JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in liberal bubblegum hole Eugene. I have worked at the police station a lot and have unprovoked heard a ton of stories about dispatching injured animals. Most cops don't really like doing it, they feel it's a waste of their time. They laughed and giggled at the incompetence of the elite UO professors that call and ask to have an animal taken care of. So it may be illegal, but if your discrete, your most likely not getting in trouble for it. The roadkill laws just recently changed here in Oregon. We can harvest it now, so I am not sure what that does as far as finishing a wounded animal off.

One of the real differences between Eugene and Twisp is that Twisp is in a huge, very rural county, with very few LEO's. The time between a call and response out in the hinterlands of Okanogan County can truly be hours. This is why not being able to dispatch a wounded animal, be it deer, cow, dog, or whatever is stupid. I understand the purpose of the law, which is to keep poachers from merely saying that the deer laying in the road was merely a put down from a car hit. Or, to keep Bubba from negligently discharging a firearm in a more populated area - trust me, there are more than a few Bubbas out in Okanogan County. I don't carry every day where I live, but I do in Okanogan County.

Myself I have an old break action 20 gauge NEF youth model I got for 10 bucks that someone had run over the very end of the barrel and bent it. I just cut it off to legal length + 1 " and leave it tucked behind the truck seat in a gun rack. That was my El-cheapo solution and if it gets stolden or scratched up,,,who cares for 10 bucks,,,

Okay, guys, I get it, you think I was being a jerk, and I'll grant you could be partially right. When I carry or don't is for my reasons and is my business, there are practical factors that militate against being armed at all times FOR ME. Someone that doesn't know me or my circumstances giving a simplistic answer to a question I didn't ask just tends to rub me the wrong way, thus my post. As to the rest of it, never mind, it was a passing fancy that really has more going against it than for it. Later.

Dave

Your thread is like asking what kind of torque wrench you should use to frame your house. If you just said you wanted a good, inexpensive torque wrench, I would have told you. Instead, you mentioned framing your house, a task in which a new torque wrench isn't necessary (or logical) since it already sounds like own hammers.

So, if you started a thread asking purely what would be the better buy: HiPoint or Ruger, my answer would be Ruger. If not terribly refined, its reliable and effective.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the info on the Ruger, I'm totally unfamiliar with it, so that was helpful. As to why .45 ACP, I just like the cartridge, and I usually have lots more .45 on hand than .22 LR. And when I do carry, it's usually a .45. Down side to using a .22, it's not a legal caliber in this state for large game, period. Granted, the chances of getting charged are slim, but the cost could be very high if my luck runs the way it usually does :rolleyes:. I've had run ins with small town sheriffs in the past, it's almost never been a pleasant experience. Later.

Dave
Get a 9mm and you'll likely carry it all the time.
Way better than a .45.

Myself I have an old break action 20 gauge NEF youth model I got for 10 bucks that someone had run over the very end of the barrel and bent it. I just cut it off to legal length + 1 " and leave it tucked behind the truck seat in a gun rack. That was my El-cheapo solution and if it gets stolden or scratched up,,,who cares for 10 bucks,,,
Something along those lines occurred to me as well.. a cheapo shotgun would be short-range effective- either an old single-shot or say a used mossie bolt in 12 or 20 ga... The only problem I have with that is- I never keep a firearm around that would leave me the scheisse end of the stick if my LIFE depended on it. Cuz ya never know...

Last Edited:
I define a truck gun as something I'm stays in the rig

I keep a marine 870 and pistol. It's in addition to what I already CC. Its extra, knife, mags, ammo, light, water.

I use to cheap beaters to fill this roll, but I have move to more high end stuff.

My family and I stayed in Twisp this weekend, and it was unbelievable how many deer there are! They're like rodents, with herds of them in most every field. Reading this thread made me nervous to drive there.

Slow down and pay attention
oooooooooooh is that the secret? Why don't we put deer crossing signs where we want them to jump headlong into the road, too? Maybe a little crossing guard with a flag and some flashing lights.... oh and just the cutest little whistle to let me know bambi needs to take a walk.

oooooooooooh is that the secret? Why don't we put deer crossing signs where we want them to jump headlong into the road, too? Maybe a little crossing guard with a flag and some flashing lights.... oh and just the cutest little whistle to let me know bambi needs to take a walk.
No, just slow down and pay attention.

Blue Tongue has wiped out a significant number of the deer around here, unfortunately. And fortunately since I commute 15 miles one way through deer country. Usually have a couple of close calls around the rut. Haven't even SEEN a deer on my daily commute for months.

Years ago, I hit a deer. Deputies responded. Deer was suffering on the side of the road and a deputy tried to use his .45 acp to dispatch it. The bullet bounced right off the deer's skull. The other deputy pulled out his Glock 9mm and at the same distance and angle, was able to put it out of it's misery with one shot.

It was pretty enlightening. Only one example, but it showed how bigger and slower is not always better when trying to kill something.

In any case, for the sole purpose of putting a deer out of it's misery with a head shot, I'd look at a smaller and faster caliber.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top