JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
do any of you guys have any hawks? I am thinking of getting a cold steel pipe hawk. any one have one of those or other cold steel hawks? I would like to use it for a B.O.B. what do you think of tomahawks? any pictures? thank you for your time

I have a couple of those M48 Tomahawks. Sadly, ended up using one for gardening work LOL. I don't have 'skills' with one, but I am sure someone who did know how to master one would be a bad mofo.

I own the larger sog one, a gift from my father, looks cool, guess they throw well, but I can't see it being like a pocket knife in functionality, really more cool an item then an EDC

I have several of the Cold Steel rifleman's hawks, the hammer head back is a lot better idea than a pipe. They toss very nicely, I like to use a big disc off the base of a red cedar for a target. Even my gal can do it if I set her up at the right range

As far a a BOB I prefer the Ontario cutlass style machete. Better weapon and better all around bug out tool. I have built one around the plastic sheath into a mini bug out unit of it's own..

I have a couple real tomahawks made with forged folded steel blades with insert cutting edges made by forge welding. With a good hickory handle. I've used them in dozens of Mountian man throwing competitions and as camping tools. Dixie Gun works or Track of the Wolf on line or the Powder Room in Springfield would be good sources for a real Tomahawk.

Excellent tool.

I have a few traditional tomahawks and I can throw them, along with most any hand axe, pretty well. It is not that hard to get the hang of it. At the time of the French and Indian War, the heavier and more practical belt axe (more so than the tomahawk) was used as a secondary weapon to the flintlock. A formidable weapon with a host of everyday practical uses indispensible to those who spent weeks and weeks in the woods and who routinely journeyed hundreds of miles with little more than a sack of parched corn and a blanket. Does that count as "bugging out"?

The more modern combat style hawks you refer to I am less familiar with. I do know that Blade magazine did a pretty good review of various brands of these style hawks a couple years ago. You might find it online by now.

While it's not something I plan on using often, I was just looking at different hawks online that I might add to the ol' BOB. Does anybody have any feedback on the SOG fast hawk? It looks like a fairly inexpensive tool that may just come in handy when the zombies come........ :)

the pipe hawk has a hammer head back that just looks like a pipe.

Why you are correct, it does. It is one of the few Cold steel items I have never handled. It is very close in design to the CS Rifleman's hawks I have

One really nice thing about traditional hawk designs like these is if the shaft breaks you can fashion a new one with a knife and/or the 'hawk head

Pics? Ok group hug.
IMG_20120405_131952.jpg
Don't remember who made the lil ax, got it off the Cornwell truck years ago. It has a small knife in the handle as well that has been handy.
The M48 I just got off the Cornwell guy a couple of weeks ago.
Feels balanced, haven't tossed it yet but another guy at the shop said his throws nice.
Even came with a cheap compass in the shieth. I suppose you could hang it from the mirror and just tell the cop that it's a navigational device.

I bought a Cold Steel Norse Hawk to try a little throwing. Now I'm hooked and can even stick plain old hatchets :) I've learned that when you're going to throw them, there's a lot of walking involved when you have only one.

I have a couple Cold Steel Trail Hawks - stripped both heads, matte finished one, rust blued the other. Charred one poll black and oiled (for about 4 days). Have masks and belt holders, use them all the time! If you're a hawk fan, and have some time (make a sandwich and get a large drink ready before clicking) check out THIS thread...

For years I've had a couple of those traditional hawks that Atlanta Cutlery sold - probably still do. They're fun to throw. Sometimes you tear up handles, so it's good to have spares.

I don't see the tomahawk as ever being quite as handy as a good hand axe, but they do combine a useful chopping tool with a weapon with a fun toy. :cool:

In every movie like Madmax, end of society film - and art imitates life - people eventually all run out of ammo so maybe knowing how to use a bow/arrow, crossbow, Tomahawk etc wouldn't be a bad idea.

On a funny note, I called a place in Tigard once about a lesson on how to shoot a compound bow or crossbow and they said a class was just starting, come on by. There were about ten 6 or 7 year olds LOL!! No thanks.

In every movie like Madmax, end of society film - and art imitates life - people eventually all run out of ammo so maybe knowing how to use a bow/arrow, crossbow, Tomahawk etc wouldn't be a bad idea.

On a funny note, I called a place in Tigard once about a lesson on how to shoot a compound bow or crossbow and they said a class was just starting, come on by. There were about ten 6 or 7 year olds LOL!! No thanks.
Well a lot of kids that young get into archery... sadly I've seen a lot of younger girls and boys getting into it after reading hunger games

I use to shoot a lot. When I was younger think around 6yo? We use to shoot at a huge target in my cousins backyard, but they bow hunt still, and I got into guns, and knives.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top