JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice holster--and I believe that is a Colt in that holster?

I remember one time I was in public, and got out of my vehicle. It was kinda warm out, and I have a few very lightweight 5.11 jackets--but mine was still draped over the back of the seat. I got out, and stretched--and heard a gasp a few feet to my right. I turned, and saw a mother with the "deer in the headlights" look, who was grabbing for her child to GET THEM AWAY FROM THAT NASTY GUN CARRYING NEANDERTHAL!

I shook my head.

I then asked the lady, "Ma'am, are you OK? Is everything all right?"

She replied, "You just stay there, or I'll call the police!"

I then asked, "For what?" She replied, "You're carrying a GUN!!!"

I said, "You know that the carrying of firearms in the open is legal in this State, and carrying concealed is legal with a permit, don't you?" She said, "No, it isn't! I'm calling the police!"

Having enough of the rampant hoplophobia, I replied, "Ma'am, there's no need. The police are here." She turned around and looked wildly about. "Where?" When she turned around again, I was still standing there--with my badge and commissioning card in my hand.

"Right here."

She looked at me for a second in silence. I asked her, "Ma'am, have you lived here for a while?" She replied that she had.

I suggested that she look up RCW 9.41 and become acquainted with it. She became somewhat green in the gills when I said that when she was in a public place like this, she was probably--at any given time--less than 50 feet from a lawfully concealed firearm.

She replied, "You just stay there, or I'll call the police!"

I then asked, "For what?" She replied, "You're carrying a GUN!!!"

If you made her nervous because you were carrying a gun, just think how nervous she'd be with 6-8 more cops standing around, also wearing guns. Who knows, if answering a "man with a gun" call they might even be carrying their patrol rifles too.

Just think, she'd then probably have to excuse herself so she could change some clothing articles

My firearm is a defensive tool to me.

If you want to use yours to make a political statement, I support your right to bubblegum carry to make that political statement.

Wow, what a condescending ***. Gotta love the internets. Brings em all out.

Anyway, beautiful holster (and 1911) Dave, and thanks for handling situations like that Powderman - adds a bit of credibility to us "gun nuts". Keep on "bubblegum" carrying and keeping us all safer and bringing a bit of education to the uninformed masses.

Anyway, beautiful holster (and 1911) Dave, and thanks for handling situations like that Powderman - adds a bit of credibility to us "gun nuts". Keep on "bubblegum" carrying and keeping us all safer and bringing a bit of education to the uninformed masses.

Thanks man. I don't get ruffled very easy be others opinions. Ya have to live with them. :) Any way, I have better things to worry about. :) I have a 12 yr old boy thinking about CARS. OMG. LOL
Dave

...huh? I said I support his right to show off his gun in public, his second amendment right.

Displaying a firearm openly like that is definitely a political statement when one could easily conceal the same. People like tattoo want the attention and want to get the masses used to being around firearms. The fact that he has his 1911 is for defending himself, the fact that he chose to not conceal it was because he wanted to make a political statement.

I support his right to do so, just calling it as I see it. I didn't say he shouldn't have.

the fact that he chose to not conceal it was because he wanted to make a political statement.

Not necessarily. Some people, perhaps "tattoo" as well, just don't like to wear an uncomfortable "cover" on a warm day. As for the artwork, where does it say that one has to wear an unadorned holster when OC'ing? You may be "calling it as you see it" but it's possible you aren't "seeing it as it is" because of a latent prejudice.

...huh? I said I support his right to show off his gun in public, his second amendment right.

Displaying a firearm openly like that is definitely a political statement when one could easily conceal the same. People like tattoo want the attention and want to get the masses used to being around firearms. The fact that he has his 1911 is for defending himself, the fact that he chose to not conceal it was because he wanted to make a political statement.

I support his right to do so, just calling it as I see it. I didn't say he shouldn't have.

