JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just posted a thread about an investment company shutting the doors and put it in "general discussion", nothing racial, nothing religious, it did pertain to our financial situation,and yes somewhat political but the discussion that was taking place (at least the last I saw) was civil and respectful, why was it censored? I see dozens of threads with similar topic/discussion and some are censored some are not, what gives?

Get used to it. Mods shut any thread down if it's political at all. Only exceptions are if it's gun related or if the mods wanna keep it.

From the rules page:
9. All political discussion must be directly related to firearms, gun rights, or the second amendment.

There are many different people here with many different viewpoints on various issues. Like religion, discussing these issues here is highly likely to offend and very little good can come of it. We need to be focusing on the things that bring us together (firearms), not the things that have the potential to divide us (politics).

-Curtis

From the rules page:
9. All political discussion must be directly related to firearms, gun rights, or the second amendment.

There are many different people here with many different viewpoints on various issues. Like religion, discussing these issues here is highly likely to offend and very little good can come of it. We need to be focusing on the things that bring us together (firearms), not the things that have the potential to divide us (politics).

-Curtis

I guess what I would say to that is there are at least 3 topics I just looked at in this "General discussion" section (and I stopped at that without even looking further) that didn't have mention of ANY firearm in them. I don't plan on pointing out who or what they are because that is NOT the point, my point is sometimes it is censored, sometimes it isn't. If this site wants to come across as "fair" in its censorship then it needs to do a better job of policing ALL threads and treat them all the same. Its funny how having a discussion about prepping, or about silver and gold (threads I started) may not have a thing to do about firearms but they are left alone.

Look, I mean no disrespect talking about this but sometimes the censorship goes a bit too far when there was a totally civil discussion going on about a topic that IS IN GENERAL RELATED TO PREP and the financial state of our country.

Look, I mean no disrespect talking about this but sometimes the censorship goes a bit too far when there was a totally civil discussion going on about a topic that IS IN GENERAL RELATED TO PREP and the financial state of our country.

I guess the biggest problem is that if you allow one non-gun topic the you have to allow two then three then ten then we no longer have a firearms forum but a general discussion that can be found anywhere else. The mods do their best to keep us on topic an keep things related to firearms and prep.

Much to my extreme frustration, the mods have killed a few great debates, but there has been an alternate site offered for our debating needs. I apologize, but I do not have the link handy. Hopefully someone can link it for you.

Moderating a forum is an imperfect science where you have to juggle the posted rules versus the demands of your members. And at times they do stretch the rules a bit. But I think it wold be nice if they just locked a thread versus deleting it or move it to a different forum.

I guess what I would say to that is there are at least 3 topics I just looked at in this "General discussion" section (and I stopped at that without even looking further) that didn't have mention of ANY firearm in them. I don't plan on pointing out who or what they are because that is NOT the point, my point is sometimes it is censored, sometimes it isn't. If this site wants to come across as "fair" in its censorship then it needs to do a better job of policing ALL threads and treat them all the same. Its funny how having a discussion about prepping, or about silver and gold (threads I started) may not have a thing to do about firearms but they are left alone.

This is the "off topic" area and that is why the threads can be about other things than firearm related, as long as they are not against the rules. There are rules in place for a reason and all of us need to follow them to keep the forum running smoothly. If you see something not following the rules then that should be reported using the report function that is in each and every post. Just to refresh everyones mind Rules can be found here.. <broken link removed> .

Maybe, before posting a thread or comment, it would be best to refer to these rules first.

Their forum, their rules and nobody is perfect. I beleive the moderators of this site do a good job and your admitted liberal view of things may cause you to see things differently than the site moderators
I know it takes someone's personal time to run this site and I appreciate that.
Move on.

I guess the biggest problem is that if you allow one non-gun topic the you have to allow two then three then ten then we no longer have a firearms forum but a general discussion that can be found anywhere else. The mods do their best to keep us on topic an keep things related to firearms and prep.

