JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've only experienced one Tikka rifle. At the range, seems the owner fiddles with it endlessly trying to insert the plastic magazine. Otherwise, it operates as it should, and is reasonably accurate.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Never had one but I have never strayed far from Ruger and they always shoot well for me.

I got the impression that Tikka was pricier and 'maybe' worth it.

I'd like to follow this thread to see the opinions is why I posted such a pointless post...

I've been to the SAKO and Tikka factories twice in the last ten years, and was very impressed by the way they do things in both locations. All the barrels and actions for both brands are made at the SAKO factory - those intended for Tikka production then leave and go elsewhere, so the basic item is totally identical.

It's true that Tikka products are more expensive than Ruger, bearing in mind that they are exported from Finland and have to travel to the US of A and are subjected to landing taxes and so on. But then, Tikka are seen as the 'economy' version of SAKO, rightly or wrongly. Here in yUK we have club members with the mighty SAKO TRG and the Tikka T3 sniper, and trust me, there is not the slightest in the way those babies shoot.

Add that, unlike the Ruger, there are no investment castings in the production of either SAKO or TIKKA firearms, just pieces of forged steel that are shaped to their final form by CAD machinery. Me, I'd be happy to have either, especially the Tikka T3 with it's spiffy three-colour laminated stock...

tac

PS - Do NOT lose a magazine for either rifle - they are around $150 each........mind you, I have a source in Finland for older magazines...;)

It's been said the Finns do rifles like the Swiss do watches.
When it comes to Sakos and Tikkas, the only bad I ever heard about them usually boils down to a personal preference issue.

But I have heard their hollow plastic stocks sound like hollow plastic stocks when you knock them against something. So most guys fill them with something. I've heard everything from jamming plastic bread bags in them, to the use of spray foam.

But my rule of thumb is, buy/shoot what fits you best, and feels most comfortable.

Tikka t3 mags are 39$ at sportsmen's warehouse .

Sako trg mags and the new tikka ctr, that use a modified trg mag, are in the 150 ballpark.
Butter smooth actions, flawless feeding from mags, even with short mag calibers, and same barrels that are used in sako rifles.

Some people don't like the fact that they all have the same length action and don't like the plastic mags.

Been elk hunting with the same plastic mag for 9 years and still works flawlessly.

Just my .02

Re 'plastic mags' - I have six mags with my SSG69 that came with it back in 1981. They have been driven over by tank, and suffered my ham-handedness ever since. All are just fine.

There is plastic and plastic.

tac

I have both SAKO and Tikka, Both are Flawless! For the factory plastic stocks I fill them with wood and glue and let them set for days before re assembling! helps take the ring out of them! The SAKO Bavarian, with it's wood stock didn't need this, just the other two, the Finlight, and the T-3. You just cant go wrong with a Tikka T-3!!! JMHO!
BTW, My T-3 is in 7 mm mag, and it shoots sub moa all day long! I have heard of feed issues with the belted magnums, but My T-3 and Finlight are belted and have had no issues! Well worth the asking price!

I have a few Tikka rifles andnI really enjoy them. I have a Superlite with a stainless fluted barrel and it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Biggest complaints for me:

1: As a reloader, I would prefer the magazine to be a bit larger to provide more latitude for adjusting OAL, but it also hasn't been a big deal because my rifles are very accurate. I have a 308 as well and I picked up a 30-06 magazine and bolt stop. Now I got all the OAL I can stand.

2: Plastic bolt shroud. Just makes me wonder where the gas goes when something goes kaboom. Its probably not an issue.

3: Bolt handle is a bit slick. Nothing a little black baseball bat tape didn't fix. I know, kinda redneck.

4: Factory recoil pad sucks.

I believe nearly all of these issues, including the hollow stock and expanding the ejection port are addressed in the T3x.

Many of the issues No_Regerts posted can be fixed, the bolt shroud can be replaced with an aluminum one, and the bolt handle/knob can as well! Tikkashooters.com has many "upgrades" to make these better! Recoil pad can be replaced with one of the Remington Softcell pads and that is a superduper upgrade when you have a light weight hard kicker!

Thanks, I'm hoping to set it up as a 3-500 yd open country hunter, ordered a Loupold 6X18 40mm AO scope, and Nosler 175gr long range accubonds I have 4831 SC and Retumbo powders to start with.

I hope that you got the new, improved Tikka T3x that was announced earlier this year:

Only bad thing that I ever personally experienced with the T3 is that due to the rifle being so very lightweight, recoil was pretty brutal and uncomfortable with any long action cartridges, and especially so with magnum calibers. The T3's aluminum recoil lug also had issues holding up well under magnum cartridge recoil, which is why the new T3x now has a steel recoil lug instead. They also redesigned the stock and use a better recoil pad in the T3x, to address the uncomfortable recoil issue.

So I hope that you got the new T3x model. Hopefully it will not slam your shoulder like the T3 does.