JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, Imna have a cupcake today in your honor. It's the little things in life.
Happy Birthday.

I too shall raise a cupcake in toast to you, mon Capitan, on this the anniversary of your arrival. Be of good cheer, my internet companion, for our virtual roundtable is the better for your presence.

Having some small experience with an absent parent so many moons ago, I can tell you as the child I was and the man that I became, that it is an awesome and wonderful thing to know that the person who helped bring you in to this world cares enough to want to know you.

You know what, make that a brace of cupcakes, blood sugar be damned. La breithe shona duit.

Sometimes I feel that death can't come fast enough.

My two girls are somewhere. Where? I have no idea. I lost track of them 20+ years ago. My youngest daughter was okay (20+ years ago). I never knew my youngest. Sadly, she was criminally inclined (or so I was informed). I have never laid eyes on her. Next year she'll be 28 years old.

There's no way to reach them. I just hope that the eldest is happy and that the youngest isn't in prison somewhere. I really haven't been in their lives at all. It is far too late to seek them out, and I haven't the finances to do so, if I desired to do so.

I have spent the past five years of my life alone (about 90 percent of the time). I am, once again, becoming accustomed to it. I am slowly readjusting.

"Down to Gehenna, to the steps up to the throne. The man that walks the swiftest, is the one that walks alone." - Rudyard Kipling
Wisdom from a child-BTW Happy Birthday!!

Thanks for the suggestion, but in this instance, I think that I will "let sleeping dogs lie". Had they wanted to find me, they would have done so by now.

Why should I interrupt their lives?

Hearing your story just makes me sad. With regard to your daughters, I wouldn't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that they would have found you by now. I've known a number of folks that never knew one or both of their parents for a variety of reasons. In only one case were they not interested in connecting with that parent - and in that case, he knew the parent had long been in jail for a very serious charge. The others spent years trying to track parents down and usually ended up reconnecting, but again, it can take a long time, especially if you don't have a lot of resources to do it. One took well over a decade to finally track his parents down, a decision he had avoided much of his life, but ultimately felt he wanted to do it. His only regret, once he found them, was that he hadn't started looking sooner.

Speaking strictly for myself, if I knew I had a kid or kids out there, regardless of what I might think they are doing right now, I would want to make the attempt, at least to close the loop on this. But I know that's not for everyone.

I wish you a Happy Birthday and hope you find some peace in the coming years.

My wife just passed 10/19/16 and it sucks.
Sucks bad. Sucks beyond words.
But I choose to live.
My son is all that's left of our family.
Get out and find your kids.
Let them decide if they want their dad.
And yes the it does suck being alone is this holiday season.
But live.
Happy birthday

Well, I waited for 20 posts because I couldn't find anything to say!

I'm so sorry for your predicament, but I'm not shoving advice at you. Because I have nothing useful. So,

"Happy Birthday!" Blessings be upon you! :)

My wife just passed 10/19/16 and it sucks.
Sucks bad. Sucks beyond words.
But I choose to live.
My son is all that's left of our family.
Get out and find your kids.
Let them decide if they want their dad.
And yes the it does suck being alone is this holiday season.
But live.
Happy birthday

So sorry to hear that. My condolences.

Happy Birthday Cap.
BTW...You only have a few years on me. I was in a similar place that you are in now, about 15 years ago. What I was doing was just living life day by day, only getting involved in things that were in my established "life style". I had turned into a virtual Clint Eastwood "Get Off My Lawn" type (although I had a '72 Charger, not a Gran Torino). Life had turned into a daily chore, not an opportunity. Frankly, I didn't give a sheete for sheyat.

Then a friend suggested that I find something that was totally outside of that "comfort zone" of mine. We all have to define what that might be for ourselves, but my version involved getting out of "Dodge City" and an extended period in a different place with lots of beaches and coconut trees. That opened the door for me, with a whole new outlook on life better than I could have hoped for.

Last Edited:
Gentlemen; I wish both of you the best and brightest coming new year. My condolences on both of your losses. I don't know if there is really anything anyone can say that will ease the pain... I suspect that time is the only thing that will heal these types of wounds.

Happy Birthday Captain. You obviously have a lot of folks here that care!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top