JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Washington County just posted up the following:
- Armed Robbery
- Target Pharmacy on Evergreen Pkwy
- Suspect had note saying he had a gun, no gun displayed
- Store is evacuated

Now, I've had my CC license for awhile - but I've never felt particularly compelled to carry. After all, this is a very low crime neighborhood. But, this is my Target. Hell, my wife and I are there so much the Starbucks workers know my daughter and have seen her grow up from a 6lb blanket-wrapped bundle to a walking, talking human being.

This incident has me rethinking things a bit. So, I'm curious...if you carry a gun, what was the reason that led up to your decision? Was it a gradual realization or a single event that forced the conclusion into sharp relief?

Years ago I was riding dirt bikes in the woods and didn't want to open carry so thought something in my pocket would be more secure. Now days I carry because I can. 'Merica!

The reason I carry..... If you plan on killing/hurting my loved ones or I, I will do my best to kill (neutralize the threat) you first. And if I fail I will go down fighting for those I love. I plan for the unknown. There hasn't been one specific instance for me to push me to this point except for seeing what the human race is capable of doing to each other ther.

For me it's been a gradual progression to religiously carrying daily. For years I only carried when I headed into town, or was on a trip. Now I don't leave the house without, and for that matter 90% of my time at home I'm carrying. I think the events of the last year really brought me to this point. Wildfires, looters and arsonists, riots and protests...

The main reason I got mine when living in NV was to bypass the BGC. File a 4473, pay, leave. That and Scheels, who I worked for part time, offered the class to its employees and significant others for free.

In OR, while employed at Sportsmans Warehouse, the class was also free to employees.

Im no model CCW person...

The main reason I got mine when living in NV was to bypass the BGC. File a 4473, pay, leave. That and Scheels, who I worked for part time, offered the class to its employees and significant others for free.

In OR, while employed at Sportsmans Warehouse, the class was also free to employees.

Im no model CCW person...
Reno, were you allowed to carry at these places of employment?

have seen a few unrelated stories about the ggwg being misidentified by various LEO responders; don't know what to make of ~that~ particular bit of data

Washington County just posted up the following:
- Armed Robbery
- Target Pharmacy on Evergreen Pkwy
- Suspect had note saying he had a gun, no gun displayed
- Store is evacuated

Now, I've had my CC license for awhile - but I've never felt particularly compelled to carry. After all, this is a very low crime neighborhood. But, this is my Target. Hell, my wife and I are there so much the Starbucks workers know my daughter and have seen her grow up from a 6lb blanket-wrapped bundle to a walking, talking human being.

This incident has me rethinking things a bit. So, I'm curious...if you carry a gun, what was the reason that led up to your decision? Was it a gradual realization or a single event that forced the conclusion into sharp relief?

I spent the prime of my young adulthood back in the 80's deterring communist terrorism and communist aggression in foreign lands (and look how well THAT turned out….), and quickly appreciated the value of having a firearm on my person whenever and wherever possible.

Your neighborhoods, your property, your schools are "safe"…. until they're not.

"Safety" is an illusionary perception by the human mind, also known as cognitive dissonance.

My sister has been a pharmacist for 23 years, she does the graveyard shift at a local 24 hour pharmacy. She has been robbed, gun pointed at her face , from what I recall, more than 60 times.

The people who go in robbing pharmacies are addicts and down and out. The crazy part, she just stone colds tells them no, then stands to the side and let them try and get what they can.

Side note, controlled substances are locked in a freaking robot that only dispenses with a valid prescription and takes three people with codes and keys to open, whom normally do not work together until there is a delivery to fill it back up.

She has nerves of steel though and has been confident in her demeanor for as long as I have been alive, she has been through and survived labor and refugee camps, seen people murdered and witnessed people commit suicide when she was 9-11 years old, due to conflicts in Cambodia during the late 70s.

For me, I have carried since I got my card. I only drew it once, on cats in a bushes in front of my house at 11pm. There was never an event. But from history, you should always carry, when you can, you just never know.

On the bright side, heart disease kills the most people, and you can't shoot that.

A few years ago my wife backed down from her 'no guns in the house' position - our daughter had graduated and we became empty nesters.

I turned 55 last week. I am not a trained fighter in the first place.

I am unable to provide the level of protection I desire for those I love with just my fists, if I ever really could.

I am too old too fight or take a beating. So I took my class, spent over a year getting familiar with my gun and gear, and I have been EDC'ing every day since.

The fact that the world is going to hell in a handbasket is just a coincidence.

Last Edited:
I have always carried, wherever I could, when I came back from the Stan in 2012, I found Seattle was turning into a open sewer, and that I felt very unsafe in a sorta being in a combat zone way, I was getting to old to rumble or even defend myself with a edged weapon, so I got my CCL, I took several classes ( mostly by retired LEO'S), and spent a ton of time at the range. I carry for only one reason and that is to have the ability to kill the person (s) that are attacking me or a loved one.( sad to say in to days environment im not sure i would help out a stranger).You need to ask yourself, are you OK in taking a life, it is a huge responsibility to carry. and that is the only reason to carry, I was taught that, if the situation warrants you to pull your sidearm, if you feel your life is threatened, you start pulling the trigger right away. Watch the vid of the older fellow in Portland, and never get out of your truck or car. FYI I carry a FNS-9C, with 3 12 round mags and one 26 round mag, I carry in the front right appendix. The ammo is Buffalo Bore 147 grain hard cast bear load +P+..rated at 1100 fps. Make sure you practice dry firing a lot, get some snap caps, and stand in the mirror pulling your weapon to acquire a sight picture, do that 100 times a day for 4 weeks , most ranges do not allow drawing from your holster. I was taught that to remember things happen on the STREET 100X times faster then you could ever think is possible. Watch the Kyle Rittenhouse vid, that is a good example of how fast things turn from bubblegum into a total bubblegumstorm in 2/3 seconds, you will not have to chamber a round, you will not have time to say hey get back you will not have time to load a mag you will not have time to try and figure a way out for you or your loved one.Also remember you are not dealing with normal citizens who will follow the letter of a law, you point your sidearm at them they will tell you F U and still come at you...OK stay safe go to the range and practice....

IMG_1103.JPG

A few years ago my wife backed down from her 'no guns in the house' position' - our daughter had graduated and we became empty nesters.

I turned 55 last week. I am not a trained fighter in the first place.

I am unable to provide the level of protection I desire for those I love with just my fists, if I ever really could.

I am too old too fight or take a beating. So I took my class, spent over a year getting familiar with my gun and gear, and I have been EDC'ing every day since.

The fact that the world is going to hell in a handbasket is just a coincidence.

I'm in my 40's and in good shape. I work out regularly and can hold my own.

I still carry every day. I'm not about to trade fists with someone who is trying to cause harm to me or my family.

If someone truly believes they have the luxury of picking and choosing when and where to carry, then that feller is not yet serious about carrying.

If someone truly believes they have the luxury of picking and choosing when and where to carry, then that feller is not yet serious about carrying.
I'll have to disagree on that. Risk assessment is a thing.

Yet here I sit in my home office, strapped ....

Different people have different risk thresholds.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top