JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had one from the git they started out a bit high I bought in at $149 well worth it but those lil bullliets are a PIA to load if you have big meat grippers ! Way fun to shoot cans and definitely have to use a bit of Kentucky windage but that is all part of it's allure !

Ruger came out with the Wrangler to compete with the Heritage when the Ruger Single six got to expensive. I own a Wrangler and it's OK, keep hoping the loading gate will get broke in and move easily.

How about making another covid thread just for the nostalgia?

My little wrangler is fun and it goes bang. And I can fan the hammer, which is neat. Mine won't cock unless I point it upwards though. That weird little transfer bar/safety thing in front of the firing pin flops around and hangs up on the pin if I don't get gravity to help me avoid that.

Wrangler kinda sucks because they tied the loading gate into the action to free wheel the cylinder. Loading gate is too small and stiff so cold hands in the winter wont work with it.

Heritage is ugly but a much better action, both shoot about the same.

Price is right on either and you are not buying high quality. Would love either as a kid.

My first handgun was a Single Six, loved that gun.

Last Edited:
My expectations are properly tempered. I know I'm not buying a Colt SAA.
I bought both a Colt and Phillipines made 1911 this week and I know which one I have higher expectations for. Just because it not the flagship brand/model doesn't mean it's garbage.

Yep certainly not a Colt and frankly not up to the Single Six Ruger makes but a fair priced low end Ruger for fun.
Nope, but the Single Six and Bearcats seem to be unobtanium right now anyway. Like I said, this is just a backyard plinker. I think it will get along well with my Henry Golden Boy!

I bought both a Colt and Phillipines made 1911 this week and I know which one I have higher expectations for. Just because it not the flagship brand/model doesn't mean it's garbage.
Agreed. Ruger seems to have their budget guns dialed in pretty well these days.

Plus, after committing a sizeable amount on a deposit for a vertical CNC mill recently, low-budget satisfies my budget for something I don't "need"!

Wrangler kinda sucks because they tied the loading gate into the action to free wheel the cylinder. Loading gate is too small and stiff so cold hands in the winter wont work with it.

Heritage is ugly but a much better action, both shoot about the same.

Price is right on either and you are not buying high quality. Would love either as a kid.

My first handgun was a Single Six, loved that gun.
A single six and a Wrangler is like comparing a Coupe De Ville to a Yugo lol

Lots of solid opinions in this thread. The only thing I have to add is that I have the birdshead Wrangler in the OP and a similar birdshead Heritage. I know the Heritage has the dumb plastic safety, but the birdshead grip on it feels much better (factory and the Altamont replacement). The one on the Wrangler is blockier and actually feels a bit uncomfortable to shoot. Also, for some inexplicable reason, the Heritage groups much better. Like within a quarter at 25 yards while standing kinda close which was a very pleasant surprise. It was cheaper than the Wrangler and came with a 22WMR cylinder. I put some different grips on it (Altamonts for $24) but mine came from the factory with pearl grips. Here's Heritage's own pic:
Heritage_Small_Bore_RR22MB3BHPRL_QR-a4c2dc32.webp

With all that said, these days its a bit of buy what you can when you can. Either one will be a fun plinking gun that should give you a lot of bang for your buck.

I've got a Birdshead Wrangler and, for the money, it's an alright plinker. I've shot it against a Heritage and overall consider it to be the better of the two.

It's a Desantis wild hog

That's amusing, two names in one from Florida. Kinda fitting given the product!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top