JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Why we should have an ?Opt Out? organ donation policy ? MSNBC
I've had organ donor on my DL from day one but it was my choice. Over the years I've changed my mind back and forth but never changed my organ donor status making my wishes official. If this automatic donor thing becomes law I'll probably opt out for sure! Another over reach of the State, who do they think they are?

Cradle to grave nanny state and beyond!

As it says in the article: No one is taking your organs without consent. But if you say nothing, you'll be presumed to have opted in.

I see nothing wrong, and everything right, with this - thousands of lives could be saved.

I don't know. Tie it in with the big changes Obamacare will bring. Why the need to have so many organs to harvest that you need to trick the lazy or uninformed into being donors?
I'm not against transplants but it's not for me. Like I said I've still got it on my DL. but am having doubts.
There was an old book/movie called Coma that was about misuse/killing off of organ donors. Creepy stuff, people sell their organs now in 3rd world countries.
When wearing my tinfoil hat voices tell me it's wrong this opt out thing.

You see nothing wrong until they start pushing people into the grave because they need body parts.

Like the Chinese body part harvesting markets? Scary stuff.

I had a friend barely escape body harvesting at the Red Lion Vancouver a few years back. A random visit by a maid saved him.

I am an organ donor because I could care a less about my body after I die - hopefully w/o assistance lol - you can throw it into the nearest dumpster, carve stuff out of it, don't care at all.

A beautiful young brunette met him at the bar there and bought him wine, charmed him, then said she had a room there if he wanted to go up for a nightcap. She wasn't a 'pro', very articulate and professional; he asked lol.

She kept offering him wine which was waiting in the room, but had none herself.

The conversation in the room turned to his health history which he thought was odd and he shared that he had testicular cancer in 1995 and various health problems. About the time this was revealed she turned cold, a maid/security person came knocking about a loud talking complaint and it was stated that the room was not even booked properly; the girl, her two friends and suitcases full of equipment were in the room next to it however.

At that point he hadn't done the math and they parted ways. They did claim that all the large hardcased equipment was photography stuff and that she was a model preparing for a shoot the next day.

My friend was a '4' on a good day; no model is going to pick him up and take him to her room for any reason, except some nefarious purpose.

He probably would have lost a kidney or maybe his eyes and then a 911 call would have been made as they left him there. More common than people would believe and the worst of crimes.

Apparently the people receiving the parts only want them from someone with a good health history though and my friend's past history made him a no go anyway. A kidney can go for $200k+ on the black market so yes, there are people that are happy to take them from you. No murder charge risk, just assault (see 911 call).

Learning lesson - if you are at a hotel bar and it is too good to be true, it probably is; RUN.

I'd know something was up as soon as a beautiful young brunette wanted ME to go to HER room. I've always had to put out a lot more effort for things to happen and now that I'm bordering on old looking, forget it! These body parts stories always creeped me out though, my kidneys are hurting now just thinking about it!

As it says in the article: No one is taking your organs without consent. But if you say nothing, you'll be presumed to have opted in.

I see nothing wrong, and everything right, with this - thousands of lives could be saved.

I DON"T want to save thousands of lives. there are to many people now.

Every year there are less and less viable donors.
You can blame all of the safety equipment mandated by the Feds, air bags, helmets, ABS brakes, etc, etc.
My 62 year old brother in-law is waiting for a heart. He is currently on a heart pump.
Has about a year before the pump won't keep him alive anymore. The weird thing about the pumps is that you don't have a pulse, it keeps a constant pressure flowing through your heart.
You live with a battery pack, pump and the computer strapped to your waist 24/7. It's a real panic when the alarm goes off and you have to switch batteries or controller.
Healthiest guy I ever met, no smoking, drinking or drugs, just caught a virus that attacked his heart five years ago.
Your health is your greatest wealth and a lot of people take theirs for granted.

Sorry to hear about your brother jbett98. My uncle had a liver transplant [heavy drinker] that gave him another 8 years he felt he needed. My thinking at this time is it's not for me but
more power for those that want it. Just don't like the opt out thing for this or anything else for that manner. Good luck!

My brother was an organ donor and while I support this program and am still signed up to be a donor I think people should be aware of 3 things:
1. Organs can include tissue and bone.
2. When collecting organs, the people handling the body may be in a hurry or may not treat the body as well as might be hoped. Their job is to recover the usable portions of the body quickly. Maintaining the appearance of the body is a secondary concern.
3. As part of the donation process there are screening questions that must be answered by the next of kin. These questions include travel, sexual history and medical history. The questions are very similar to the blood donor questions the Red Cross asks and may be very difficult to think about in the hours following the death of a loved one.
I don't want to discourage anyone from being a donor, I still think it does good things. I just think people need to know these things about the process to lessen the shock later or make a more informed decision now.

A lot more people would be donors if they had assurances and specifics as to how body is treated after harvesting of the organs. Some don't want to end up in a medical school or put on display half dissected, posed and preserved in some macabre touring exhibition.

Really? If you have a child that dies it should not be your choice to have him "parted out" like an automobile, it should be the governments choice?

Here - read this part again: As it says in the article: No one is taking your organs without consent. But if you say nothing, you'll be presumed to have opted in.

A parent has a choice as to whether his/her kid will be in the program or not.

Hack me up, part me out, reuse whatever is still good and dump the rest. I'm dead at that point, if my carcass can be stripped of parts that help a blind man see or a heart patient live long enough to spend time with his children or grandchildren then by all means do it. I dont have a problem with the opt-out part either, if someone has religious beliefs that prohibit organ transplants I totally respect that but the assumption should be that donation is agreed to.

If you're a donor 911 may respond a little slower if they're missing certain body parts, Or somebody with less serious injuries may get first medical attention just so they can get the parts they need if you are just over the age that the government sets.
For some reason the movie soylent green keeps popping into my head.
Which you should watch before making up your mind on this topic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top