JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had this discussion many times in the past and I forget the pertinent ORS at this very moment.... BUT deadly force is deemed justified and reasonable when used against someone breaking into a DWELLING (not a detached garage, not a tool/garden shed, not a car, not an office building).

It's there, look it up. ;)
Your right. However, breaking into an occupied privately owned dwelling would not be merely considered a property crime.

Heck, I'm 25 and feel like I was born 100 years out of time.
I feel I'd fit in towards the end of the old west early 1900's, or late 1800's like 1875 or later would have been ideal, right after the metallic cartridge became popular.
Much rather live in those time periods where people didn't have their faces stuck in their cell phones 24/7 and people actually used to talk to each other.
This digital era is no good if you ask me, rather live more simply then deal with it hope to eventually live out in the sticks.
I don't much care for the clothing women my age and some women old enough to know better shouldn't be wearing, call me old fashioned but I have a lot more respect for a woman who is dressed modestly.

They used to hang people for rather trivial stuff without much evidence. What we call self defense now might put you at the end of a rope back then too.

the woman looked like woman

:D

1979:

m2oQ7Ww.jpg

As a gun owner it behooves you to know and stay within the firearm laws , where you live.
We all know the infamous phrase : "Better to be judged by 12 , than carried by 6 "
The trouble with that advice / phrase is that you are now relying on 12 strangers to decide your fate...12 folks who will probably think differently than you do....

Thoughts on using a gun to defend your property...
Stay within the law...
Shut up and lawyer up....
And the best of luck to you...
Andy

^^Beat me to it.^^

I've been before a jury as a plaintiff in a civil matter. Wish it could have just been a judge. Didn't go well for me at all.

Last Edited:
I was the foreman of a jury on a criminal trial. I was shocked, just shocked, by the ignorance of my fellow jury members. They kept wanting to make decisions based on what they had seen on some TV show about courts. Seriously. Had to keep reigning the housewives in and making the radical idiot understand we couldn't acquit just because HE didn't like police! After that experience I'd be scared to be a defendant, even if totally innocent!

I just took the Utah conciled carry class on Sunday.
You can not use deadly force to protect property.
Unless a guy is trying to steal your car and you are in it.
That's a car jacking and you can DEFEND YOUR SELF.
But even that could be question in court.
They or the anti gun people will say why didn't you just give them the car.
But if you're kids are in the car your obviously not going to just get out and let them take it.

I just took the Utah conciled carry class on Sunday.
You can not use deadly force to protect property.
Unless a guy is trying to steal your car and you are in it.
That's a car jacking and you can DEFEND YOUR SELF.
But even that could be question in court.
They or the anti gun people will say why didn't you just give them the car.
But if you're kids are in the car your obviously not going to just get out and let them take it.

Yes as I have long said, it sucks to watch as worthless scum steal stuff you worked hard for. It is certainly tempting to use force to stop them. Problem is if that force ends up with you having to pay huge sums to lawyers will it be worth it? It's not just the cost if the state comes after you criminally. There is also the family of said scum. If you hurt them, or especially if you kill them. Family will be trying to find some bottom feeder to come after money. Often if you have insurance they will pay out just to make it go away. If your insurance pays out they do not just write off that payment. They raise costs.
So bottom line? My cars are just not worth it. Voters have made a choice to make theft like this a petty crime. Since there is often no real painful consequence the thieves get worse. Unless or until the voters decide enough, nothing can really be done.

You can only use deadly physical force when your life or the life of others are in danger. You cannot use it to protect property, at least in Oregon.
You wake up in the middle of the night and kill the burglar in your bedroom.
Too bad for bad guy, even in Oregon.
Innocent protecting your property ... and maybe life, but who knew?

You wake up in the middle of the night and kill the burglar in your bedroom.
Too bad for bad guy, even in Oregon.
Innocent protecting your property ... and maybe life, but who knew?
I like your post but if he is in your bedroom he is a threat .if he is taking your keys and getting in your car he is not .
You have to let him drive away

In my opinion .
This is definitely a huge debate.
But if you cross the step into my house .
Or crawl through a window.
YOUR A$$ IS DEAD DEAD DEAD .
AND I WILL LET THE SHERIFF AND DETECTIVE .
FIGURE IT OUT .
BUT YOUR STILL DEAD

In my opinion .
This is definitely a huge debate.
But if you cross the step into my house .
Or crawl through a window.
YOUR A$$ IS DEAD DEAD DEAD .
AND I WILL LET THE SHERIFF AND DETECTIVE .
FIGURE IT OUT .
BUT YOUR STILL DEAD
I feel the same. Enter my home by breaking in, well they will carry you out. If anyone has to do this the most important thing after is not run your mouth. Let a lawyer talk. Almost every time a "good shoot" turns "bad" is because the person could not stop talking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top