JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What machine-gun to buy?

• M2 Carbine. It was good enough for the silent generation, it is good enough for you.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • AC-556 (or a clone) Ruger goodness, yah!

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • A Mac ... no not the computer you nerd. A Mac-10, Mac-11, etc.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Reising. Let her rip old school.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sten. God save the Queen!

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Astra Modelo 902. ¡Viva España!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Stemple creation. ("Tube gun" sounds naughty.)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • (gasp!) Machine-guns are fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up! :(

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
Get a MAC and get a Lage upper they can convert it to 5.56 308 or any other caliber

Attachments

• YmMDpjMoM1zbcRVZSxyd6e6DkPZkI2-gufYL8pC9Q2A.jpg
    YmMDpjMoM1zbcRVZSxyd6e6DkPZkI2-gufYL8pC9Q2A.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Lage-Manufacturing-Update-MAX-1115-Project-4.jpg
    Lage-Manufacturing-Update-MAX-1115-Project-4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 94
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 163
And so I am.

So, nada this afternoon, I call, the seller (or rather his idiot administrative assistance) got me mixed up with another buyer. I asked them when they thought the Form 4 would be in, she has to call me back, which I just answered, and the damn form hasn't even been filed! I realize it is hard to get good help these days, but FFS. That's not a tease, that is a swift kick to the groin. :mad:

Oh well, mag dumps, at least from that one, ain't happening this weekend.

I swear to all that is holy .... there has been more expletives filling the air in this office, in several languages, since I hung up the phone. (My wife is at least as torqued as I am right now.)

So, over the course of this year I have on at least two, if not more, occasions messaged the seller on the transfer status, they tell me they called ATF, and each time that was still in process. Sounds like horsecrap to me because we're going FFL to FFL and should be relatively fast, even if tax paid. On the other hand, I've seen longer waits, and other issues with ATF, coupled with a pandemic, so who knows. The last time I reached out to the seller I got a curt, almost nasty, reply that it is out of their hands and that they'll be sure to let me know when done.

Today, I have some time off, and I am no longer believing that a transfer between two licensed dealers is taking this f__ing long. I'm seeing paper individual and trust F4s coming back faster, after all. I call NFA branch and ... oh it was approved, on January 29, 2020. I just called them, got the evidently lobotomized secretary, said I wanted to talk to the boss, after explain why I am calling. She sounds almost panicky, possibly because I've been CCing said owner in our correspondence over the months, and it is clear to me the point of failure is this rather stupid individual, not the agency. Even if she didn't receive the approved F4, which in fairness can happen, she's full of crap that she actually called ATF those times because anything after January 29th-ish would have shown up approved on their end.

Boss man is out, but I am supposed to hear back within the next half hour. I'm going to get back to other matters, but if I don't hear back soon, I'm calling again. Idiots. :mad:

The only silver lining is a buzz-gun may be here soon. :D

Got off the horn with them. They claim they cannot find the F4 (brilliant!) but as soon as ATF emails over a copy, they'll ship expedited UPS. I asked that they forward a copy of the approved F4 at that same time because I've got zero faith in their competence at this point.

Anyway, it is what it is. I need to get on acquiring mo' magazines and a sighting system for the Lage upper.

What mags are you going to use?

Good question. Depends what I can find. I know there is at least one with the gun. I ordered a small batch from a vendor that name escapes me, but have no idea if they are good. Lage tells me they don't sell magazines, which is odd, and Practical Solutions just ran out, but tell me they should be getting more.

Long story short, not sure at this point. If anyone has links, etc., I would value it. This is a nine and the Lage runs from double-feed type magazines.

When I had mine I used the STEN mag conversion with sten mags but those were $4 a piece back then. My .45 used Greas gun mags and those were $7 a pop new in the wrap. Theyre more like a hundred a piece now.

I was going to buy a Lage upper for my SWD 11/nine, but decided instead to purchase a custom made tungsten bolt which slows down the rate of fire by half.
I had to get on a waiting list, as the machinist that makes these told me that the tungsten he uses comes from China and there is a backlog in production because of the virus.

I was going to buy a Lage upper for my SWD 11/nine, but decided instead to purchase a custom made tungsten bolt which slows down the rate of fire by half.
I had to get on a waiting list, as the machinist that makes these told me that the tungsten he uses comes from China and there is a backlog in production because of the virus.

Out of curiosity, who makes/sells these? Thanks.

A guy in Las Vegas makes these. He's a hobby machinist and a well know machine gun enthusiast.
I contacted him directly and got on his mailing list, as he only makes these when he gets enough orders and can get the tungsten.
Here's a link to an outfit that retails them. He said that around Christmas, he might start up a batch.
They're not cheap, but I figure that it will save me ammo and pay for it's self.
I learned that when talking to machinist engineers, you need to acknowledge that they are smarter then you in every aspect of their perfectionist world.

Here's his e-mail [email protected]

Last Edited:
Not read the 7 pages and will just provide comments.

Given that ammunition is expensive and hard to come by reduces the appeal somewhat. If for fun, go for it. You're not getting any younger. If for tactical use they are pretty marginal, other than sounding like a machine gun.

My only suggestions would be to get something with a replaceable barrel and if a reasonable weight. Get ample mags and don't be too surprised at how heavy they are when you are carrying enough ammo to fight with. Having a fire selector would be handy.

They are great fun to shoot but have limited range and utility. They eat ammo like a 14 year old boy can put away pizza. They do work with cast bullets. If you cast your own dump them from the mould into a tall plastic cold water filled trash can. That tends to harden the bullets, which helps with shallow rifling and feeding.

I remember when I open up my M11/9 at a soda can sitting ten feet in front of me. That thing dumped 30 rounds in about a second and a half and I didnt even get close.

I always tell people owning machine guns is free. You put down a down payment and then when you get tired of it you sell it for as much or more than you paid for it.

Maybe, but it's a tough market with, as I predicted, a lot of headaches and hassles. Very niche purchasers.

Conversely, most other normal semi-auto guns which are very easy to move, have essentially doubled in the last year. I saw a normal WASR sell for $1100 this week.

Not read the 7 pages and will just provide comments.

Given that ammunition is expensive and hard to come by reduces the appeal somewhat. If for fun, go for it. You're not getting any younger. If for tactical use they are pretty marginal, other than sounding like a machine gun.

My only suggestions would be to get something with a replaceable barrel and if a reasonable weight. Get ample mags and don't be too surprised at how heavy they are when you are carrying enough ammo to fight with. Having a fire selector would be handy.

They are great fun to shoot but have limited range and utility. They eat ammo like a 14 year old boy can put away pizza. They do work with cast bullets. If you cast your own dump them from the mould into a tall plastic cold water filled trash can. That tends to harden the bullets, which helps with shallow rifling and feeding.

Reloading is the answer to the ammo supply for full auto.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top