JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm on the hairy edge of pushing the button for the mid-range rifle class coming up at the end of October. I have a GAP rifle in 6.5CM with a Templar action, a 26" GAP#7 Bartlein barrel, an Area419 Hellfire muzzle brake, a Manners Elite carbon fiber stock and a Nightforce 5-25x56 ATACR F1 MIL-XT scope. Needless to say, it is one heavy rig. I've spoken to someone who took this class a few years ago and they highly recommend it - lots of good solid drills that will thoroughly test you and your rifle for getting consistently reliable hits from 100 out to 700 yards with 70% of your time shooting prone. I think they recommend bringing 400 rounds of ammo.
I've zeroed the rifle at TCGC on the 100 yard range, and it is definitely a sub half MOA gun even with a relative newbie like me behind the wheel, but that's about all the shooting I've had time for. I guess I'm wondering if I should get more comfortable with this rifle - say at the 200/300 yard range at TCGC or DRRC - before diving head first into a Clint 'hard-as-nails' class - especially after reading Prefontaine's comment above on Clint's view of muzzle brakes. o_O Any thoughts?
I'm not an expert with a rifle, but it sounds like you have a significant investment in yours. I believe the mid and long range classes at Thunder Ranch can be a little hard on equipment. Not sure I would take a high end F-Class rifle to one of his sessions. Understand that there won't be anyone impressed with the pedigree of the rifle and the accuracy requirement is more along the "Minute of Badguy" lines.

But like I said, I am no expert.

I was thinking about going to the urban rifle class on October 15 but I feel like im too inexperienced to step into the ranch.Im a safe and good shooter but man I would be intimidated.

I hear ya. Feeling like a pretender, not a contender. The good news? You're never alone. When I went to SIG's Legion camp last year, I knew my pistol work was fairweather-at-best (which was why I chose to not carry.) After a few days of see what excellence looks like, and then running through Area 51 there (and not doing too well, I must say) I came away frustrated and determined. I stopped talking about shooting as much and started shooting a whole lot more - in the three months after, I probably put more downrange than I had over the past five years.

I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm far better off than I was, and it was all due to going to something I knew I'd likely be outclassed at.

You've got this, man. You should do it just to push that bar higher.

I'm not an expert with a rifle, but it sounds like you have a significant investment in yours. I believe the mid and long range classes at Thunder Ranch can be a little hard on equipment. Not sure I would take a high end F-Class rifle to one of his sessions. Understand that there won't be anyone impressed with the pedigree of the rifle and the accuracy requirement is more along the "Minute of Badguy" lines.

But like I said, I am no expert.

Yes, that's something to think about. I wanted something top notch to help compensate for whatever shortcomings I would bring to the equation and besides, I just happen to like very high quality guns. However, getting this new rifle beat all to hell on its first serious outing is probably not what I was hoping for.
I also happened to notice a photo for the class on their website showing a number of people laid out close to each other shooting their rifles from the prone position and I definitely see one with open threads on the end. So it definitely looks like muzzle brakes will be a no-no for the class. Mine is removable so that wouldn't necessarily be a show stopper for me. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

I hear ya. Feeling like a pretender, not a contender. The good news? You're never alone. When I went to SIG's Legion camp last year, I knew my pistol work was fairweather-at-best (which was why I chose to not carry.) After a few days of see what excellence looks like, and then running through Area 51 there (and not doing too well, I must say) I came away frustrated and determined. I stopped talking about shooting as much and started shooting a whole lot more - in the three months after, I probably put more downrange than I had over the past five years.

I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm far better off than I was, and it was all due to going to something I knew I'd likely be outclassed at.

You've got this, man. You should do it just to push that bar higher.

Great advice here IMHO. I have found repeatedly that most of the learning comes after the class, not during. In class you are too busy drinking through the fire hose to to sip the fine Scotch. Make is list of things you can work on after the class. Don't get me wrong, the learning is created by the good instruction, but I find the few months after is where the improvement really comes. We don't take nearly as long to mature as a 15 year old Scotch.

Hope you go and enjoy! We will all be looking for your report.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top