JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Neat Carbine...I like the idea.

Having jumped from many a plane and helicopter I understand how Airborne personnel are supposed to secure their weapons and gear....
But....
Does this Carbine stay with the seat or stay with the pilot...?
And if it stays with the seat....doesn't the seat and the pilot separate at a certain point...?
Andy

Cool!

I love learning about these types of things. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of this video.

2.6 million to develop? WTF?

They couldn't just buy the already done Dolos system and call it good? I couod have designed that 3 beers deep on Brownells in one night.

And I could have fit a micro handgun sized RDS like the aimpoint acro on there, along with a lighter stock, or a smaller PDW style stock, or even a folding stock.

Jeeeze.

They couldn't just buy the already done Dolos system and call it good? I couod have designed that 3 beers deep on Brownells in one night.

And I could have fit a micro handgun sized RDS like the aimpoint acro on there, along with a lighter stock, or a smaller PDW style stock, or even a folding stock.

Jeeeze.

I think that included all of the guns - they said it came out to about $1K per gun.

The Air Force says that it spent approximately $2.6 million to both craft the complete conversion and field the guns. While we don't know what the base unit price per gun was without the development costs factored in, this works out to just under $963 each. It's not clear whether or not the service purchased entirely new guns to convert or used existing M4s, but the latter course of action seems much more likely and cost effective.

Having jumped from many a plane and helicopter I understand how Airborne personnel are supposed to secure their weapons and gear....
But....
And if it stays with the seat....doesn't the seat and the pilot separate at a certain point...?
Andy
It fits in the survival kit.

I'm actually trying to find a mini reflex sight compact enough to fit in the kit mounted on the weapon yet rugged enough to survive the whole ejection-fall-landing process while still holding zero...

Well, As someone who has dwelt with these system's I can tell you there is a hell of a lot more going on then what is seen on the surface!
That kit stays with the pilot during the ejection sequence, it's tethered to his harness under the seat, it has to remain small enough to fit the limited space in the seat base and it also has to stay under a certain weight ( I don't remember the specifics) otherwise it effects the Seats performance and the parachutes performance limits! Those systems, ACES III Seats have a lot of space, but everything the pilot is going to need has to fit and a small rifle has always been a dream, and while there have been some small carbines issued in the past, none were particularly good, looks like that has now changes for the good!

As to the costs, it includes the costs of procurement, spares, maintenance and ammo/mags, as well as logistical support, and storage!
It also had to go through the trials and selection process and pilot training, as well as air craft ground crew training, and special ops crew training and procedures!
This should give you a idea of how much space were talking about!
1581821776400.png
1581821830861.png
1581822198148.png
THe Pilot also carries additional gear and equipment ON his body, and certain Air frames also have a small survival kit built into them that can be accessed if they can be found/reached/ survived enough!

But....
Andy
The air force? Getting out of a chair?

Jeeeze.
Right? Cry havoc has been around a while, why them over the dolos, or leo systems?

It fits in the survival kit.

I'm actually trying to find a mini reflex sight compact enough to fit in the kit mounted on the weapon yet rugged enough to survive the whole ejection-fall-landing process while still holding zero...
I think aimpoint is releasing anew pistol optic that isnt single lens.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top