You do know that when I was a kid, the first time we came to the US, only undercover cops and bad guys CC. If you had a weapon out in the open, it was obvious you not trying to hide anything, The only time a weapon was hidden by a "normal" person was in winter, and then only because of his coat. And there was no "permit" either way. (1955)

So, it is obvious to me that if you want to hide your weapon, are you ashamed of it? you don't feel comfortable telling other people you're are armed for SD? That OC is perfectly legal in this state? There is a little F&W booklet that has RCW 9.41 and some other stuff in it that you might want to carry so you can give it away to people that are misinformed. They are free.

I have never intentionally hid anything in public. It is good to educate the masses that it IS legal, and there are good reasons to carry, OC or CC. If someone freaks out and calls the police, so what? I have only had that happen to me once in the last 40+ YEARS I have been a US citizen, and when the Chelan Sheriffs Deputy left me AFTER A TWO WORD CONVERSATION, the poor deputy had to go find the city lady that called so he could explain to her there was not a problem, I was perfectly legal. It is legal to OC, and the LEOs up here know it and never bother you. (at least in my experience)

What? Are you really saying what I think you are? Sounds just like one of the anti-gun people.
Please don't start that stuff. That whole mentality of "you either agree with my views 100% or you are the enemy" garbage is what turned the republican party into a narrow minded wasteland of ignorance and stagnation. We don't need it in the gun community. People are allowed to have varying opinions on appropriateness and legal issues and still be supporters of gun rights.

My firearm is a defensive tool to me.

If you want to use yours to make a political statement, I support your right to open carry to make that political statement.

EDIT: no curse words were intended, my phone's auto-correct liked to turn "open" into something less desirable!

Yes, I will not deny that it is part political statement. However, after 40 plus years of the NRA and gun owners hiding that political statement, we have been losing rights. We will lose the next generation of gun owners if we do not become visible and stand up for our rights. A right un-exercised is a right lost.

If you had ever met Dave (tattoo) you would know he is not after attention. Are there some after attention...yes. Are there some after respect...yes. But the truth is neither Dave nor myself do it for attention. Your welcome to meet me in public and discover that yourself. I am not going to hide who I am from the anti's anymore.

Not necessarily. Some people, perhaps "tattoo" as well, just don't like to wear an uncomfortable "cover" on a warm day. As for the artwork, where does it say that one has to wear an unadorned holster when OC'ing? You may be "calling it as you see it" but it's possible you aren't "seeing it as it is" because of a latent prejudice.

Correct, I am no longer beholden to a particular wardrobe anymore and it is quite liberating. I no longer have to wear a "Shoot Me First Vest" (TM)! lol

I never said not to. You're wearing a pistol out in the open as a political statement saying "This wont hurt you, this is legal."

Just like you said, to educate.

Where have I said otherwise?

If you had ever met Dave (tattoo) you would know he is not after attention. Are there some after attention...yes. Are there some after respect...yes. But the truth is neither Dave nor myself do it for attention. Your welcome to meet me in public and discover that yourself. I am not going to hide who I am from the anti's anymore.

I'll take you up on that. Next time you're down near the Portland area, I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can discuss how we differ on the issue. I'll even open carry with you if it is a legal area to do so to show you that I an not against it at all, only acknowledging that it is more af a means of EITHER drawing attention OR making a pro-gun statement to onlookers (in an urban area).

And I mean it, I'd gladly do this.

I have found that I am one of the people that feel more uncomfortable printing with a hidden gun, than I do with it out in the open. I also find it a lot more comfortable to OWB carry. If It was NOT legal, and my constitutional right, I would not do it. Political statement? Yep. I support my American rights. This is the one I feel strongly about, just as many feel strongly about free speech.
This is me. Take it or leave it. I can understand others opinions on this and hope others can understand mine. :)
Dave

Peter, here is something else to think about. Why should you limit yourself to small handguns that hurt when you shoot them and/or are hard to be accurate with. Years ago 41 mag was the current rage and a friend of mine asked me to try his new little short barreled Ruger in 41mag, I shot one round, did not hit what I was aiming at (about 25 yards) and handed it back to him. No thanks, I'll stay with full sized metal handguns that will put 5 of 5 in the X for me, like I did with another friend's 4" S&W 29 44mag, and/or my own 6" .38 Colt, and or my CZ 85 and several others.

