JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in the mule deer capitol of the PNW, live here long enough and you WILL hit one (I've hit 2 in 20 years). So I'm thinking of getting a cheap gun to keep in the truck primarily to dispatch an injured critter for those times when I'm not carrying. Am thinking .45 ACP since I already have several and reload for it. So what's the cheapest .45 auto that would still be worth buying? I can get a Hi Point for less than $200, or jump to a Ruger SR 45 for about $250. That's about as high as I'd care to go, I don't intend to leave it in the truck all the time, but I also don't want to risk losing something more valuable.

So who owns either of the above, or has something similar, and what do you think? I just need something that will go BANG! fairly consistently, it won't be used as an SD piece, nor will it see much use, other than to verify function. I normally prefer guns with metal frames and hammers, but in this case, I don't care. Thanks.

Dave

Ruger Wrangler or a Heritage Rough Rider.

There is a Wrangler in the classifieds right now for $135.

I live in the mule deer capitol of the PNW, live here long enough and you WILL hit one (I've hit 2 in 20 years). So I'm thinking of getting a cheap gun to keep in the truck primarily to dispatch an injured critter for those times when I'm not carrying. Am thinking .45 ACP since I already have several and reload for it. So what's the cheapest .45 auto that would still be worth buying? I can get a Hi Point for less than $200, or jump to a Ruger SR 45 for about $250. That's about as high as I'd care to go, I don't intend to leave it in the truck all the time, but I also don't want to risk losing something more valuable.

So who owns either of the above, or has something similar, and what do you think? I just need something that will go BANG! fairly consistently, it won't be used as an SD piece, nor will it see much use, other than to verify function. I normally prefer guns with metal frames and hammers, but in this case, I don't care. Thanks.

Dave
SR 45 is fine I haven't had any issues. The poly frame and stainless slide also help for vehicle carry with prolonged moisture/ heat to reduce possible rust. Not sure why 45 ( I know reloading) if you are not going to be using it for defense or much at all. I would just go with a .22 pistol as mentioned with some stingers or other hollow point high velocity ammo for dispatching a deer. Could be used for defense if really needed as well, besides a single action 22 is better to lose than a semi auto 45, less likely to be used in a crime if stolen. I live in an area with a lot of deer and have hit a couple as well as dispatching many over the yrs others have hit. :s0159:

SR 45 is fine I haven't had any issues. The poly frame and stainless slide also help for vehicle carry with prolonged moisture/ heat to reduce possible rust. Not sure why 45 ( I know reloading) if you are not going to be using it for defense or much at all. I would just go with a .22 pistol as mentioned with some stingers or other hollow point high velocity ammo for dispatching a deer. Could be used for defense if really needed as well, besides a single action 22 is better to lose than a semi auto 45, less likely to be used in a crime if stolen. I live in an area with a lot of deer and have hit a couple as well as dispatching many over the yrs others have hit. :s0159:

Thanks for the info on the Ruger, I'm totally unfamiliar with it, so that was helpful. As to why .45 ACP, I just like the cartridge, and I usually have lots more .45 on hand than .22 LR. And when I do carry, it's usually a .45. Down side to using a .22, it's not a legal caliber in this state for large game, period. Granted, the chances of getting charged are slim, but the cost could be very high if my luck runs the way it usually does :rolleyes:. I've had run ins with small town sheriffs in the past, it's almost never been a pleasant experience. Later.

Dave

Not helpful, do me a favor, in the future, if you can't be bothered to read what I post, please don't bother to respond. Later.

Dave

Some of us don't have to guess about this, because we actually use what we have. You've been lead to water. Hope your truck gun doesn't get stolen and used against some decent unsuspecting person. Then again, no loss to you because its cheap.

hint.

You don't need a legal hunting weapon to dispatch road kill. The missing verbiage that would require a center fire is "hunting"

A cheap .22 SA revolver would be ideal. You can carry 50 22LR in the space in takes to carry one 8-10 round .45 mag.

Sounds like you really just want a cheaper .45 to play with. Look around online, I have seen M&P .45 trade ins for like $225 before. That gun will have better support when it comes to holsters, mags and spare parts than the Ruger

That could be hidden well enough so smash and grab thieves wouldn't find it in the glove box and use it against my wife to steal her purse.

Somebody needs a Snickers...
1589466204240.png

Thanks for the info on the Ruger, I'm totally unfamiliar with it, so that was helpful. As to why .45 ACP, I just like the cartridge, and I usually have lots more .45 on hand than .22 LR. And when I do carry, it's usually a .45. Down side to using a .22, it's not a legal caliber in this state for large game, period. Granted, the chances of getting charged are slim, but the cost could be very high if my luck runs the way it usually does :rolleyes:. I've had run ins with small town sheriffs in the past, it's almost never been a pleasant experience. Later.

Dave
I was under the impression you were putting down a deer due to being hit by a car that is why I said .22 pistol. For that purpose it doesn't matter what caliber you use as you are not hunting with it. It was also mentioned you wouldn't use it much so a box of 50 rounds of 22lr would last a while, another reason I suggested it. If you plan on using more than what you mentioned in the OP then yes the .45 would be the way to go as you have a supply of it on hand and could reload it to fit the application if desired.

There's nothing wrong with the above mentioned caliber choices but I'd personally feel more comfortable with a .45 over a rimfire but to each his own. I'm not about to open that argument on what is effective and not. Regarding OP's choice of brand, I like the Ruger reputation when it comes to lower end priced hand guns. Ruger may not be the best at fit and finish but a $250 isn't intended to win any beauty contests. Ruger's reputation of over built guns is what gives me peace of mind when looking for low cost budget firearms that function is the primary concern.

Okay, guys, I get it, you think I was being a jerk, and I'll grant you could be partially right. When I carry or don't is for my reasons and is my business, there are practical factors that militate against being armed at all times FOR ME. Someone that doesn't know me or my circumstances giving a simplistic answer to a question I didn't ask just tends to rub me the wrong way, thus my post. As to the rest of it, never mind, it was a passing fancy that really has more going against it than for it. Later.

Dave

The last time I hit a deer in Twisp I was told by the WA State Patrol that it is not legal to dispatch a wounded animal in the right of way. Only law enforcement has that ability. I personally think it would be dick move to write a guy a ticket for putting down an injured deer. Personally, I would put the critter out of it's misery and if there were legal ramifications, so be it. I would no more wish see a wild animal suffer than I would my own dog. What's right is right and sometimes the law doesn't match up with that.

The last time I hit a deer in Twisp I was told by the WA State Patrol that it is not legal to dispatch a wounded animal in the right of way. Only law enforcement has that ability. I personally think it would be dick move to write a guy a ticket for putting down an injured deer. Personally, I would put the critter out of it's misery and if there were legal ramifications, so be it. I would no more wish see a wild animal suffer than I would my own dog. What's right is right and sometimes the law doesn't match up with that.

I live in liberal bubblegum hole Eugene. I have worked at the police station a lot and have unprovoked heard a ton of stories about dispatching injured animals. Most cops don't really like doing it, they feel it's a waste of their time. They laughed and giggled at the incompetence of the elite UO professors that call and ask to have an animal taken care of. So it may be illegal, but if your discrete, your most likely not getting in trouble for it. The roadkill laws just recently changed here in Oregon. We can harvest it now, so I am not sure what that does as far as finishing a wounded animal off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top