Much to my extreme frustration, the mods have killed a few great debates, but there has been an alternate site offered for our debating needs. I apologize, but I do not have the link handy. Hopefully someone can link it for you.

Moderating a forum is an imperfect science where you have to juggle the posted rules versus the demands of your members. And at times they do stretch the rules a bit. But I think it wold be nice if they just locked a thread versus deleting it or move it to a different forum.

<broken link removed>

This is the "off topic" area and that is why the threads can be about other things than firearm related, as long as they are not against the rules. There are rules in place for a reason and all of us need to follow them to keep the forum running smoothly. If you see something not following the rules then that should be reported using the report function that is in each and every post. Just to refresh everyones mind Rules can be found here.. <broken link removed> .

Maybe, before posting a thread or comment, it would be best to refer to these rules first.

Ok, First off I have to correct myself... it was posted in the "off topic" I believe. If it wasn't than I was wrong on that portion.

Second, I want to say this site has been great and continues to be great, no argument or debate from anybody on that and no need to post the obvious.

My frustration and maybe a lot of folks is that there are a lot of threads that are posted and let go (what about the "rules" for those?) when maybe according to the "rules" they should be locked or deleated too, not my intent, but if a thread that wasn't hurting anything is deleated than why not so many of the others? why so quick to deleate when there was good civil conversation going on something that will affect us all? what is the point of having an "off topic" section anyway? If you looked close enough just about any thread could be gone, I just don't get the censorship when it wasn't needed.

Again no disrespect here, the moderators do a very good job most of the time..

Their forum, their rules and nobody is perfect. I beleive the moderators of this site do a good job and your admitted liberal view of things may cause you to see things differently than the site moderators
I know it takes someone's personal time to run this site and I appreciate that.
Move on.

liberal view of things? Lo que sea, buen intento (whatever, nice try)

You really should pay more attention if you think I am on that side of things.

Its fine, is the issue of censorship frustraiting, yeah but I have spoke my piece. I really do like this site and respect the mods, I also know it is not an easy job, just wish off topic could be for just that, especially when it was totally pertant to whats happening in todays world.

Most gun forums do not allow political topics simply because it's a pain to moderate. Where do you draw the line on what is okay and what is not? They cannot win, so it's not allowed at all. At least here they try, and they do a good job IMO. I have had my share of disappearing posts/threads. No big deal. The key is figuring out where the line is and try not to cross it.

agreed Rufus, I think they do too.

I thought what I shared was pretty tame and compared to threads with topics such as woodstoves, not enough goofy humor, etc.

anyway, time to move on.

Ok, First off I have to correct myself... it was posted in the "off topic" I believe. If it wasn't than I was wrong on that portion.

Second, I want to say this site has been great and continues to be great, no argument or debate from anybody on that and no need to post the obvious.

My frustration and maybe a lot of folks is that there are a lot of threads that are posted and let go (what about the "rules" for those?) when maybe according to the "rules" they should be locked or deleated too, not my intent, but if a thread that wasn't hurting anything is deleated than why not so many of the others? why so quick to deleate when there was good civil conversation going on something that will affect us all? what is the point of having an "off topic" section anyway? If you looked close enough just about any thread could be gone, I just don't get the censorship when it wasn't needed.

Again no disrespect here, the moderators do a very good job most of the time..

Threads that get reported come under scrutiny, that's about as big as the great Mod conspiracy goes. People need to consider that we are volunteers and our schedules vary. I work and go to school so it's been hit or miss lately.

Threads that get reported come under scrutiny, that's about as big as the great Mod conspiracy goes. People need to consider that we are volunteers and our schedules vary. I work and go to school so it's been hit or miss lately.

so it got reported?!

I understand your guys roles here, and you guys do a great job for the most part my hats off to y'all.

I also hear ya on the work/school headache, I'm doing the same and its not easy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top