JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I have mentioned in previous posts, it bothers me when I see posts asking, "When can I legally shoot someone?" as though it's something to be desired. From my combat and LEO experiences, I assure you the reality doesn't live up to the fantasy for most people. In the below video, the police officer's reactions to having just shot and killed a man may be eye-opening to some.

There is always a lot of bravado on the net. Nothing new there. It was like this around the local watering hole before algore invented the net. Often from frustration. Most who have ever killed someone would love to have not had to do so. I have, wish it had not happened, long ago quit losing sleep over it. Would do it again if needed but would love to not have to. The bravado is pretty harmless as long as it does not lead to them doing something really stupid. Like the guy who opened up on the car fleeing his home and shot a neighbor instead.

It's much more Satisfying to NOT shoot someone than it is to shoot someone! Fortunately, I have never had to even shoot at someone but I did have to shoot at someone during War Time but we didn't stick around to find out if anyone was hit. I put 90 rounds out in their direction just as fast as I could with my Car-16 while the two guys in back we're trying to get to a couple of M-14s with selector switches and cocked and locked 20 round magazines. The driver was doing his best to get us out of Harms Way, which he did! :):):)

Everyone reacts differently to taking a life.

Usually that reaction does not make us a good person or a bad person.

Just saying. Not everyone loses their bubblegum when they kill a bad guy.

OK, I had no idea what all the bubblegum crap was that kept popping up in threads, thought it was some sort of cool little phrase that the old timers here used.

Since I rarely use profanity, I had no idea that the site software replaces cuss words with "bubblegum". Until now.

Hilarious!

Everyone reacts differently to taking a life.

Usually that reaction does not make us a good person or a bad person.

Just saying. Not everyone loses their bubblegum when they kill a bad guy.

OK, I had no idea what all the bubblegum crap was that kept popping up in threads, thought it was some sort of cool little phrase that the old timers here used.

Since I rarely use profanity, I had no idea that the site software replaces cuss words with "bubblegum". Until now.

Hilarious!

It's grief.... PTSD is grief. Some wail and gnash their teeth and sit in a pile ash wearing sackcloth while mourning, others compartmentalize it and move on, some do something in the middle of the two, while others lay awake at night very angry... wondering WTF it was all for in the first GD place....

:mad:

And yes, "bubblegum" is what us "cool guys" use to make you wonder what in the bubblegum we're really saying to you sorry bubblegums.

;)

I responded to a domestic call and another Officer arrived as backup for me. We ended up shooting and killing the suspect. My backup officer almost quit over this incident. It affected him quite a bit. I think he was off work for a couple of months before coming back to work. It is not something that anyone I know has ever wanted to do.

I'm sure I have a good idea how I would react during and after an incident like the above.

I don't think it would be much different. The incredible adrenaline high wearing off and coming to the immediate terms of what just happened would be really rough.

After much thought on this after four combat tours and the knowledge that I gained about myself from this experience...
I have decided that it isn't good or bad... It was just something that needed to be done , if I wanted to come home and have my buddies come home.

It is not something that I take lightly , or brag about
I have made peace with myself for having the willingness to shoot well at another who was shooting at me , and using that skill to do what was needed to get home alive.

I truly hope that no one has to kill another.
For those that have , I hope they find the peace and understanding of themselves and their actions , that they deserve.
Andy

I have never been close to it and don't want to. The only cool thing would be going home to your family when you otherwise wouldn't

For those of you that have had to take a life I just don't know what to say other than find peace with it however you can.

Don't know.. odd that he was very cool and calm until placed in front of the dashcam. Heard a lot of noise but it seemed a bit contrived. But the point is well taken, gunfire should always be the last resort.

"When can I legally shoot someone?" as though it's something to be desired.
Those two statements don't necessarily go together... you're making connections and/or assigning motive without enough information to do so.

The first part is an (admittedly) indelicate way to phrase a perfectly legitimate question about self-defense, castle doctrine, SYG, etc laws and how they pertain to situational... uhh... situations. Asking the question does not indicate intent nor desire. Furthermore, with all of the internet bravado I see almost daily (gun forums... GEEZ), I don't think I've ever read a post that asks that question specifically, in that parlance.

The various gun and SD laws can be tricky, especially when you cross state lines frequently as I do... I have to be fluent in SD and CC regulations in the 4 states I travel to/through every week. What I don't do is ask for legal advice on a gun forum... but that's just me.

Anyway, my original point was that I haven't seen what you described here at NWFA (or anywhere else). If someone had posted something that smacked of a desire to open fire (and looking for a way to get away with it) they would have rightfully been flamed into nonexistence.

Those two statements don't necessarily go together... you're making connections and/or assigning motive without enough information to do so.

The first part is an (admittedly) indelicate way to phrase a perfectly legitimate question about self-defense, castle doctrine, SYG, etc laws and how they pertain to situational... uhh... situations. Asking the question does not indicate intent nor desire.

Agreed. Legitimate question for those of us that have self-defense firearms and intend to use them as such if necessary.

I've not had to ask that question as I had mandatory training (USCG) in the how, where, why and when of using force, including lethal force in those circumstances.

No one who hasn't had to do it, can really say exactly how they will respond during or after shooting someone. Most well adjust people will say they hope they never have to shoot someone. I never have had to shoot a human and I hope I never do, but I prepare for it just in case. Mostly I try to avoid the circumstances where it might happen. I don't carry daily - I carry rarely. I just don't think I need to - used to, but not so much now.

That said, I think more along the lines of Andy. I've been in a number of emergency crisis situations where people's lives are on the lines. I've seen people badly hurt, I've seen people put in body bags - part of being a first responder. I just did my job because it was necessary. I hope I will be able to do the same again if my life, or the life of an innocent is on the line again - whatever it takes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top