JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could flat out care less what people think let alone what sheeple think. They can assume whatever they want and while they are at it they can kiss my....!

The reason I think open carry is stupid is the fact it leaves you at a tactical disadvantage. The delusion that an evil doing will magically reconsider his evil deeds by the sight of an armed citizen is just plain silly. IMO opinion you may as well wear a sign that says "Shoot me in the head first". Open carry is the equivalent to playing poker with your cards face up on the table. Why would you want to show your hand in either case?

Does that mean I think it should be illegal? Absolutely not. It is not a question of legality but rather that of sound tactics.

There are many reasons to OC, and I do not think your "sound tactics" holds water as an argument against OC.

I first OC'd in Sedro Woolley in 1970 after a discussion with one of the contestents in the cowboy quick draw compitition they held during the Logger Rodeo. I went all through town, in stores that were open, even the bank. Not one word. There were several hundred people OC at that event, and even if my pistol was not a SAA Colt, no-one questioned it.

I OC for three reasons. One, I don't want to be a victim, and two: I firmly believe, by OC the chances of being assaulted decrease considerably. Thugs do not like targets that can defend themselves.

The third reason is: I generally carry arms that are very difficult to conceal...I like my big Colt double action revolver with it's 6" barrel. Do I have other pistols? Yes, do I have a concealable holster for them? Yes, but I also have OC holsters for the smaller weapons like my CZ's. Have I ever carried concealed, yes, I have a CPL, but I just prefer to OC.

In the years since 1970, when I first OC'd I have been accosted one time, and when the person saw the Colt, he decided he had better things to do. The gun never left it's holster even though this guy had already jerked the door to my car open...

If just seeing that I was armed was enough to stop this guy, it will probably stop others like him. I would say I should never have to worry about being charges with an improper "display" of my weapon, you think? No, I am not one that really would like to use my weapon on another human. I got my fill of that in Vietnam...Tet '68

Edited to add: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...ns/119752-news-guy-get-robbed-gun-stolen.html

Just becasue your weapon is concealed does not make you immune to having your weapon stolen at gun point.

So tell me, how is OC going to save you from being a victim against some dirtbag that spies your firearm, nonchalantly cracks you in the head as you walk by, snags your weapon and pistol whips you while you're down? Now CC is not going to stop someone from doing the initial violence, but the a surprise double tap from the fetal position can halt it.

First, I'd be changing neighborhoods I chose to walk through. Second, if forced to go there, I'd definitely have my "situational awareness" radar going at max sensitivity.

A case can be made for or against either mode of carry. You have your opinion, and others theirs. The neat part about this country is that nobody is forced to blindly accept either point of view.

Well, as someone who both open carries and concealed carries, for me it is simply a matter of convenience and location. If'n I am heading north of Thurston county, I conceal because I don't want to get "birked". Down here is Lewis county, I open carry so I don't have to stop what I'm doing, go into the house, change holster and pistol, go to town, come home, go into house, change back, etc.

Nice thing about this state is that the law is silent about open carry. Those who want to do so, can. Those who don't want to, don't have to do so. Those who try to force their opinions one way or the other....well.... As for tactics, I gave up that "tactical" world when I retired. Actually, when I re-enlisted the first time and stopped being in combat arms.

Open carry didn't work out for this guy:
Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint - TODAY'S TMJ4

Now that's funny, doesn't matter who ya are, that's just funny......................and another reason to carry a Glock, so your 1911 doesn't get stolen!

I've read it before and you're comparing apples to oranges. A burglar or bully punk may try to avoid a confrontation but someone bent on doing violence won't care. Action will always be faster then reaction but surprise is a trump card and it is lost with open carry.

Open carry didn't work out for this guy:
<broken link removed>

Wow, you just try to twist everything to your own agenda. Did you even read the report? It directly contradicts your delusional claims.

My View on Open Carry

Author: Nick Smith

I would appreciate if you weren't 'opposed' to open carry, but rather indifferent to the practice. Because a practice is not customary does not make it wrong. I believe, in the sense open carry has become less customary, it has been gun owners who have capitulated to the anti gun movement. We have been asked to hide our firearms. We have been asked to behave as criminals have behaved in the concealed carry of our firearms.

"It does scare some people"

Everyday I get up and drive in Seattle-Tacoma traffic and there are times it scares me and other drivers. However, it is not the vehicle that scares me or others it is the behavior of the driver of that vehicle. I think you will find that it is the behavior of an individual that chooses to open carry that scares others not the firearm. I have met some who concealed carry whose behavior scares me and others. I am sure that you have met people whose behavior scares you on a regular basis. In the state of Washington approximately 1 in 20 are carrying a concealed firearm. Wouldn't you rather see the firearm on a person whose behavior is poor and inappropriate then guess which of those 20 people is the one?

For the last couple of years I have carried openly and I will say that 95% of the people in public do not see my firearm. Why? Because I am polite, courteous, and professional. Furthermore, my behavior invokes trust, not fear in others. I go about my business as though I was concealed. I carry openly for that small percent that do ask and are genuinely curious about the practice and then I am willing to educate and be a positive face to gun owners.

I have chosen to come out of the closet and be transparent in my behavior and actions. I cannot be a jerk to the clerk at the grocery store. I cannot be inconsiderate to the next person getting on the bus or elevator. I have chosen to be open and honest by carrying my firearm openly. I have chosen to engage in a movement to normalize the practice. I have chosen to educate others and also to correct the behavior of others who open carry whose behavior is not polite, courteous, professional and kind. It is a burden that I actively engage.

Open carry v concealed carry. Boy this poor horse has been beat to death a gazillion times. How about, you do it your way and I will do it my way.
But if we handled it this way, many posters on this board would not have anything to argue about. They might actually have to turn off their computer and go outside and play.
:huh:

This is my new OPEN CARRY rig. It shows where my head is at. Open carried at the Tacoma 4th of July Freedom fair and had 3 groups of LEOs come over to me and tell me how they liked my holster and ask about what 1911 I had in it. I am older and DO think age plays a part in perception of open carriers.
Do what you feel comfortable with.
I am comfortable with Open Carry.
Dave
P7026825.jpg

Dave there is one other thing that I think plays a part besides "being older",,,that is "I am comfortable with..." I think your "comfort" and confidence comes out in the way you carry yourself as well.

BTW: Very nice rig: perfect for the 4th.

This is my new OPEN CARRY rig. It shows where my head is at. Open carried at the Tacoma 4th of July Freedom fair and had 3 groups of LEOs come over to me and tell me how they liked my holster and ask about what 1911 I had in it. I am older and DO think age plays a part in perception of open carriers.
Do what you feel comfortable with.
I am comfortable with Open Carry.
Dave
P7026825.jpg

Dave.......Nice Holster!

My firearm is a defensive tool to me.

If you want to use yours to make a political statement, I support your right to open carry to make that political statement.

EDIT: no curse words were intended, my phone's auto-correct liked to turn "open" into something less desirable!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads