JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really want to like the Colt Defender I bought in January, but if you've been following my tales of woe, you know that I can't bring myself to completely trust it with my life. It's been slightly finicky from the start. It has a current failure rate of about 4%, which I don't think is nearly good enough for EDC. I know others have had no problems with their Defenders, and some would bet their life on 'em, but that hasn't been my experience - at least so far.

So I'm thinking of selling it and moving to a Commander, either lightweight or combat. The Commander is a proven model that's not much bigger than the Defender, which I can easily switch to without much adjustment. Ideally, I want a gun that I can use both at the range and for self defense, and I don't want to clutter my safe with guns I'm not shooting, or feel guilty about ignoring, or am angry at for disappointing me.

I haven't made up my mind completely on this yet. I still want to try and save my relationship with the Defender, but I find myself increasingly toying with the thought of moving on.

I know some of you will say "Why a 1911? Get something cheaper and more reliable!" -- I get it. I know there are great firearms out there designed and built within the last 50 years that have great reputations. But the sad truth is that I've decided I'm a 1911 guy, and .45 is my caliber of choice. Don't try to talk me out of it because you can't. I've met the girl for me; sure, she's 106 years old but I'm stickin' with her.

I'm looking at perhaps a Sig, but I do like the Colt Combat Commander. Should I stick with Colt even in the wake of my disappointment? I don't know.

Also, I need to keep it under $1000.

Anyway, I'm just ruminating here. Any thoughts and discussion is welcome.

I know some of you will say "Why a 1911? Get something cheaper and more reliable!" -- I get it. I know there are great firearms out there designed and built within the last 50 years that have great reputations. But the sad truth is that I've decided I'm a 1911 guy, and .45 is my caliber of choice. Don't try to talk me out of it because you can't. I've met the girl for me; sure, she's 106 years old but I'm stickin' with her

I'm with you 100% on this. Same thing, I know there are new very reliable pistols out there for half the price of 1911s.... but I don't care. The 1911 melts in my hands and shoots the best.

a few questions for your dilemma.... did you buy the gun new and if so have you contacted Colt? I had a new Sig that was a jam-o-matic... took 2 trips to the factory under warranty, but now runs flawless. I also recall mulling what to do with it if it couldn't be fixed but Sig paid for everything so it worked out well (this wasn't a 1911...).

My suggestion is if Colts warranty wont fix it for you then take it to a gunsmith. The reason is that might be cheaper than selling and buying something else new.... depending on the repair. Consider, Ive never had a 1911 that didn't run flawlessly.... it might be something as simple as polishing the feed ramp or replacing an extractor or ejector.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a sig 220 carry. It's a fairly proven platform. It's also a lot like a 1911, save for the safeties. The decocker is a pretty nice feature.
See you in the classifieds! LoL

My favorite handgun I own is my combat commander. Was my first 1911 and we will never part ways. Even sold a combat commander I got on a trade a few years ago and wish I could find that gun again. If it was a bit lighter for edc would be nice though. There's always the lightweight models though.

I run a Ruger lightweight Commander and it is a daisy! Also love the Sig P220. Sigmadog best wishes in your decisions. Welcome to our 1911 madness. LOL I got almost 1000 rounds of 45acp to reload to take back to the range. Yeah, we are having fun now!

If it's your ccw and you can't trust it I would either

Send it back
Take it to a Smith
Part ways. You have given it enough chances and selling it may be easier. There are many pistols from different manufacturers that will go bang every time.

If you like a small .45 , there are better choices than Glock and Colt :eek::D

1010076.jpg

Ignore the comments from the Tuppernutz Gallery. :D

I think pursuing the warranty coverage is a good idea. After that, gun smith, or dump it.
If you love the 1911 platform, why change. I know Sigs and CZs feel great, and personally, I would only go with all steel.
I have a Kimber ultra CDP. Dead nutz as long as I do my part, and runs flawlessly.

Ignore the comments from the Tuppernutz Gallery. :D

I think pursuing the warranty coverage is a good idea. After that, gun smith, or dump it.
If you love the 1911 platform, why change. I know Sigs and CZs feel great, and personally, I would only go with all steel.
I have a Kimber ultra CDP. Dead nutz as long as I do my part, and runs flawlessly.

Tuppernutz ? Will my nuts last longer than usual ?:D

I don't get caught up in the brand game. If you shoot it well and it's reliable keep it.

The XD mod3s have pistol whip zone on the barrels. :D

I really want to like the Colt Defender I bought in January, but if you've been following my tales of woe, you know that I can't bring myself to completely trust it with my life. It's been slightly finicky from the start. It has a current failure rate of about 4%, which I don't think is nearly good enough for EDC. I know others have had no problems with their Defenders, and some would bet their life on 'em, but that hasn't been my experience - at least so far.

So I'm thinking of selling it and moving to a Commander, either lightweight or combat. The Commander is a proven model that's not much bigger than the Defender, which I can easily switch to without much adjustment. Ideally, I want a gun that I can use both at the range and for self defense, and I don't want to clutter my safe with guns I'm not shooting, or feel guilty about ignoring, or am angry at for disappointing me.

I haven't made up my mind completely on this yet. I still want to try and save my relationship with the Defender, but I find myself increasingly toying with the thought of moving on.

I know some of you will say "Why a 1911? Get something cheaper and more reliable!" -- I get it. I know there are great firearms out there designed and built within the last 50 years that have great reputations. But the sad truth is that I've decided I'm a 1911 guy, and .45 is my caliber of choice. Don't try to talk me out of it because you can't. I've met the girl for me; sure, she's 106 years old but I'm stickin' with her.

I'm looking at perhaps a Sig, but I do like the Colt Combat Commander. Should I stick with Colt even in the wake of my disappointment? I don't know.

Also, I need to keep it under $1000.

Anyway, I'm just ruminating here. Any thoughts and discussion is welcome.

If you want to go with a Commander size I would go light weight. When you handle them there is a noticeable difference. I can feel it when I carried one. The same gun in steel feels to me like a full size. The tech has come a LONG way on 1911's and they have proven they can make 3inch slide versions work now. I understand how you feel about yours. It was why I ended up with several Detonics back in the day. I wanted SO VERY badly to love them. I just never could get one to work 100% and gave up. So if you want to stay in this size there are some that will work.

If you want to go with a Commander size I would go light weight. When you handle them there is a noticeable difference. I can feel it when I carried one. The same gun in steel feels to me like a full size.

this is true.

if one really wants a difference, get a CCO size...

Well just don't try and sell it here. This thread already has me looking out for, and NOT buying, your Colt. :D

Take a look at the Ruger commander. A coworker just bought one for his son who is getting out of the Army. Said they took it to the range and put 100+ rounds down range and it was amazing. I have no first hand knowledge of it but it sounds like a great shooter. Price point is right as well if I remember right he only paid $850

Maybe @Myk357 can shed some more lite on it since its his son. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top