JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to attend a long range shooting course this year. I found both of these schools and have heard good things about them. In short, what are your group thoughts about the schools and which one is the best choice for the money?

I was not aware of Holland till your post. I have never been to Powers, Oregon. It is a fur piece out of the way! I looked at a aerial view and did not see a obvious motel and I did not really read deep into the website. It is promising.

I have been to Lakeview and stayed in at least three different motels there. Hospital with a helipad. Bad city water, safe but bad tasting. Hey Thunder Ranch is the one with the reputation, but probably pricier.

I have not been to either one. I am not a good enough shooter to attend either one. No matter which one you decide, they will likely help you improve.

Train with Clint at Thunder Ranch while you can. He has been teaching since the late 1970's. I don't know how many more years he will be doing this. Clint is a training pioneer (in innovation not age) of which many others copy. Many of today's trainers are Clint's former students.

There are other good schools but I'd train with Clint while he is still offering classes.

Train with Clint at Thunder Ranch while you can. He has been teaching since the late 1970's. I don't know how many more years he will be doing this. Clint is a training pioneer (in innovation not age) of which many others copy. Many of today's trainers are Clint's former students.

There are other good schools but I'd train with Clint while he is still offering classes.
Absolutely! I was just there in November for mid-range rifle and defensive handgun and they were awesome!

I'm a complete newbe at anything over 100 yards but they had me hitting out to 700 yards and ( I didn't know any better before) was shooting cheap AE 55 FMJ in my AR 5.56!

Great class! You'll leave with dope for your setup and will be good to go as long as you keep practicing.

Go, you will not regret it!

Edit: PM if you want to talk about TR.

I highly recommend Mike Herbes @ Oregon Precision Firearms Training

www.opfirearms.com

I have had quite a bit of hand to hand, handgun, shotgun and knife training but this was my first long range rifle class. I took the class with two other friends. I learned how to bang steel from 100 yards out to 1,200 yards by collecting my rifle's dope, learning to compensate for spin drift, read and adjust for wind based on mirage. We worked in teams. One person spots while the other shoots, trading off frequently, thus learning how to spot in addition to shooting. I've heard learning spotting is not always taught at other schools so I feel this is a more versatile class. I also learned how to successfully engage multiple targets at varying distanced. Mike Herbes is a first rate instructor and I would not hesitate to take his class again.

I'm not suggesting that Appleseed is a replacement for any of those high end courses - however, you will get a lot more value by mastering the fundamentals that we teach first. We cover position, trigger control, breath control, Natural Point Of Aim, zeroing your rifle, setting up Battle Sight Zero, compensating for wind and gravity and more.

$60 spent with us first or $90 on our KD weekend will make your $900 course that much more productive.

Please don't confuse fundamental with basic. Appleseed is not a basics course.

I didn't do rifle with Clint at TR, but I have been there for other classes. I cannot recommend it high enough. The facilities are fantastic, Clint and Heidi treat students like family. And like people have said, train with Clint before he retires...

I want to attend a long range shooting course this year. I found both of these schools and have heard good things about them. In short, what are your group thoughts about the schools and which one is the best choice for the money?
I attended the Holland school last year and was thoroughly impressed with his training materials, class room time and range time. He can bring a non shooter to hitting steel at 500 hundered yards during the first range day. He not only details the cleaning steps for the rifles but why each step is taken and the purpose along with detailing and discussing shooting in positions and why they are so imparitive to consistently delivering ethical hits at long distances. He delivers his course in a hunting genres and his hospitality is top notch. You get what you pay for and this is an amazing school. You will come away from this course with the ability and ethics it takes to take game at long ranges with confidence. HINT - zero your scope after every session or pay the price :)

Last Edited:
Are you limiting yourself to schools in Oregon?

Accuracy First - Accuracy 1st: Sniper Training & Products
Rifles Only - Classes
Thunderbeast - Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Long Range Experts | Specializing in Titanium Silencers

All three of those are Precision rifle focused schools. Thunder ranch is awesome although I know when I last looked it seemed like their classes were fully booked for quite a while. I think if I was to take a class their it would be one of their urban rifle or urban precision rifle. If I wanted a long range course I would likely go to one of the above schools.

I'm not suggesting that Appleseed is a replacement for any of those high end courses - however, you will get a lot more value by mastering the fundamentals that we teach first. We cover position, trigger control, breath control, Natural Point Of Aim, zeroing your rifle, setting up Battle Sight Zero, compensating for wind and gravity and more.

$60 spent with us first or $90 on our KD weekend will make your $900 course that much more productive.

Please don't confuse fundamental with basic. Appleseed is not a basics course.

Thanks - Planning to sign up for the KD event.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top