I can shoot a full sized pistol fairly well. I cannot shoot a mouse gun worth a hoot. I would rather carry something I am consistant with, confident with, and can practice with. I dislike the feel of shooting something small enough, I would never practice if forced to carry it. Not a good thing.

Like I said, unless I am wearing a coat, I do not own a concealable weapon, and really do not want one. And I refuse to wear a coat when it is hot outside. I have nothing to hide, I am not ashaimed of my weapons or my holsters...AND it is legal, so what is the problem. People watch the Sheriff and his Deputies walk around OC all the time, no-one thinks that is unusual. Why should it be unusual for joe citizen?

I have found that I am one of the people that feel more uncomfortable printing with a hidden gun, than I do with it out in the open. I also find it a lot more comfortable to OWB carry. If It was NOT legal, and my constitutional right, I would not do it. Political statement? Yep. I support my American rights. This is the one I feel strongly about, just as many feel strongly about free speech.
This is me. Take it or leave it. I can understand others opinions on this and hope others can understand mine. :)
Dave

As long as you're clear about it. While personally not a huge fan of OC for myself, I've already stated that I support your constitutional right to do so. Good on you for acknowledging that you are making a statement to the public as well as the obvious defensive roles. Stand up for what you believe in. Don't be like the ones who call it less than it is. I approve of you, sir.

Peter, here is something else to think about. Why should you limit yourself to small handguns that hurt when you shoot them and/or are hard to be accurate with. Years ago 41 mag was the current rage and a friend of mine asked me to try his new little short barreled Ruger in 41mag, I shot one round, did not hit what I was aiming at (about 25 yards) and handed it back to him. No thanks, I'll stay with full sized metal handguns that will put 5 of 5 in the X for me, like I did with another friend's 4" S&W 29 44mag, and/or my own 6" .38 Colt, and or my CZ 85 and several others.

I can shoot a full sized pistol fairly well. I cannot shoot a mouse gun worth a hoot. I would rather carry something I am consistant with, confident with, and can practice with. I dislike the feel of shooting something small enough, I would never practice if forced to carry it. Not a good thing.

Like I said, unless I am wearing a coat, I do not own a concealable weapon, and really do not want one. And I refuse to wear a coat when it is hot outside. I have nothing to hide, I am not ashaimed of my weapons or my holsters...AND it is legal, so what is the problem. People watch the Sheriff and his Deputies walk around OC all the time, no-one thinks that is unusual. Why should it be unusual for joe citizen?

When did I ever complain about OC? Carry a Desert Eagle for all I care. And you can conceal a full-sized service handgun in shorts and a T-Shirt easily. Don't tell me you can't, just be honest and admit that you don't want to.

Can we please make a. New thread with your OC vs Concealed war please? This isn't even close to the original topic which was not argument but was a complement/observation.

And why does it matter? Everyone has their opinion and favorite way to carry. Are we trying to comvert the other person to your way of carrying? I don't get it. Everyone has to be "right".

I'll take you up on that. Next time you're down near the Portland area, I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can discuss how we differ on the issue. I'll even open carry with you if it is a legal area to do so to show you that I an not against it at all, only acknowledging that it is more af a means of EITHER drawing attention OR making a pro-gun statement to onlookers (in an urban area).

And I mean it, I'd gladly do this.

I will take you up on that. I have family in Vancouver and visit a few times a year. I have an Oregon CHL which makes OC legal too. I will PM you my contact data.

Dave

Precisely Dave. I ask others what is so wrong in coming out of the closet and making a political statement?
So a 5.11 vest says "Shoot Me First" but OC does not? :huh:

I fully understand and support your opinion in this matter, though I am at the other end of the spectrum. It should not be OC vs. CC, I believe in Constitution Carry; carry as you please no government blessing required.

Neither say shoot me first, that is the irony. What they say is for the criminal to go elsewhere....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top