has been recently asking about classic handguns made of steel....rather than plastic ones. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Well, they don't come much further from North West than me, and I've been here since - gulp - 2008!!! Can it really be that long? How time flies etc.

1590702622357.png

From here -

1590702818613.png

To here -

1590702910953.png

...is 4878 miles, 698 yards, 2 feet, 3 7/8th inches.

More or less.

Hay, let's say 4 inches and call it quits.

PS, did ya notice the little 'horsey' thing I did there?

Last Edited:
Loving these stories. I am on the flip side and am the son to such father growing up. He would take me out fishing and was a quiet one. We were very emotional or showed much affection, but in recent years he has come around and we find time to go do things together. It truly is a blessing that relationship :) happy Thursday all!

I never got taken to a range by my dad, but I did get taken to a beach. He sat me down, sat behind me, and put one of his Colt M1911s in my hands and held them tight while I squoze off seven shots into the oncoming waves.

You may or may not be impressed by the fact that every shot was a solid hit.

I had turned six years old three months prior to that event.

I'm now seventy-four.

I was completely hooked, right there and then, and have never stopped shooting except for the times I worked in Japan - no guns = no shooting.

Sorry if this gets too serious but I am gonna add my two cents to this thread. I lost my oldest boy, my pride and joy, my hunting partner and my shooting buddy a few months back. He was 17. I'd give anything for one more day shooting at Wolf Creek or walking out in the woods with him. You guys are beyond blessed to be able to make memories with your kids. Never take those trips to the range for granted. Keep it up and do it as often as possible. Don't let life, work, mowing the grass etc get in the way of taking them shooting. You'll never regret the times you spend with them and I pray that none have to regret the time they didn't spend.

That's why we are are here - to share the good, the bad and the simply too awful. Here I am, almost 5000 miles away from you, and I'm sharing your loss. We lost our son, too, although he was only a baby. All that life ahead he had just never happened at all.

We know how you feel.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews